Quantcast

Michelin comp 16's in 2.5 - Any online retailer have them

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
As above. Can you post a link to any websites that have these in stock?
You cant get them in Euro world anymore.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Apparently there is a dock-worker strike in france. At least this is what our michelin contact is telling our team. There might be stocking issues in the future, FYI

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Nope Michelin are just no longer producing them. Apprantly they are working on a new tyre range that will be launched at Euro bike next year.
I emailed Micheling and that was the reply.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Nope Michelin are just no longer producing them. Apprantly they are working on a new tyre range that will be launched at Euro bike next year.
BINGO!!!!!! They are working hard to get the Team Riders tires through one more Batch Run, but that may not happen as well.

2010 will be the year everyone in the Bicycle Tire industry copies Michelin again like they did in the late 90's.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
This is the exact situation. The dock strike was the reason for a lack of tires at the beginning of last season. For '09 there will be very small amounts of michelin tires available, even for team riders.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
So thats a no on anyone having them instock???
Also Not sure what your beef with the sidewall is? I want comp 16s over maxxis partly becuase of side wall stiffness of the comp 16

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So thats a no on anyone having them instock???
Also Not sure what your beef with the sidewall is? I want comp 16s over maxxis partly becuase of side wall stiffness of the comp 16
I love comp 16s. I run lots of comp 16s tubeless. Comp 16s flat like crazy and michelins in general have terrible sidewalls.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
not if they don't fix their sidewalls. maxxis has that part dialed; michelin, not so much.
Funny how you say that as I never in my 12+ years of riding and racing on them have never had a sidewall problem...... Plus I run them Tubeless.

I have heard others say they had problems with the sidewalls, but I think it's more like:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Michelins are fine if you run tubless, but if you don't they are prone to flatting fairly easily. Maxxis on the other hand, while i can't comment on their tubless performance, simply do not flat when used with tubes. I run 2.5 minions and high roller with xc tubes and 22-25 psi and have had one flat in 3 years. running 30psi in my old comp 22's and comp 16's resulted in dozens of flats. wrapping the dh tube in another tube helped but it felt like pedaling around with cement in the tires.

When a michelen comp 16 can be run down Mte. Ste Anne with an xc tube and less that 35psi consistently without flatting let me know. Or better yet, when i can destroy my rims and put flat spots in them so big the tube is visible and still not get a flat then i might think about using Michelins again. I'm not converting to tubless so it's maxxis all the way for me unless Michelin fixes the pinch-flat issue.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Bizzarre. When up at Ft Bill I was running tubes for a season and never punctured once using Comp 16s at 28 PSI on the rear. My buddy was running a high roller and flatted every run. Same rims. similar pressure.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Have you tried all of these:?

oh.. and I'd agree with Michys puncturing way easier than Maxxis. I used to have to run extra thick MX tubes with Comp16s and a lot of mates used to have to double bag their DH tubes. (Have got away with 60p XC tubes on Maxxis)

robz

Chimp
May 18, 2004
Scotland
The Michelins are far superior UST tubeless tyres though. I ran them for two seasons in the Alps on Mavic 823s and never punctured or rolled them off the rim, even at low pressure.

Last year I ran Maxxis UST tyres and found them very easy to roll off the rim, very easy.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i ran michelins all year both with tubes and tubeless. i got 2 flats and that was with tubeless. but thats also from running low PSI and jumping thru rock gardens.

id be all for running michelins here on out.

seems like some people have problems and some people dont. so no reason to fight over which company is better unless they are paying you to "win" an internet fight. you freakin :monkeydance:'s