Quantcast

Just signed my life away....

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
No, I didn't enlist.

I sent in my confirmation for a PhD program I was accepted to. Good thing I don't like money, riding bikes, extra space in my brain or free time because I might not be seeing much of those for the next 5-7 years.

On the plus side, I am going to move in with my girlfriend (might get engaged this weekend or something...haven't figured that out yet). And by move in with her I mean live with her in her parents' house. Haha. Should be interesting.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
No, I didn't enlist.

I sent in my confirmation for a PhD program I was accepted to. Good thing I don't like money, riding bikes, extra space in my brain or free time because I might not be seeing much of those for the next 5-7 years.

On the plus side, I am going to move in with my girlfriend (might get engaged this weekend or something...haven't figured that out yet). And by move in with her I mean live with her in her parents' house. Haha. Should be interesting.

Making several huge decisions at once is almost never a good idea, but good luck. What's the PhD in?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
piled higher and deeper.

i am learning more and more about less and less. soon I will know absolutely everything about nothing at all.

In terms of book smarts, the smartest days of my life were during my comprehensive exams. Crazy the amount of sh!te we crammed into our brains! For the last year or so I would get up at 6 a.m. study until classes started, kiss ass for a couple of hours at the uni, study again until midnight, drink myself half blind, sleep and repeat. For the first three years I rode, drank, skiied and backpacked as much as I could.

Grad school as an RA FTW!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
now her parents get to hear you rail the sh!t out of her.

good luck on the phd.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I work with a PhD daily for some design stuff on machines. His utter lack of reality makes me chuckle.

"Why can't you have them machine two .031" wide slots a depth of 18" positioned .00001 +/- .000005" apart?"

*facepalm*

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I've been interviewing for engineers for the last couple of months. Any resume I've gotten that has the letters P, H, and D in close proximity to one another, straight to the recycle bin.......

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've been interviewing for engineers for the last couple of months. Any resume I've gotten that has the letters P, H, and D in close proximity to one another, straight to the recycle bin.......
Well, at least I am aware I'm not learning anything useful...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Got engaged tonight. That was pretty easy.

Then we called her parents. Her mom seemed pretty happy. Then her dad said over the phone to me "We are happy...but we are not sure that we accept you as our son in law" and then requested that I respond to several questions he had for me in writing. Awesome. Not awkward at all. :rolleyes:

I am told this is par for the course with Korean fathers.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001

Then we called her parents. Her mom seemed pretty happy. Then her dad said over the phone to me "We are happy...but we are not sure that we accept you as our son in law" and then requested that I respond to several questions he had for me in writing. Awesome. Not awkward at all. :rolleyes:

was one of them: "How do you intend to support my daughter while you are chasing a PhD of questionable marketable value?"

(Congrats. I kid because I love)

Congratulations.

Presuming we manage to get together in the future, remind me to discuss my relationship with Hilarie's parents.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
hope you jest... I'm finishing my PhD for materials engineering this fall. my entire class (4 guys, 1 chick) are all "normal" people (no nerds or socially awkwards). The reason why we all did it is because Universities will pay for you to do your PhD but not if you are just doing a Masters. We all got our Masters along the way as well. So which is the employee you would rather have, the one who figured out how to work the system to his advantage or the one that got screwed into paying for their graduate degree... Oh well, your loss.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
hope you jest... I'm finishing my PhD for materials engineering this fall. my entire class (4 guys, 1 chick) are all "normal" people (no nerds or socially awkwards). The reason why we all did it is because Universities will pay for you to do your PhD but not if you are just doing a Masters. We all got our Masters along the way as well. So which is the employee you would rather have, the one who figured out how to work the system to his advantage or the one that got screwed into paying for their graduate degree... Oh well, your loss.
I do not jest. Refer to this post
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3430912&postcount=12

PhD engineers (which in itself is a bit of an oxymoron),have their place obviously. But where I work, we need people with some practical sense and some scar tissue on their knuckles.

So I'm feeling no sense of loss.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I do not jest. Refer to this post
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3430912&postcount=12

PhD engineers (which in itself is a bit of an oxymoron),have their place obviously. But where I work, we need people with some practical sense and some scar tissue on their knuckles.

So I'm feeling no sense of loss.
:stupid:

If you're looking for engineers who work hands on with not only the design/development side of things, but also get dirty and turn wrenches with the guys down on the manufacturing floor........stay away from PhDs. Let them sit in their dimly lit offices in the far corner of the building, coming up with theories and crunching numbers.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
:stupid:

If you're looking for engineers who work hands on with not only the design/development side of things, but also get dirty and turn wrenches with the guys down on the manufacturing floor........stay away from PhDs. Let them sit in their dimly lit offices in the far corner of the building, coming up with theories and crunching numbers.
Oh yeah, totally forgot about my two years at Caterpillar running a test cell. I will go back where PhD's belong. Just keep in mind that most of us are in it for the $$, not the "theories".

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

WOW!!! Congratulations and good luck winning dad over!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville

Congrats! My Vietnamese in-laws didn't like me at much at first either. I wasn't Viet nor Catholic, but I must not have had a 3rd strike against me. Eventually won them over by showing them that I wanted to be a part of their family and that I love their daughter dearly.

They didn't give a written exam though....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Oh yeah, totally forgot about my two years at Caterpillar running a test cell. I will go back where PhD's belong. Just keep in mind that most of us are in it for the $$, not the "theories".
Again, where I work, a PhD would be *cough* "over-qualified". No way I'm paying a guy what he would want because of his fancy book learnin'. A Bachelor's is just fine.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Again, where I work, a PhD would be *cough* "over-qualified". No way I'm paying a guy what he would want because of his fancy book learnin'. A Bachelor's is just fine.
Agreed. Its all good. :thumb: I just hate it when I hear people make generalizations that shaft people who may (or may not) have been great at the job they wanted. Good luck with the employee hunt.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
1) You're stereotyping.
2) Try offering the bachelor's salary if you find a good one. Worst that can happen is they'll say no.

Nixing someone because they are "overqualified" should be illegal.
Note the "cough" when I said overqualified. They are in fact under qualified for what I need them to do. I would bet you dollars to donuts that not one of them would know how to operate an impact wrench...or even which end of a hammer is the business end. I don't care how many papers you've had published on the effects of magnetic north on Carbon atoms in a composite wing box. I need people who can think like a mechanic so that they can design stuff that can me be installed easily by a mechanic......and if it's easy to manufacture, even better.

And if I'm stereotyping well...so be it. Stereotypes come from SOMEWHERE.... But at least they weren't jews.....

edit: And if they DO happen to have practical experience, then they should MENTION IT IN THEIR RESUME! (which none of them did.......so....into recycle bin it goes)

Last edited: