Quantcast

Long Term Morewood Makulu Review

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006

I kept putting off writing this review because I kept looking for something that I didn’t love about this bike. But I just really didn’t ever seem to find it. Other than the bike under-performing and feeling rather “ho-hum” with a Fox RC4 (and fortunately, the frames can be purchased with just about any shock on them), I honestly have nothing bad to say, other than the random, cosmetic nit-picking that Morewood already addressed for 2011.

The Morewood Makulu proves that you don’t need a complicated swing link bike to deliver an exceptionally plush, responsive, reactive, and efficient ride. I would strongly recommend this frame to any and all downhill riders who appreciate the simplicity and durability that single pivot bikes offer.

FULL REVIEW HERE:
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/review-2010-morewood-makulu

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I've had my Makulu since May of 2010 and absolutely love the feel of the bike. I've got a CCDB with the "Makulu" tune and I've never felt a bike that is just so smooth.

Unlike you, however, I do have a huge gripe about the bike - it's made by Morewood. I'm not sure if you've heard the drama but let's just say Morewood SA can lick a nut and I can't wait to get my frame powdercoated and stripped of Morewood stickers.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
^^wow^^

not sure 100% what means exactly, other than i know that patrick left.

no interactions with morewood other than that, and that lance was really helpful getting me a replacement hanger, and seemed like a really nice guy.

feel free to expand here, or in the review comments should you feel there is something any potential consumer should be aware of.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
interesting. any idea where the frames broke? covered under warranty? turn around time to get repplacement bits?

i am 200lbs, pretty good at casing large step-downs, perhaps 100 total days on mine. no issue at all, other than a broken linkage bolt last week, that was $1.50 at fastenall to replace.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
well so far there is no change with Morewood as far as being an owner/ potential customer is concerned. When I heard the news about Patrick leaving I too was a little disappointed and worried about the future of my favourite bike brand. So far its no different but I feel the future is still bright for Morewood despite the departure of Patrick.

As for a long term review of the Makulu its the best bike around period. It made me quicker instantly after a lay off the bike from injury for a few months. Ive got a full Bos suspension setup and also have run it with an RC4 and boxxer team. Id agree that the RC4 kinda lets the bike down its ok but its not a patch on how the good bike is with the Bos suspension. The geometry, frame stiffness and general fit of the bike for me means its still a killer bike with the fox/rockshock setup, however its so much more composed at speed and has way more grip with the bos. I cant see a reason why you still wouldnt buy one.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
I'm on my 3rd year of the makulu with an elka rear shock. I love the bike, does everything rather well. My only gripe is that it tends to really hang up on square edge hits compared to other bikes with a more vertical wheel path. You just have to choose your lines a little bit more carefully.

Being so long and slack, it has a tough time through tight-twisty trees, but really shines in the rough wide open, and truly is a confidence inspiring machine.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Both of the doods I know who rode that bike, broke it within 6 months.
Really Thad?

Mine is still holding strong after a tough year, and I've been getting after it this season. I've just been riding that Sunday this past month because I'm poor. And for reference, I just snapped that Sunday in half at 30+ mph.

Orlando broke his because he is a big kid that rides a ton, and never pulls the whips back that he pulls on every jump, and maybe he
got a bad frame?

Nonetheless, there are still several guys you know that haven't broken theirs, so your comment is wrong.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Really Thad?

Mine is still holding strong after a tough year, and I've been getting after it this season. I've just been riding that Sunday this past month because I'm poor. And for reference, I just snapped that Sunday in half at 30+ mph.

Orlando broke his because he is a big kid that rides a ton, and never pulls the whips back that he pulls on every jump, and maybe he
got a bad frame?

Nonetheless, there are still several guys you know that haven't broken theirs, so your comment is wrong.

Indeed, "breaking their bikes within 6 month" probbaly means they broke a mech hangar or the like.
Gotta love bold internet claims like the one thad makes

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Really Thad?

got a bad frame?

Huh. Why were you riding that old Sunday, if you have a functional Makulu? I assumed you had broken the Morewood. Orlando did break his swingarm within 6 months. I don't know anyone else that rides those diamond slave labor bikes. So I prefer to think of my comment as half right. :P

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Huh. Why were you riding that old Sunday, if you have a functional Makulu? I assumed you had broken the Morewood. Orlando did break his swingarm within 6 months. I don't know anyone else that rides those diamond slave labor bikes. So I prefer to think of my comment as half right. :P
So I could sell my 2010 large and get a 2012 medium! The bike is just a little too long for the good trails up top.

And to repeat, Orlando doesn't work much, rides a ton, whips like kovarik and probably weighs 200. I'm heavier, but I work 70 hrs weeks and keep things more low and straight.

