Quantcast

It's crazy....I just....I like country music

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Maybe it has something to do with moving back to TN or the fact that all other new music lately has made me want to strangle myself with my own intestines, but it's crazy. After hating country music (except of course J. Cash and the other essentials) for my entire life... I find myself watching CMT and having country on the radio. I sing along too.
I mean, I still love Danzig and Maiden and Pink Floyd and Bad Religion and all my other favorites, but you can only play a CD so many times...you know? Im ashamed....but I just like it. Fack!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Maybe the lyrics "I will treat you like milk, I'll do nothing to spoil you." (*rhino opinion: WTF! lol *barf*) ...turned you off. :D

I cringe everytime I hear it.

As cool as it is to diss country music it isn't all moonshine and pick'n anymore. Oh, that part is still there and will always be but there are a good selection of new county out there.

It isn't like most music isn't annoying to someone. :)

Rhino "long time county music listener" from WA

J

JRB

Good on you BS. I listen to Hank's Place on XM a lot. Dwight Yoakam is also the most talented musician that ever comes to mind. :thumb:

3:2:1.... insert S.S. Texas insult now. :help:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Hey, you guys know what happens when you play a country song backwards?

Your girlfriend will love you again, your dog will come back to life, and your truck will no longer be broken.

:D

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
It's gotta be old country. Hank Sr., Cash, Haggard, Twitty, Jones....

Toby Keith and the whole damn lot of this "new country" schlop can go pound sand till Sunday for all I care.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
InsaneP2Rider said:
hahaha...i liked that one :thumb:

haha! wanna hear another good one?

Whadday call a guy with hardtail pride?

Too poor to afford an FS. Bwaaaaaaaaahahhhaha.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
loco-gringo said:
Dwight Yoakam is also the most talented musician that ever comes to mind.
:thumb:

the only country artists i can really listen to are Dwight, older Garth Brooks, and George Strait. my dad actually did work for George, and i got to go to his ranch in Laredo a long time ago...right before Pure Country came out. got to meet George, too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Check out Whiskey&Co.

Songs about cocaine, pills, and alcohol are quite fun when sung by a woman.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Greyhound said:
It's gotta be old country. Hank Sr., Cash, Haggard, Twitty, Jones....

Toby Keith and the whole damn lot of this "new country" schlop can go pound sand till Sunday for all I care.

werd Greyhound!! all this new canned up nashville schit coming out now days sucks donkey balls. you want some real stuff that's new, check out Jason Boland & The Stragglers, Cross Canadian Ragweed and SpeedTrucker :thumb: :thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have caught a little bit of the local country station lately. I've learned:

Whiskey and beer are the only two beverages in the world.
You must love your dad and the USA.
Chicks dig slow songs about cowboys.
Every country person actually does own a horse.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
BurlySurly said:
Maybe it has something to do with moving back to TN or the fact that all other new music lately has made me want to strangle myself with my own intestines, but it's crazy. After hating country music (except of course J. Cash and the other essentials) for my entire life... I find myself watching CMT and having country on the radio. I sing along too.
I mean, I still love Danzig and Maiden and Pink Floyd and Bad Religion and all my other favorites, but you can only play a CD so many times...you know? Im ashamed....but I just like it. Fack!
Radio country :confused:... dude I live in Oklahoma and I can honestly tell you, most country is crap. Look into the old chit like Bib Wills, that was the only original crap. All the radio junk is well... whiney people with cowboy hats. Take the dude from Stained, put on a pair of vasectomy jeans, a cowboy, hat, boots, a bad shirt and add a country accent and there you have it... a perfect country singer ready for the radio.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Cooter Brown said:
werd Greyhound!! all this new canned up nashville schit coming out now days sucks donkey balls. you want some real stuff that's new, check out Jason Boland & The Stragglers, Cross Canadian Ragweed and SpeedTrucker :thumb: :thumb:
Yah, I thought the country thread might bring you out CB. I finally caught Ragweed in H-town a couple months ago and they, of course, rocked. I picked up Soul Gravy and it permeates my brain. Also picked up some Radney Foster (Big Show) that's pretty good. Hoping to catch Boland sometime soon.

