Quantcast

I'm sure there are lots of threads about 29ers, but...

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
If she's a lanky 5'4" with long legs & arms & short torso, might be okay, if the other way, probably not. At that height on a 29er there will be some tradeoffs to consider handling wise. My wife is 5'6" and has been eyeing the 29er but is not fully convinced after riding a few.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you ride during a thunderstorm you increase the possiblity of getting hit by lightning by 40%. Thats because God hates Fags and only a fag would ride a 29'r... When Ezekiel saw the wheel it was a 26" wheel. Proof:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I say no. Getting the bars appropriately low is going to be really hard, as is getting reasonable stand over.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Sure she can. My girl is 5'4" and she rides a 15.5" 29r Stumpie.

Both the Stumpie & the small AIR/SIR Niner both fit her just fine with the stand over etc.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Sure she can. My girl is 5'4" and she rides a 15.5" 29r Stumpie.

Both the Stumpie & the small AIR/SIR Niner both fit her just fine with the stand over etc.

How many other bikes did she test ride before you helped her decide what bike to get? To fully qualify what bike did she have before that Stumpy?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Several (all hardtail 29rs available locally in ABQ):

Spot
Giant
Gary Fisher
Cannondale
Kona
Specialized
Niner

Of those, the Niner and Specialized fit with respect to stand over height and cockpit feel/reach.

The Niners were spendy compared to the Stumpie.

Her old bike was 26" wheeled Schwinn Homegrown which she raced the Coyote Classic down in El Paso with a broken wrist. One of the women she raced with let her check out her 29r on the course afterwards and my girl was hooked. I dont know if any of you have ridden in that area, but the course is brutal...

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Several (all hardtail 29rs available locally in ABQ):
Cannondale
which 29er did she ride? Cdale doesnt make a woman's 29er...or was it a men's frame?

at 5'4" she shouldnt have any problem. ive sold several woman her size Giant Rainier's. its not a high end bike, but still a pretty good bike and has a sloped TT for extra clearance.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
How many other bikes did she test ride before you helped her decide what bike to get? To fully qualify what bike did she have before that Stumpy?
It matters not how many other bikes she tested. My guess is that it was either get the 29er or listen to N8 go on and on about 29ers all day.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Isn't a 26" wheel for a 5'4" person proportionally similar to a 29" for a 6'4" person? Kind of the same logic that 650c wheels are used for small road bikes? I honestly don't get small frames with 29" wheels. I Just feel like a 26" would be less of a hindrance in tight steep terrain for her, something Ive personally noticed riding 29er and I'm 6'2"

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Looks more like a hybrid bike with bars that high? Bikes with 0cm drop handle horrible, I can't imagine how sketchy that set up is for her with -12cm.

I generally discourage shorter people from riding 29er's, partially for the reason above. The set up's quite often can't be optimal to take advantage of the wheelsize due to higher front ends and shorter saddle heights. Whats the point of "easily rolling over stuff" if your hands are way up in the air, effectively ruining the ability to corner and control the bike?

I've ridden the things, I get why (tall) people like them, but its amazing how jacked up most setups are.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Alright, well count me as thrilled, too, but not at the proselytizing level. I think it's the perfect wheelsize for a SS hardtail, as well as for an all-day big ride bike. But I'll still be taking my Covert when I head to Moab, because 26 vs. 29 is not an either/or proposition.
- Joe

It's for a customer and I don't suspect I'm going to get a S Epic 29 to demo. I'm looking for folks that actually have mileage. So far the only one thrilled is N8, and we know how that weighs. ;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So what you've done is show that people who hang out in the eMpTy BeeR 29er forum like 29ers. Good work.

Your pic above vindicates my point. An XC bike with the bars way above the seat is fvcking dumb unless there's a really good reason for it, i.e. a medical issue with the rider than necessitates it. Wanting to ride a 29er is NOT a good reason for making a bike fit that badly. Hell, the bars on my DH bike are closer to the seat than that.