Quantcast

Ironhorse has gone out of business

04sgsdh

Monkey
Sep 8, 2007
Hagerstown
I dig the steak reference. I have nothing bad to say about IH. My SGS is still going strong. If I had some extra cash, I'd like to see how something new rides, but...damn track days.

BMac

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've explained it to some people akin to if you were to go to Costco to buy a steak. Sure, that steak costs 1/2 of what it would cost in a supermarket but, that's only when you buy 5X what you actually need for your own use. And, like said steak, the better the restaurant the steak is sold at, the higher the price. That's why at Peter Lugar's it'll run you $50 for the steak you buy at Costco for $5 or $10 at Stop N Shop or $20 at Outback or $30 at a better neighborhood restaurant.

-ska todd
I must admit, I don't quite understand the steak analogy. Are you saying that when you buy (or bought in this case) an Iron Horse, you would need to buy five? I do however, understand what you're saying about the fancier restaurant, in that the fancier it is, the more your steak will cost. If you apply this to a bike, you're getting the same bike, but from a fancier shop (and there's definitely something to be said for superior customer service from certain fancier shops). But, a fancy shop is by no means a guarantee of a good bike; the same way that a fancy restaurant is in no way a guarantee of a good steak.

I like your bikes ska todd, but I think your analogy was weak. Or maybe I just didn't get the main point...!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's not you who had to buy the 5 bikes/steaks it's the IH/Other bike company that had to bike 5 sets(actualy more but we can keep it at this to make it simple) of oem parts to make it cheaper. Buying large quantities of parts allows companies to get better prices for them therefore they can sell complete bikes at better prices. How is that hard to undestand? It works the same everywhere.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wow I didn't think it would have to get to this point of basic explanation...

When a business/retailer buys product from a manufacturer, the larger of a quantity they buy, the better (lower) price they will get per unit. The manufacturer is not making as large of a profit per unit, but they ARE making a larger profit overall because they are selling MORE units. This allows the manufacturer to move the units faster (ie sell them quicker) and not have inventory sitting around, because that ties up assets. The sooner they can get their profit from a sale, the sooner they can use it to make more units to make more profit. Additionally, the larger the quantity of a particular product they manufacture, the lower the price will be per unit.

edit: in this particular case with the stupid low prices, I think nepotism was the culprit, not large volume dealing.

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Ok, maybe I went overboard in my steak reference. Maybe b/c it was dinner time and I was hungry. Basically, sure OEM prices are lower than distributor, dealer, or msrp but the prices aren't as crazy low as what some might assume. Same can be said for a lot of products. I shared a plane flight with an Apple PM once and he was drilling me about the cost of bike stuff. He was shocked at how low the margins were compared to iPod stuff he worked on. Different industries have different economies.

-ska todd

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok, maybe I went overboard in my steak reference. Maybe b/c it was dinner time and I was hungry. Basically, sure OEM prices are lower than distributor, dealer, or msrp but the prices aren't as crazy low as what some might assume. Same can be said for a lot of products. I shared a plane flight with an Apple PM once and he was drilling me about the cost of bike stuff. He was shocked at how low the margins were compared to iPod stuff he worked on. Different industries have different economies.

-ska todd
I bet you didn't even get a free iPod, did you?

Now I want steak. Thanks Todd. :disgust::drool:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
No free iPod but he charged mine on his MBP b/c my batter died and I didn't have the plug.

Steak wrapped in bacon perhaps? :beerjam:

-ska todd

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Only if it was rancid when you got it and not yet past the expiration date. If you overcooked it or accidentally dropped it off the grill then that is crash damage I assume.

-ska todd

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
:disgust1:

:disgust1:

2" thick dry aged bone-in prime rib-eye with some salt and pepper is all you need guy. Maybe a fat slab of french butter melted on top to lube your insides.
add a bit of cayenne pepper to the rub, leave off the butter and grill on a very hot flame for ~5 min/side. if it's a true 2" cut, you might have to bump that up to 5.5min. serve with a side of german fried potatoes and a nice glass of scotch. or you could just marinate it in BBQ sauce after stabbing it repeatedly with a fork... :disgust1:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Blasphemy!! Yes, it might be all you need but as we all know on RM: Bacon is king! If you don't like it then go to pinkbike or something but please do not defame the use of bacon. Bacon is a universal. Like duct tape, zip ties, or a bigger hammer it can fix anything!

-ska todd

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It's not you who had to buy the 5 bikes/steaks it's the IH/Other bike company that had to bike 5 sets(actualy more but we can keep it at this to make it simple) of oem parts to make it cheaper. Buying large quantities of parts allows companies to get better prices for them therefore they can sell complete bikes at better prices. How is that hard to undestand? It works the same everywhere.
that's not hard to understand at all. And it makes me understand the steak analogy too!

and now I'm hungry. For a nice filet mignon I can cut with a fork...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
add a bit of cayenne pepper to the rub, leave off the butter and grill on a very hot flame for ~5 min/side. if it's a true 2" cut, you might have to bump that up to 5.5min.
I prefer a damn near red hot cast iron skillet for my 2" cuts. 5 min side one on high gas heat, flip over and into the 500+ degree oven for another 5.

I will grill a steak outdoors for a special occasion like cigar time.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.

This started out as a very respectable conversation about mountain bikes, and its gotten very silly. Very silly indeed. All this talking about steaks and forks. Very silly.

On my cue, we will cut back to a very sensible conversation about bicycles, Iron Horse, and no more sillyness.

DIRECTOR........cut.

I bet very few people get this.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This started out as a very respectable conversation about mountain bikes, and its gotten very silly. Very silly indeed. All this talking about steaks and forks. Very silly.

On my cue, we will cut back to a very sensible conversation about bicycles, Iron Horse, and no more sillyness.

No sillier than discussing internal business practices on MTBR.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY

DIRECTOR........cut.

Dear Sirs at the BBC, I wish to register a complaint...

PS, the whole bike industry is just like the Ministry of Silly Walks!

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Hunter Steaks made locally by Hembolds = bacon wrapped steak put thru the cubing machine.

Damn the grill flares up from them, but soooo goood

Oh I'm sorry, just one moment. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Its a bit runny
I like it runny.

I prefer a damn near red hot cast iron skillet for my 2" cuts. 5 min side one on high gas heat, flip over and into the 500+ degree oven for another 5.

I will grill a steak outdoors for a special occasion like cigar time.
I too keep grilling outside for special occasions, like days ending in Y.

Our smoke detectors don't like the red-hot iron skillet thing. That method is only to be used when I'm too lazy to shovel out the grill as it leaves my entire house looking similar to my dorm room in college...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I like it runny.

I too keep grilling outside for special occasions, like days ending in Y.

Our smoke detectors don't like the red-hot iron skillet thing. That method is only to be used when I'm too lazy to shovel out the grill as it leaves my entire house looking similar to my dorm room in college...
One of the very few things I miss about California is that when I cooked, probably 75% of my meals were done on the grill, year round.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I like it runny.

I have one of those fancy hoods over my stove :cheers:

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia

DIRECTOR........cut.

Damn, someone from the other side of the pond understands Monty Python... :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: