Quantcast

lightest DS ht??

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
There is a new company making frames called Black Market. The company consists of Carter Holland (sp?) and Chris Moller from S&M. The frame they are making is pretty bad ass. They said it should be around 4.5lbs. Not bad for a steel frame. I took the proto out for a couple laps around Sheep Hills and was very impressed.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
The Azonic DS1 weighs 4.8, the Evo2 weighs 5.3, Balfa's Minute Man weighs 7 even, the Brooklyn Park Bike weighs 6.7, Cortina Triton DS is 5.5 as is the DMR sidekick. We're expecting the Yeti DJ to be about 6 or 7.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by Metal
There is a new company making frames called Black Market. The company consists of Carter Holland (sp?) and Chris Moller from S&M. The frame they are making is pretty bad ass. They said it should be around 4.5lbs. Not bad for a steel frame. I took the proto out for a couple laps around Sheep Hills and was very impressed.
Got any more info?

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
i wouldn't reccomend a ds-1 i broke mine right behind the downtube gusset-the tube pulled apart almost all the way and the top tube crinkled pretty good, i rolled away with about a 62 degree head angle:rolleyes:

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Sideways
Got any more info?
Next time I go to Sheep Hills, I will talk to Carter and try to get more info. If I wasn't riding for anyone this year, that would frame would be my choice for a race/jump frame.

R

Rabie

Didn't Chumba Wumba make a crazy light hardtail? I might be imagining it.

R

Rabie

Originally posted by Metal
So how many more weeks till you will be able to ride and I will have to give your BMXtb back to you.
I see the doctor tomorrow, so I'll find out. Weather permitting, I'm hoping I'll be able to ride this weekend. I mean it's not like I'll be working.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
well when it comes to HT's I would be more concerned about the parts if you're trying to go light....you will not be able to feel as much difference in a 4 lb frame vs. a 5lb frame but with light wheels, fork and such you will really feel a weight difference....just some food for thought...D

gus

Chimp
Mar 17, 2002
i'm talking about DS specific frame(in early 90s) short 16" c/s long t/t 23.6", short seat tube 12" ,and ability for 24x24,24x26 or 26x26 all designed in one frame ,All the specific's that top end frames have evolved into today we were doing in early 90s Actually I welded up my 1st in 1984 .
Gots lots of ducumentation and riders who raced this stuff early on.
No we are not a "hi zoot Co". so not many hanger outers at our tent to pay atention..
Gots lots of pic's and one can notice the 1" HT on these frames...at least we were there in the begining also.. thk/u,for posting ,

gus

Chimp
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Acadian
Is a long TT necessarily better for DS?
It's the "Gate" where races are won = short TT's over the bars you go , longer TTgives you shorter c/s without makiing the WB longer(you want shorter WB designs for this event) ,and more room for your CG to move around , and more wt. on rear wheels ,hence explosive gate starts are more effective..
Ck. the BMX geometries over the past years,and all the lastest designs encourage shorter C/S ..= longer TTs..
great question ,long winded answer in a nut shell.