Definitely not a hack, he's a way better rider than me!

Why didn't you include Mac, Rd, and others that you know?

Last edited:

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
thats a good reason for it to break :rolleyes:
Coming from someone who has broken my fair share (more than ten) of top shelf frames, I have to say I believe that while the Makulu isn't indestructible, it's certainly stronger than most frames, and I am honestly very confident in the brand. My 951 broke after 5 months! Everything breaks, some sooner than others. Last month I ranted on here about how sunday frames were indestructible, but then last week the sunday I was riding snapped in half (TT/DT) at 30 mph. Sh¡t happens! **** happens faster for some people than others, too, and I guarantee the frame our friend is riding now will eventually break, too.

All that said, didn't you buy an Evil? How many of your welds have cute little smiles?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Coming from someone who has broken my fair share (more than ten) of top shelf frames,

All that said, didn't you buy an Evil? How many of your welds have cute little smiles?
breaking 10 frames is nothing to be proud of.

the evils broke because someone didnt know how to design and build them, not because i was going sick Kovarik whips. and only one had broken welds.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Unlike you, however, I do have a huge gripe about the bike - it's made by Morewood. I'm not sure if you've heard the drama but let's just say Morewood SA can lick a nut and I can't wait to get my frame powdercoated and stripped of Morewood stickers.
tru dat. Its the main reason I'm selling mine plus I wanted something a little more peppy and not so slack.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I think Matt rides pretty gracefully.

I forgot about Mac. Never met RD.
He's a damn good rider and certainly better than me. Didn't mean for it to sound like I meant he was a hack. He's just a rider that punishes. Just like Jason and so many others.

Back on topic, I think the Makulu is a great choice for someone that values durability.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
feel free to expand here, or in the review comments should you feel there is something any potential consumer should be aware of.
No real need to expand, I'll just say that I've bought 4 brand new Morewoods over the last few years and was a huge customer advocate of theirs. Now I'll do anything I can to steer business away from them - they've pissed off a lot of people.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
south africa does have diamonds mines...in Africa
Blood diamonds however come from "conflict" countries - Congo, Angola, Sierra Leone, which are in africa indeed, but it's a rather long distance away ;)

South african diamonds are from Kimberley predominantly, which happens to be the area where the anti-blood diamond UN meetings started and the start of the "Kimberley process"

Saying that blood diamonds are from South Africa, could not be more incorrect

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
BACK op topic, without Moronic comments.

The Makulu is an amazing bike... so much so that I decided to start a "rider owned" Morewood dealership, since I love the bike so much.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
not sure what issues you've been having stateside but as a Morewood dealer in Europe there's been very few issues, very prompt supply, great back up and a top class product. Ive a Shova and a Makulu and I have no problem recommending anything that the brand produces as so far I've never had an unhappy Morewood owner. Some have them have changed bike brands and they are all planning on going back to a Morewood after being unhappy with there current bikes.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i personally think a few people are bad mouthing the brand because while the original US distributor was a great guy, he did not have an exclusive with morewood SA, and was not active in opening new dealers, so morewood brought another sales rep into the fold. obviously feelings were hurt and a few folks have axes to grind.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i personally think a few people are bad mouthing the brand because while the original US distributor was a great guy, he did not have an exclusive with morewood SA, and was not active in opening new dealers, so morewood brought another sales rep into the fold. obviously feelings were hurt and a few folks have axes to grind.
thats called being bitter

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
sounds about right from what ive read on heard. By the looks of it the original Morewood distributor was more into the direct sales model than getting the bikes into dealers. Which while it gives great customer service is not great for a brand thats trying to grow. Especially in country as big as the USA. It is the equivalent of only having one outlet for the whole of Europe. So i can see why Morewood got someone else involved.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
had mine for 2 years now, amazing bike, never had an issue and would have been riding it close to every weekend without fail since purchased...

Dont think I have heard of any issues with numerous makulu's in australia, come to think of it, with Morewoods full stop

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
not sure what issues you've been having stateside but as a Morewood dealer in Europe there's been very few issues, very prompt supply, great back up and a top class product. Ive a Shova and a Makulu and I have no problem recommending anything that the brand produces as so far I've never had an unhappy Morewood owner. Some have them have changed bike brands and they are all planning on going back to a Morewood after being unhappy with there current bikes.
Indeed, the Germans are great to deal with, friendly and efficient.
My shop Demo will be ready to rock with the 2012 BOS stuff next week! :)

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
got some 2012 idyle rares for mine, there awesome you'll be a happy man. The makulu with full Bos is cheating