B.Surly: yer gettin' old. I hated ALL country until age 23, when I learned to tolerate bluegrass, and was also turned on to Cash. Now I seek out good country music anywhere it's hiding. Get a wife and kids and suddenly a lot of the sap will make perfect sense, while the rockin' stuff will help you remember your wilder times.

I'll listen to a little of the stuff outta Nashville, but I'm finding plenty to listen to among the Texas bands. As you hear more, you'll find there's quite a range of music, good and bad, that sounds "country," and a lot of it rocks.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Country Music is actually Satans way of communicating to the 'murican masses. In it he says "go fight a war in the desert" and "buy some Meth you'll like it". Listen carefully and you will hear it......jdcamb

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Fathead said:
Yah, I thought the country thread might bring you out CB. I finally caught Ragweed in H-town a couple months ago and they, of course, rocked. I picked up Soul Gravy and it permeates my brain. Also picked up some Radney Foster (Big Show) that's pretty good. Hoping to catch Boland sometime soon.

yeah, you know it, I gotta spread the word about the good music that's out there, especially from the bands from okesville and tejas. We'll be going to the CCRW concert next month at the state fair of oklahoma, can't wait, always a good rockin time at their concerts.

You need to pick up "Purple" if you like "Soul Gravy", that's another good rockin CCRW CD, in fact, that's what's playing on my 'puter right now :thumb:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dude, that stuff's not country music...

Go buy the Steve Earle album "Train a' comin." Guarantee you'll like it. Lots of unique and old-style stuff, cool subjects like mercenaries south of the border, the civil war, women, yadda yadda...and an amazing cover of "Rivers of Babylon" with Emmylou Harris backing (she does some other work on the album, too.)

This isn't Steve's latest political stuff, either, which is a nice break.

MD

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
MikeD said:
Dude, that stuff's not country music...

Go buy the Steve Earle album "Train a' comin." Guarantee you'll like it. Lots of unique and old-style stuff, cool subjects like mercenaries south of the border, the civil war, women, yadda yadda...and an amazing cover of "Rivers of Babylon" with Emmylou Harris backing (she does some other work on the album, too.)

This isn't Steve's latest political stuff, either, which is a nice break.

MD
Props to Steve Earle. I was just listening to some of that, and some Townes. Songs so sad they feel good.

If you like that stuff from Earle you might like some R.E. Keen (I like "Number 2 Live Diner" for variety). Good stuff like "Sonora's Death Row."

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
modern cuntree music isn't cuntree, it's pop.

they package, market and sell it as country, and people buy it but it's not country.

everyone with half a brain knows the music on the radio is crap anyways.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I am going to lunch and listen to my Co-op (country pop) music :D

In fact I think this guy is in my CD player.......:think: :)

Chicks Dig It
Written by Chris Cagle and Charlie Crowe

HEY Y'ALL...WATCH THIS
DADDY'S BELT/ MOMMA'S DRAPES
STANDIN' TALL ON THE
BACKYARD SHED
LOOKIN' COOL IN MY SUPERMAN CAPE
I TOLD THE NEIGHBORHOOD GIRL
SAID HEY Y'ALL WATCH THIS
MY FATE WAS A BROKEN ARM
MY REWARD ONE BIG KISS
WHEN DADDY ASKED ME WHY I DID IT
I MADE HIM LAUGH OUT LOUD WHEN I TOLD HIM
'CAUSE THE CHICKS DIG IT

(CHORUS) SCARS HEAL, GLORY FADES
AND ALL WE'RE LEFT WITH ARE THE MEMORIES MADE
PAIN HURTS, BUT ONLY FOR A MINUTE
YEAH LIFE IS SHORT SO GO ON AND LIVE IT
'CAUSE THE CHICKS DIG IT

BLACK TOP ROAD
LEARNER PERMIT
THOUGHT I WAS EARNHARDT
DRIVIN' FAST BUT I DIDN'T SEE THE DITCH
TOOK OUT A MAILBOX, THEN A FENCE AND THEN A BARN
THE POLICE CAME AND CALLED MY FATHER
BUT I MET THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER
AND WHEN THE JUDGE ASKED ME WHY I DID IT
HE THREW THE BOOK AT ME WHEN I TOLD HIM
"CAUSE THE CHICKS DIG IT"

