Quantcast

logitech squeezebox boom

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
has anyone any experience with multiroom audiostreaming?

i'm thinking about getting two of these to stream music at home.

i'm also open for other solutions, i just want something that's simple to set up and use. decent sound is always a bonus, but i'm no hi-fi freak by no means, and cost is always a factor, too....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've had a Squeezebox 2 for a while now, and i like it. sometimes the web-based control flakes out, but i think that's more to do w/ my feeble network troubleshooting capabilities more than anything else.

the slim devices line is a lot cheaper than comparable Sonos products...not sure what else is out there.

i was thinking of getting a Squeezebox boom for my outdoor patio for summer time...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Not familiar with this product in particular, but last time I set something up like that I had a five room setup. It was pretty simple, no surround in any but the main room, and I was using a PC for the source to stream from the net.

I was just using a multi input, multi output receiver I nabbed at a garage sale, ran the wires for the speakers, I could chose any combination of rooms to play audio from, or I could choose all...... worked awesome, Wasnt the greatest, but suited my needs very well. Main unit was setup in the living room.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not familiar with this product in particular, but last time I set something up like that I had a five room setup. It was pretty simple, no surround in any but the main room, and I was using a PC for the source to stream from the net.

I was just using a multi input, multi output receiver I nabbed at a garage sale, ran the wires for the speakers, I could chose any combination of rooms to play audio from, or I could choose all...... worked awesome, Wasnt the greatest, but suited my needs very well. Main unit was setup in the living room.
running speaker wire from room to room is not what id call easy.

so this thing is basically a streaming audio boombox huh? it kinda pricey for what it is but its the easiest solution to get streaming audio in a room.
ideally the Sonos systems are one of the best, but youll also pay for having the best

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I'm a little confused. Are you just trying to have a music source play in multiple rooms?

If so, call me an apple fanboy, but I love my airport expresses. They are cheap and I can use the speakers of my choice (optical audio). Additionally, iTunes allows you to set the streaming for all or any of the individual ports. Aaannd, they boost the robustness of my wi-fi because each one is a network extender as well.

*edit... just looked into the Sonos stuff... thats pretty slick.

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Are you just trying to have a music source play in multiple rooms?
actually, multi source, multi room. i'd like to stream webaudio (classic radio streaming from the www and stuff like last fm, slacker etc) and musicfiles from my pc (most preferebly from my itunes directly, as i have 80% of my music organized there) everywhere in my house.

actually you're prettty close to what i want and what i initially thought about. but as mentioned i'd have to install speaker cables over two stories and i want to avoid that hassle. that's why i thought about a wi-fi solution.

so this thing is basically a streaming audio boombox huh? it kinda pricey for what it is but its the easiest solution to get streaming audio in a room.
ideally the Sonos systems are one of the best, but youll also pay for having the best
sonos.... :drool: worthy, but my budget won't allow me to go that way....