Quantcast

It's crazy....I just....I like country music

J

JRB

JohnE said:
Keith Urban has no balls...
He did have a couple of decent tunes, and seems to be somewhat skilled. Brad Paisley does have a hot wife. She's on "according to jim" or something.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
GumbaFish said:
Oh and also popularized in songs like some of those from the movie O brother where art thou?
man there aint no damn bluegrass on that album. all those songs are prebluegrass and are traditional/oldtime recordings. I am a huge fan of old country and bluegrass being as how i play upright bass, guitar and banjo.

i am real into hank3 although his metal stuff sucks donkey balls.

narlus....Drive by Truckers are not country at all. southern rock posers.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
biggins said:
I am a huge fan of old country and bluegrass being as how i play upright bass, guitar and banjo.
I'd say it is still bluegrassy, but anywho my real forte is blues not bluegrass. How easy is it to switch to banjo from guitar anyways? I've been wanting to pick up a banjo for a while just to mess around with. I'm pretty good at finger picking and once I learn rolls can do them pretty darn fast. What bluegrass artists do you listen to?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
GumbaFish said:
I'd say it is still bluegrassy, but anywho my real forte is blues not bluegrass. How easy is it to switch to banjo from guitar anyways? I've been wanting to pick up a banjo for a while just to mess around with. I'm pretty good at finger picking and once I learn rolls can do them pretty darn fast. What bluegrass artists do you listen to?

actually there were several blue players that learned to pick on a banjo to begin with because they were easy to make.

as far as learning goes, it takes a while because you are basically soloing the entire time for the most part and throwing in piles of grace licks. Rolls are only about 1/8 of the battle.i play bluegrass/scruggs style (with the rolls and finger picking) as well as old time (stuff like on oh brother and cold mountain).

i listen to a lot of Seldom Scene, Old Crow Medicine Show, Flatt and Scruggs, Greasy Beans, Steep canyon Rangers, del Mcoury, Bill Monroe, Old and In The Way, Buncombe Turnpike and a ton of local bands. Living in western NC certainly has its up sides one of them being live bluegrass every day of the week for the most part.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Ever listen to Doc Watson, or Beppi Gambetti? Those are two other people you might want to check out, and Doc Watson is blind but he can play a mean guitar. Also ever heard of Steve Kaufmans' flatpicking camp? Its like a week long bluegrass camp where you go and basically take some lessons from pros and then jam and play and listen to concerts the rest of the time. My buddies dad goes to it every year and he loves it.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
biggins said:
Living in western NC certainly has its up sides one of them being live bluegrass every day of the week for the most part.
I think that the Avett Brothers are from that area.