Quantcast

Lehikoinen leaving Honda?

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
23degrees report says:
23 year old Matti Lehikoinen (FIN), in his final race for the team before leading another team in 2008, put in a classy performance riding a controlled semi final and final to garner enough points to move from 3rd to 2nd overall.
Matti saying:
today is my last day with the team, and for me, this is where it all began, Maribor 2001 when I met Martin. So I'm so happy to have had my greatest career success so far, here where it all began for me. Now it's time to celebrate!"

where is he going?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Leaving at the top of his game? Where to and why?

Is there some sort of heirarchy within Honda?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd like to see him on lapierre. Strange as they have a very small team (on wc I only know of 1 nico start) and they are a big company (not in mtb but still they have the $$)

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I hope he signs for Trek,a company like Trek could use a guy like Matti.Great company but allmost no riders for DH except Nico vink.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
There must be big money in this move, I can't see any other team offering the same level of support and prestige, although I would imagine that there is a hierarchical method to the Honda team, as they are Japanese owned. Japanese culture has an enormous respect for seniority.

dondon

Monkey
matti leaving Honda is logical. Its hard even with Honda budget to have two #1 riders. It makes more sense for Matti to head up another team. Martin is still his manager and it would obviously be in both their intrests. Madcatz began with Sam, Rennie, Bryn, Graves and Codding....then later the Hurricane. as things evolve it makes more sense to put your resources into the one rider financially. The second rider will always be the "b" rider and in the shadow somewhat.
So Matti leaving sounds about right. Brendon stil has a few years to develop as a rider so will benifit well from the Honda program. One of the few other teams with two big riders is Syndicate, but both Peat and Rennie bring so much more to that program then simply racing and results

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
matti leaving Honda is logical. Its hard even with Honda budget to have two #1 riders. It makes more sense for Matti to head up another team. Martin is still his manager and it would obviously be in both their intrests. Madcatz began with Sam, Rennie, Bryn, Graves and Codding....then later the Hurricane. as things evolve it makes more sense to put your resources into the one rider financially. The second rider will always be the "b" rider and in the shadow somewhat.
So Matti leaving sounds about right. Brendon stil has a few years to develop as a rider so will benifit well from the Honda program. One of the few other teams with two big riders is Syndicate, but both Peat and Rennie bring so much more to that program then simply racing and results
Good points. Looks like Honda knew something last season bringing Brendog on.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
im totally intrigued as to where he´ll end up. anyways if he made the decision then its for his benefit no doubt. although just to be on honda i think i would take the pay cut...i dont think he was making lousy money with them anyways

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
that doesn't make sense....his results couldn't touch matti's.....he was overhyped
Brendan is still young at 19 yes there is a fair bit of hype around him but the kid is supper quick and watch over the next few seasons how much faster he will get...

Wish Matti the best of luck with his new team, its gonna be good.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
No please not for orange! We want some new team. Bored with orange riders(and I don't like the looks of that bike). Maybe there is some company with some nice new sth for 08? What are the completely new bikes for 08? Tomac? What else?

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
No please not for orange! We want some new team. Bored with orange riders(and I don't like the looks of that bike). Maybe there is some company with some nice new sth for 08? What are the completely new bikes for 08? Tomac? What else?
What about a new company like Corsair,they make amazing bikes with the 2:1 leverage ratio just like Foes.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
There is some $$ behind tomac how about corsair? A small company? Anyway it would be cool to see them win

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i just knew somthing looked odd about that picture when i first saw it:
matti on an orange in maribor (pic is from: www.photo.si/news_show.php?nw=07091600) .
does orange have the $$$ for him ?
(on a side note ,i wish specialized will sign him ,they have the money and the bike !!! )
all the honda guys have non-DH orange bikes to ride/warm up on. It's no big secret that Martin Whitely and 23-Degrees have had a good relationship with that company for the past 8 years or so.

i would doubt he's going to Orange, but anything is possible. Steve Peat left a pretty big void when he left . . .