(REPEAT CHORUS)

JUST THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND MY FRIEND
THEN SIT BACK AND WATCH YOUR LIFE BEGIN, 'CAUSE

(REPEAT CHORUS)

SCARS HEAL, GLORY FADES
AND ALL WE'RE LEFT WITH ARE THE MEMORIES MADE
PAIN HURTS, BUT ONLY FOR A MINUTE
YEAH LIFE IS SHORT SO GO ON AND LIVE IT
IT DON'T MATTER IF YOU LOSE OR IF YOU WIN IT
HEY THE CHICKS DIG IT
THE CHICKS DIG IT/THE CHICKS DIG IT/THE CHICKS DIG IT

Country By the Grace of God
Written by Chris Cagle, M. Jason Greene, Brian Wayne

Hot sun goin' down, heatin' up this little town
The cows are fed and the plowin's all been done
Moon light, fireflies, beer on the bank by the riverside
We're gonna have ourselves a little fun
Dancin' on the tailgates and raisin' a little cain
Rockin' in the pastures and rollin' in the hay

It's the life I love
And I'm gonna live it 'til they bury me
I can't get enough of dirt roads and dusty fields and the simple things
And I take pride in everything I've got
'Cause I'm American-born and country by the grace of God

I don't need no Cadillacs, you can't put no hay bails in the back
It won't cross a creek or tow no heavy load
I don't like a high-rise cluttering up my clear blue skies
Don't wanna be where the city's all that grows
Some are born with a silver spoon and some come from the farm
Some have a ball in the mansion, but we get down in the barn
It's the life I love

We build a world of dreams on a big ol' piece of land
We're free to so anything we like, we're country so we can
It's the life I love

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Actually, the best country song ever written is "A Lap Dance is so Much Better When the Stripper is Crying" by the Bloodhound Gang.

(and seriously, one of the best Johnny Cash songs ever written was made for the "Dead Man Walking" CD; it's called "In Your Mind," and it's mind-blowing. Good Steve Earle track there, too...gave me nightmares...and two, count 'em, TWO, unique Tom Waits tunes. One, called "The Fall of Troy" is among my Waits favorites...and as I recall, Burly, you're a Waits fan as well. There's some crap on the Dead Man Walking CD, too, but overall, it's outstanding.)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, I like Tom Waits. I'll look into that and the Cash CD as well. Id download it if I didnt hate Kazaa so much. I dont mind that Im stealing.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's all on the same album...just get the "(songs inspired by) Dead Man Walking" CD. If you get the actual movie soundtrack, you'll get a bunch of pakistani folk music. There's a little of it on the "songs inspired by" CD, too, with Eddie Vetter singing along. Right up your alley.

That music may have been the reason that I found myself heartily endorsing the death penalty...after seeing the whole movie, I was looking at Sean Penn thinking "FRY THE BASTARD! END THIS MOVIE!"

MD

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
MikeD said:
Perhaps in southeast TX...
Nah, not so much. There's plenty of that crap floating around Houston. You know, to a stoned undergrad, citars and strange scales can sound pretty cool. But hang out near enough International students and it gets old quick.

I really dug some of the Vietnames pop tho.

The Monk

Chimp
Aug 13, 2004
pnj said:
modern cuntree music isn't cuntree, it's pop.

they package, market and sell it as country, and people buy it but it's not country.

everyone with half a brain knows the music on the radio is crap anyways.
You mean "all hat, no cattle"

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Fathead said:
Nah, not so much. There's plenty of that crap floating around Houston. You know, to a stoned undergrad, citars and strange scales can sound pretty cool. But hang out near enough International students and it gets old quick.

I really dug some of the Vietnames pop tho.
No sitars...it's all pretty much vocal. The Eddie Vetter duets have some hippie-hempy music behind them, though. Singer's name is Fateh Nusrat Ali Khan or something, as I can best recall. He sounds pretty intense, and it kind of wears on you after a while.

MD

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
let me get this straight... you move from hawaii to TN... you reckon TN is better..........

now you like country music...

you get sadder by the second mate... get a clue :)

partsbara - #1 country music hater...