Quantcast

Kidwoo's Everywhere in the US Test Driver Audition Thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Truck prices on the west coast are stupid so I'm looking at a few bro dozers where a lot of you folks are. Yes there's that much of a difference.

I need Maverick. Or Goose. Or fuck it, even Ms Daisy would do. Mostly just someone to drive a truck up to 70mph and see if it vibrates, tell me if it smells like cigarette smoke, and look for a rusted frame. These are work trucks I'm going to be changing a lot of stuff out on so I just need unbroken.

Prizes include:
booze
weed (pretty sure we can mail it from CA now)
More realistically I'll just give you some money or something.

First up, anyone live anywhere near:
Chatham, MA
St Albans, VT (canadian monkeys welcome)

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Chatham, MA means that frame rust was included standard from the dealer. Not an option, but standard... I am always horrified at the amount of rust on Cape Cod vehicles that are only a few years old.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Chatham, MA means that frame rust was included standard from the dealer. Not an option, but standard... I am always horrified at the amount of rust on Cape Cod vehicles that are only a few years old.

Hence the thread. These are fairly low mile trucks.

Jon: See when one lives thousands of feet above sea level, internal combustion motors aren't that strong. So hauling two snowmobiles, plus two people plus gear up 20% grades requires more than what my prius can handle.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am literally looking over the entire country. I'm not honing in on new england at all. That would be stupid since it's the farthest away from where I live that one can possibly get.

But I'm looking for a truck with a plow prep package. So new england trucks are what pops up.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I am literally looking over the entire country. I'm not honing on on new england at all. That would be stupid since it's the farthest away from where I live that one can possibly get.

But I'm looking for a truck with a plow prep package. So new england trucks are what pops up.
Ah... yeah. You ain't gonna find many of those in New Mexico.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
they don't use salt in CO ... what make/model are you shopping for?
2008 or newer chevy/gmc 2500 gas, 4wd, preferably 3.73 axle ratio, the extended cab/double cab thing, NOT a crew cab preferably.

Either bed size but preferably the 6.5'

They use that brine spray stuff out there right? It's the same as here. It's salt. It's just not the straight rock salt shit they use in the northeast.

The truck in northern VT was a canadian truck. I have no idea what they do with the roads in quebec. Probably cigarette ash.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2008 or newer chevy/gmc 2500 gas, 4wd, preferably 3.73 axle ratio, the extended cab/double cab thing, NOT a crew cab preferably.

They use that brine spray stuff out there right? It's the same as here. It's salt. It's just not the straight rock salt shit they use in the northeast.

The truck in northern VT was a canadian truck. I have no idea what they do with the roads in quebec. Probably cigarette ash.
Hire an auto broker. https://automatchconsulting.com/

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

Pretty sure the 6.0 gas only comes with a 4.10 ratio. Which you’ll be happy for in the hills.

A super duty with the 6.2 is worth a look. I’d get the 4.30 but they’re rare so most have 3.73. Engines been dead reliable, better mpg that my 6.0 Chevy got and the ford is holding up to the salt much better than the GM wax dipped frame. Plus the bed is larger.

Nearly all are HD trucks ordered with plow prep around here but a ford ‘severe duty front end’ package is the same thing. The GM ifs wore out in both my chevys (gas and diesel).

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Driving on the beach or too far down the boat ramp will do that. My friend backed one of my trucks into the ocean until the bed was submerged ‘so you you row the dinghy right in’. Sold that one the next day.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Pretty sure the 6.0 gas only comes with a 4.10 ratio. Which you’ll be happy for in the hills.

A super duty with the 6.2 is worth a look. I’d get the 4.30 but they’re rare so most have 3.73. Engines been dead reliable, better mpg that my 6.0 Chevy got and the ford is holding up to the salt much better than the GM wax dipped frame. Plus the bed is larger.

Nearly all are HD trucks ordered with plow prep around here but a ford ‘severe duty front end’ package is the same thing. The GM ifs wore out in both my chevys (gas and diesel).
For the price range I'm looking for that puts me in the death wobble years of the f250s. We had one at work and it's a very real thing. You can see all the front end work done on some of the carfaxes from that 2009-2012 range. I'm not fucking with it. If our work truck hadn't been under warranty we'd have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on that trying to fix it. Now the transmission isn't shifting correctly on a truck with 70k on it. Agree on the 6.2 motors though. Those things are beasts. It's everything else that's the problem.

Chevys do have a 3.73 gear box. It's a thing.

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
I am literally looking over the entire country. I'm not honing in on new england at all. That would be stupid since it's the farthest away from where I live that one can possibly get.

Yeah, in VT they spray a liquid salt onto the roads before the snow flys. Then they salt after the snow lands, then they salt after the plows go thru.,,,,, Just pass. There's a reason the prices are lower. Everything will rust from NE

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fun fact, even if they don't lay the salt down on the roads, the private businesses often do, contracting for removal services that spray a metric ton of salt (well, probably more) on all sorts of private parking lots. Chances are, wherever you pull in to park, is salt.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Chevys do have a 3.73 gear box. It's a thing.
Learn something every day.
My 6.0 had the 4.10 and given the engine characteristics they’d still be my choice especially if running anything larger than stock 245s.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The funny thing is the plow prep trucks only show up in the midwest a little bit, and then mostly in the northeast.

Not because it snows the most, but because it snows the least and a truck plow is actually functional. Very few people use those things out here because they don't do shit. You need real equipment out here.

But for my driveway and making some winter recreation parking it'll do.

I highly doubt the salt situation is any different anywhere it snows these days. Everyone's using the same shit it seems. It's just the freezing rain component in the NE makes it more serious and regular.

So no one lives near either of these places? I really didn't want to tap into the skier network but I guess I'll have to.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The funny thing is the plow prep trucks only show up in the midwest a little bit, and then mostly in the northeast.

Not because it snows the most, but because it snows the least and a truck plow is actually functional. Very few people use those things out here because they don't do shit. You need real equipment out here.

But for my driveway and making some winter recreation parking it'll do.

I highly doubt the salt situation is any different anywhere it snows these days. Everyone's using the same shit it seems. It's just the freezing rain component in the NE makes it more serious and regular.

So no one lives near either of these places? I really didn't want to tap into the skier network but I guess I'll have to.
Have you looked in the Mid Atlantic? In Virginia an F250 is a minimum requirement unless you are some lib-fag. Plenty of plow trucks as it doesn't snow enough for any real organization to invest in snow removal but when it does every redneck with a plow can double their annual income plowing lots and gated communities.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What's the story with Chevy plow packages, aren't they usually just a heavier front spring-rate and a wire-harness? Seems easy enough to add to any truck, and would open up the field to non New England trucks, potentially even rust free ones.

Currently looking for a place to live. Cannot accept that challenge.
He's got a van for sale, and you need a place to live, sounds like it was meant to be.