Quantcast

Lehikoinen leaving Honda?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I can assure you he is not goping to orange,although orange will have a team next year. Early rumours around the paddock (even before the story "officially" broke) is that matti was off to MS intense to fill the whole left by kovarik being let go.

I tried to get an official statement, but everyone is hush hush until the new company announces it top the public. He signed Sunday afternoon in Maribor.

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
I can assure you he is not goping to orange,although orange will have a team next year. Early rumours around the paddock (even before the story "officially" broke) is that matti was off to MS intense to fill the whole left by kovarik being let go.

I tried to get an official statement, but everyone is hush hush until the new company announces it top the public. He signed Sunday afternoon in Maribor.
Was I asleep when they let Kovarik go? When did this happen? Any news as to where he will end up?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It isn't official yet either. But it's been kicking around the paddock for a few weeks now. They may yet keep him I suppose, but the Lehikoinen rumour fits nicely with this one.

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
WOW what is the world coming to when Kovarik does not ride an Intense, wonder is Steber would pick him up again directly? Only seen him ride an Intense or god forbid the old GT Lobo.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Maybe if someone would manufacture a wheelset and pair of tires that would finish under Kovarik, he might have a better season???

Or does he try to get away with lightweight wheels or something?

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Kovarik has more front flats in a season than most people have craps. His results this year sure look like they may make him a freebird. I love his writeup in dirt. From a sponsors point of view it was probably not a good thing. From a riders point of view, it was pretty damn funny.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
When you watch film of Kavorik you can see why he has tire and wheel mechanicals at races. They guy is super fast, but he seems determined to move the course out of his way by smashing his bike into it. Ever since he broke onto the DH scene he has had trouble with tires and wheels. Maybe its time for him to adapt his style to the durability of the equipment.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
A couple of years ago Kovarik flatted at a Norba national....someone from Intense (prob Streber, dont remember) said in the press release it was his first flat in 3 years.

He's been flatting every other race since then....

Does anyone even buy thoose Intense tires...?....

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
From what I understand, Intense Tire Systems wanted him to run the two plys, since they are the new product. This turned out to be stupid for both of them, as Kovarik's season was practically ruined and no one trusts intense 2 plys now. The Intense 4 ply is the perfect tire for Kovarik, they should have just written 2 ply on a 4 ply tire and called it good.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
From what I understand, Intense Tire Systems wanted him to run the two plys, since they are the new product. This turned out to be stupid for both of them, as Kovarik's season was practically ruined and no one trusts intense 2 plys now. The Intense 4 ply is the perfect tire for Kovarik, they should have just written 2 ply on a 4 ply tire and called it good.
Ding ding ding!
I was gonna ask him why he was running 2-ply tires but I was afraid he would bite my head off and barbeque it.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
From what i heard, no one forced them onto the 2 plys it was a team choice, much lighter and faster rolling tires than the old FRO style, if you don't go flat. The 2 plys are on par with everyone elses, CK just needs to fun the FRO casing with the way he rides.

BEst thing for him would be a DC FRO, which is rumored to be coming around.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ever stood next to the guy? He's got to be the pound for pound biggest guy on the scene. I'm Fan #1 in the Kovarik fan club (had to say that before Jeremy R spots this and tosses a zinger at me).

But seriously, anyone know what he weighs compared to everyone else? Rennie was telling me that they did wattage tests for their whole Aussie squad in the lab, and Kovarik had one of the smaller outputs. He said gravity itself was Kovarik's biggest weapon. :think:

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
ever stood next to the guy? He's got to be the pound for pound biggest guy on the scene. I'm Fan #1 in the Kovarik fan club (had to say that before Jeremy R spots this and tosses a zinger at me).

But seriously, anyone know what he weighs compared to everyone else? Rennie was telling me that they did wattage tests for their whole Aussie squad in the lab, and Kovarik had one of the smaller outputs. He said gravity itself was Kovarik's biggest weapon. :think:
Rennie is definitely bigger than Kovarik, not to say Kovarik is small... I'm pretty sure he could knock a tree over by kicking it with his gigantic legs.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Go stand next to Jeff Lenosky. Now thats a big guy. Wrestler too. Rumor is Giants hydroform program is nothing but Jeff pulling the tubes into the shapes hes asked to. By hand.

Kovarick is not tall, but hes got beef. He looks like a belgian Blue bull. (look that one up.)

Rennie is tall and thick, but doesn't look like a crazed caveman like Koarick. he does, however, grow some wildly admirable facial hair.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This topic stars to look like Mr. of Dh World Cup competition.
Well let's wait for the swimsuits ;)

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
They guy is super fast, but he seems determined to move the course out of his way by smashing his bike into it.
Good thing he's on the King of Plow Bikes.

Maybe this is a chicken and egg thing...

Which came first, the plow bike or the plow rider? In this case, I think it's the rider.

It would be interesting to see him on a non-plow bike next year....

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Maybe if Kovarik was not a belligerent fighting drunk at every race and not banned from entering Canada (which looks like they will host 2 WC events next year) because he assaulted some police officers he would still have a ride with a high profile team....?

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
WOW what is the world coming to when Kovarik does not ride an Intense, wonder is Steber would pick him up again directly? Only seen him ride an Intense or god forbid the old GT Lobo.
IMO, team intense.... & the company for that matter took a biiiiig hit when they dropped the CK...hell, the team & handed it over to MS Racing... i'm not knocking MS Racing.... i'm sure it's HOT in europe....especially w/ that team bus that they have (I think it's mainly for their snow team..but whatever)... the owner threw some money into it. but it's total sh*t for global coverage. I remember when CK & Sabo were the team... & EVERYONE wanted an Intense..... I don't get that vibe anymore.... & i see less & less Intense's in the amateur ranks.

If Matti does head up the MS Racing team, i doubt if it'll help to sell Intense frames, but it'd be sweet to see him riding a M6...12...35... whatever number they're on now

...damn, i just helped derail this thread from Matti to CK... sorry!:imstupid:

GT Lobo!?!? haha.... bring back Qranc gear & helmets! ;)

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Go stand next to Jeff Lenosky. Now thats a big guy. Wrestler too. Rumor is Giants hydroform program is nothing but Jeff pulling the tubes into the shapes hes asked to. By hand.
QUOTE]

this is all true. They only started with some automatioin so Jeff could have time to be with his family on nights and weekends.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Please tell me you are kidding.
You need to understand something, if you are getting paid to ride, you'll ride with what ever company is willing to dish out the most amount of money. So if KHS said to you we know Iron Horse has offered you $75K to race for them this season, but we'd like to offer you $100K, who you going to go with. Most likely the one that's willing to give the best perks. Might not be there first choice in bikes, but after all money is usually the best deciding factors in business.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
You need to understand something, if you are getting paid to ride, you'll ride with what ever company is willing to dish out the most amount of money. So if KHS said to you we know Iron Horse has offered you $75K to race for them this season, but we'd like to offer you $100K, who you going to go with. Most likely the one that's willing to give the best perks. Might not be there first choice in bikes, but after all money is usually the best deciding factors in business.
I've been in the bike business for over 20 years - I kinda know how things work. I stand by my statement :disgust:

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Going back to why CK flats so much..... The dude runs 14psi in the front! That doesn't work w/ 2-plies when you're a plow rider.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
ummmmm, no. :)

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
ummmmm, no. :)
I'm in agreement. Personally, if I was ever so lucky/skilled/fit/brave enough to be a professional athlete, I'd happily take a pay cut to represent sponsors that perform better / have more brand appeal / provide a better chance of publicity.

Maybe the likes of Peaty and Rennie should stop taking Kenda $$$ and start paying for Maxxis rubber if they want to ride them so much....assuming they get paid by Kenda of course.

Its called integrity. There is some of it left in the world.

Back to Matti, I wouldn't write off Iron Horse as a potential sponsor, there is no reason why a big team cant have two big names on their roster. Back it in 90's it was Voulliouz and King on GT, today its Peat and Rennie on SCS. Also Iron Horse must have increased revenue a ka-zillion fold with the publicity Sam and Sabs have brought with them. Not to mention the e-hype on the Sunday frameset (yes I have one).

Does anyone know if he is staying with 23degrees?