Quantcast

Magura Gustav M brakes

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
I bought a used pair of Magura Gustav M brakes for my commencal and since I have been very busy with work and my family I haven't had the chance to install them so I decided to bring them to my local bike shop to have them installed. I have 2008 Boxxer World Cup Forks w/ team lowers on my 2009 commencal and they told me that there is no adapter for those brakes that can fit my front fork and that the rear will fit but will rub the frame when turning or flexing. Just wanted to know if the shop is correct on what they told me? I don't want to have to buy other brakes after I bought these brakes as I need huge stopping power and I read that these brakes have alot of power. :(

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
The gustav adaptors are hard to get a hold of and expensive. I think retail is about $110 and up depending on model needed.

On some bikes the 210 rotors will rub chainstays, esp under turning force.

Yukonrider

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Marquette MI
Call Magura, talk to them, know what size post mount your fork has, it should be adapter number 13 that's what I have sitting here on my 2010 boxxer, and I'm relatively sure they brake mounts are the same.

it was like 70 bucks or something stupid.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They are full of crap and I think I still have the adapter you're looking for. PM me and let me know exactly what for you have and I'll take a look.

ezl_oo

Chimp
Jun 11, 2009
West New York, NJ
Ok thanks for the help fellas, I had a feeling they were full of crap. I will find out tomm exactly which adapter I need as I will call Magura. Sandwich i will let you know if I need that adapter. I have the 210 rotors for front and rear that it came with.

Last edited:

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Which bike shop did you take them to? John at cycleworks in Byram, NJ used to work for Magura and is super knowledgeable about their stuff. Take your bike to them and they'll be able to at the very least tell you which caliper holder you need.

I have Gustavs, and they're great brakes, they've been very reliable, but if and when something DOES break, be prepared to pay out of the nose because replacement bits are hard to find and expensive.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Ok thanks for the help fellas, I had a feeling they were full of crap. I will find out tomm exactly which adapter I need as I will call Magura. Sandwich i will let you know if I need that adapter. I have the 210 rotors for front and rear that it came with.
Dayum...210 rear? Wow. Thought they were only 203 or 185 rears...hot snot, I need to get back in the game...

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
actually it is not that great. Its Magura's attempt to to make you buy their discs/adapters only and not use cheaper discs/adapters from other disc makers

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Dayum...210 rear? Wow. Thought they were only 203 or 185 rears...hot snot, I need to get back in the game...
actually it is not that great. Its Magura's attempt to to make you buy their discs/adapters only and not use cheaper discs/adapters from other disc makers
mine were 210/185, and yeah, the wonkiness of magura's components come to bite you in the rear...everything is proprietary.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
I've got a brand new, in the package, Type 19 Magura adapter if you end up needing that. I'll sell for cheap or trade for beers.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
How often are you guys having to bleed yours? I've got a set from 2007 on my Yeti, and it feels like every season I need to bleed them out again.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
How often are you guys having to bleed yours? I've got a set from 2007 on my Yeti, and it feels like every season I need to bleed them out again.
I thought that was common and recommended for almost all brakes, regardless of manufacturer? However, I am guilty of not following this if it is the case :D

I assume it just depends on the conditions and amount of use/abuse.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was under the impression that due to magura's claimed "magical" properties of mineral oil you theoretically never had to bleed them? ie because it doesn't absorb air, while dot does.

In other words, it's a load of crap. Brakes aren't perfect, even if the oil is better. I have to bleed my saints and they use mineral oil as well.

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Bled mine for the first time in 4 years last year. Looking forward to another 3 years of bleedless bliss.