Quantcast

Impressions of my BCD Inedible

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Well my DH racing season has pretty much come to an end here, so I figured that I would post my thoughts on the BCD Inedible that I raced this season. I would first off like to thank Alex Morgan for helping me out last minute with the frame when my prior sponsorship fell through. He went out of his way to make sure that things went well for me. Next thanks go out to the rest of my sponsors: NEMA clothing, SIC components, Romic shocks, Truvativ and Kenda.

I picked up my frame from Alex while driving across the country on my way to West Virginia with Team Swift. I left home with a backpack full of clothes/gear and a box full of the parts I would need to build my Inedible. When I fist saw the frame, I could definitely tell that a lot of love was put into the creation and finish of the frame. ex. machined Chris King top caps used for pivot retainers, BCD patch on the back of the top-tube...The build went fairly smooth. In all it took less than and hour and a half. Due to a miscommunication, I had forgotten to bring a 150mm thru-axle with me, but a quick trip to the hardware store and a piece of al;-thread later and the bike was finished. I didn’t have my top crown for my Boxxer yet, as I was going to be picking up one from Romic at WV, so all I was able to do at Alex’s place was pedal the bike around very quick, and it seemed to do that well. Back on the road we went and a couple days later we were at Snowshoe. After a quick cruise of the pits, I found out that my Romic shipment hadn’t arrived yet with Monkey, so I went to Rock Shox and was able to buy a older crown for $10. I was now able to actually ride the bike around. I found out that I didn’t really like the shock that was on the bike (9.5x3.0) the headangle was a bit to steep and BB a bit to high, so I put my (8.5x2.5) on and that seemed perfect. With this shock, the BB height was 13.75", head angle was between 64-65 degrees and travel was 7". This was the geometry I gave to Alex before he built the bike and it felt spot on.

The next day I had early morning practice. The top part of my run was pretty good, but I felt a bit slow as I had never ridden in wet, slippery conditions like those before. I had my first problem about 1/3 of the way down my run. I went into this g-out a bit fast and I hear a snap. I thought I broke my brand new bike and was pretty bummed, but I found out that the E-glass shock mount had broken. Alex told me to test this out by jumping off some stuff, but I was too amped to ride my bike that I went straight for the DH course. Alex gave me an extra steel shock mount rod so I was still good to go. A half hour push back up to the top and a quick fix and I was back on the mountain. After that first practice session was over, I was super happy with the way the bike performed. If fit me like a glove, which made sense since all Inedibles are custom made per rider. The rear end was just about the stiffest that I have felt, and I had owned and ridden most bikes that are on the market. I could rail corners that on other bikes I would be hopping all over the place. The bike though I had it setup with only 7" of rear travel also seemed almost bottomless due to the high pivot and rearward wheel path. Also I never felt brake jack with the frame. Maybe I don’t use my brakes much. Mud clearance in the back was huge. While many people were stopping every run to wash off their bikes so that their suspension and wheels would move, I was on the mountain doing runs. The bike also pedaled great due to the pulley at the pivot, but I must admit that I am a coaster so I could care less about the pedaling ability of my bike. Fast forward to race my race run. The top section was going great until I got to that log launch thing that you had to pre jump. I was going super fast and even though I pre jumped a good 15-20 ft before the log, I managed to land at the bottom, flat and sideways. This was probably a good 10ft to flat and the frame held up. I had a crash on the bottom long drop thing and felt slow through the pedaling sections, but managed to win Semi-pro D by10 seconds. I couldn’t feel happier with the bike.

The next week at Vermont, things started good. I got in a couple very fast runs and the bike was soaking everything up perfectly, but on the 3rd run, I went down very hard on the off camber rock section on the top of the course. When I got back up to my feet, I found out that my front tire had popped off the bead, my front break lever was broken, my frame was cracked, and my leg wasn’t working properly. With the fall that I took and at the speed I was going, I am pretty sure just about any bike would have received some sort of structural damage. Todd Seplavy was kind enough to let me borrow his Medium SGS, but after a days practice with a hurt leg, things weren’t going to well. On Saturday Dave Weagle let me borrow his Iron Horse Sunday and it fit me much better than the SGS. I can’t ride bike bikes. So with a bike that fit better and a leg that had an extra day to heal, I was back. I took a couple practice runs down the sport course (super fun course with high speed sections, and flowy tree sections at the bottom) and was pretty happy. I went on to win Semi-pro DH by 10 seconds.

A couple weeks later I was in Whistler and my repaired frame had arrived. Alex was able to beef up the cross section where the frame cracked in Vermont. I built the bike up and it was good to go. I proceeded to beat the hell out of the frame for the next 3 weeks while I was in whistler to see if it could crack again. I did some stupid stuff and it held up better than I did. I broke my collarbone. After I was healed up, I headed to Durango where the frame shined. It holds those super fast off-camber turns great and sucked those huge drops like there were nothing. I won this race, but only by a second and a half (I was out of shape due to being off the bike for 6 weeks, and the altitude and a sloppy run didn’t help).

All in all I could be happier with my frame. Alex built it up light and it held up great. There are 3-4 year old Inedibles that have been beat to **** and are still going strong. I haven’t weighed the complete bike as that wasn’t a concern of mine, but with DH tubes, steel springs, heavy parts and what not, it think it is low 40's. I would love to ride for a big team next year, but if things don’t work out I know for sure what I will be riding next year, my Krolik Inedible.

If there is any specific info you want, just let me know.

For better pics of the frame go here: http://bcdracing.com/frames/sanjay/sanjay.htm
A taste of what the frame has been put through: http://www.skunark.net/~shaun/index.php?dir=&file=whistler04.wmv

Thread about my frame before I picked it up: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88165&highlight=sanjay

Attachments

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
nice writeup man. It was cool being able to check that thing out in person. I didnt know that shock bolt had snapped, i was wondering what the deal with that was.
Did you manage to get some more rotor bolts by the end of the season? ahaha

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hi, My name is sanjay. I need a thru-axle, do you happen to have one kind sir? In exchange I offer you these 3 giant enema syringes i just happen to have with me in my raincoat.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Transcend said:
Hi, My name is sanjay. I need a thru-axle, do you happen to have one kind sir? In exchange I offer you these 3 giant enema syringes i just happen to have with me in my raincoat.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha that picture is so damn funny i nearly shat myself good job with the quote to go with it too fraser :thumb:

Nice writeup Sanjay, I hope you end up on a big team next year, you need it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sanjay definitely needs to be on a big team. One with matching clothes and bikes, and a manager who likes to present the most somber professional image possible. Anything else won't jive with his personality.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Good write up sanjay it was cool meeting you and checking out the big carbon doohicky up in whistler with dbr. Hope to see you at some east coast races if i actually race next year

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Fronj, you will need to have Donnie test that BCD before you say anything official about the frame. It's single pivot. I hope Alex brings back the "gearbox" concept..

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Sanjay, Great frame if I do say so myself... very good description of it. You hit the nail on the head about the handling and fit. Its difficult to think about racing another bike after riding the bcd. Alex does great work.

http://bcdracing.com/frames/robs/

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Better than taking it in the a$$ like you, since you want to get dirty about it.

Hey, don't get angry, it's all in good fun right?

You remove yours, and I'll remove mine.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Hey Fronjbag, I liked your BCD exept for the fact you had to go to the hardware store a bit too often in Whistler!!!!!!!!

sÉb

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jm_ said:
Better than taking it in the a$$ like you, since you want to get dirty about it.

Hey, don't get angry, it's all in good fun right?

You remove yours, and I'll remove mine.
who said anything about dirty; at least try to make it funny. you were the one spouting off about enemas and i saw the opening.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
narlus said:
who said anything about dirty; at least try to make it funny. you were the one spouting off about enemas and i saw the opening.
Big distinction;

I wasn't personally involving anyone in my post. You crossed the line.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Can everyone just delete the crap and take it to PM? I'd rather enjoy reading about/making fun of Sanjay...

I know sanjay

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
The OC
Sanjay is already on a big name team, its called the baby killers. We're sponsored by Skoal, and king cobra malt liquor.
Sanjay is not black, he's indian, a very dark indian.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Transcend said:
Ok how about this...

enema juice, mm mm good.

Fraser,

I would have done just about anything for that 12mmx150mm axle. I think I asked everyone at West Virginia two times if they had an extra and that was the only one. It's a good thing you guys didn't know how deperate I really was.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
punkassean said:
Sanjay,

Did you race Big Bear Saturday? If so how was it???
I didn't go to Big Bear last weekend. I thought it wouldn't have been the smartest idea to ride my bike. I could barely walk down a set of stairs. I am going to Parkfield this weekend for some fun and a little racing on the side.

Apr 1, 2002
Freezin my arse off!
Metal said:
Fraser,
I would have done just about anything for that 12mmx150mm axle. I think I asked everyone at West Virginia two times if they had an extra and that was the only one. It's a good thing you guys didn't know how deperate I really was.
yes and that scene will be in the Special Edition DVD of Less than Zero.. called
Sanjay: Punkin' for Axle.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Metal said:
I didn't go to Big Bear last weekend. I thought it wouldn't have been the smartest idea to ride my bike. I could barely walk down a set of stairs. I am going to Parkfield this weekend for some fun and a little racing on the side.
What did you do to yourself now, you looked to be walking just fine at IB?

Heal up man, and stop hurting yourself!

How come no one wanted our Mike Oxbig badge?

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
ssaddict said:
What did you do to yourself now, you looked to be walking just fine at IB?

Heal up man, and stop hurting yourself!

How come no one wanted our Mike Oxbig badge?
I actually hurt myself like 5 weeks ago at the Cal State Northstar race. A couple weeks later on the way to the Mammoth National, a huge hematoma formed on my leg from the fall I took earlier. It is fiannly at the point where I can pedal a bike and I can now walk down stairs.
While I was at Interbike, I could walk on the flat surface allright.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Metal said:
I actually hurt myself like 5 weeks ago at the Cal State Northstar race. A couple weeks later on the way to the Mammoth National, a huge hematoma formed on my leg from the fall I took earlier. It is fiannly at the point where I can pedal a bike and I can now walk down stairs.
While I was at Interbike, I could walk on the flat surface allright.
I know how those things feel! Theyre absolutely terrible. When I ate it at mt snow i couldnt ride my bike properly for like a full month after that. I really hope thats not something I have to deal with again. I got like 3 of those in the past year but the one on my leg was by far the worst.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I've got a few questions for Sanjay.

How would you compare you Commencal DH bike to the BCD? How does each ride? Which is better in the really fast stuff where you've just gotta hold a line?