Quantcast

I love the new trends in trailbikes!

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
So it started with the Pitch, then Yeti came through with the ASR5, then some others like the new SC blur tr and the bandit. And now there's this! Cheaper than the blur, hotter than all the others, ibis haas kickass customer service, and it has everyone's favorite suspension.

http://m.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Untitled,6618/bturman,109

And the spitfire can suck it, bushings suck and so does climbing a 66° head angle, and yes, I know from experience as that is what my 4.5" trailbike currently has!

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Neat bike for sure.

FWIW, I'm liking 67 on my Trance. I thought it would suck, but it's pretty good with wide bars and a short stem. I just climb fireroad though. Never been a big fan of climbing the singletrack in my area.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I run uncut atlas 780's with a 50mm stem on my trailbike. It felt great climbing singletrack with the stock shock and 69° head angle. I don't think short stems and wide bars take away too much from that, but making tight switchbacks suffers a lot when you're raked, and lots of front end wander. Like I said, I'm about 66° now with my pike at full extension, but when I drop it to 115ish, it kicks ass climbing. Without jabbering too much, my point is, is that anything sub 67 just isn't too fun for climbing tech, and when you're running sub 30 lbs 5" travel bikes, it doesn't help get over getting bounced all over enough going down to warrant working way harder going up!

If you're just climbing fireroads, why not run something a little bigger that can take the hard hits, and give you downhill style suspension!? Like... an enduro bike!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
amen, i just ordered a bandit a few weeks ago...

these super slack trail bikes are great if you climb fire roads all the time then bomb down (like a lot of great spots in the west) but I ride full singletrack most of the time...Seems like the industry is building bikes that people that people want.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
If you're just climbing fireroads, why not run something a little bigger that can take the hard hits, and give you downhill style suspension!? Like... an enduro bike!
There were plenty of more enduro-ish bikes I wanted, but either couldn't get at the shop I PT at, or didn't have certain features I wanted.

I also have an Intense SS1, so there would've been some quiver overlap with a 6 inch bike... So far the Trance is filling my needs very, very well. ;)

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
interesting you saying this...cause I dont actually.Im desperate and have no idea what will replace my 2009 Remedy next year.lol

All of those bikes are far too "XC" for where I live...or at least for me anyways. Where are the 6x6 travel bikes gone ? I want either a 36 or Lyric up front ...

Not a whole lot of those out there unfortunately...I mean , they are not "rare" by any means but it seems the trend has gone down to lesser/ weaker travel up front and that just doesn't cut it for me personally.

Ive been running a single ring up front FOR YEARS on several different bikes and they've all pedaled uphill like champs.We are in 2011 now and I cant even think of a single lite duty trail bike speced out with a chain retention device...GAY:)I though at least by now we'd see a few bikes with a single ring setup and a 10 speeds cog but not even...this is so gay.

That new Blur is a bit of a joke IMO, At least the original 4x came with an optional chain guide, now a wanna be 4x with a 3 rings setup up front ???WTF?

Rode a few different Pitch and they all felt like turds to me...very soft compression and all had flexy noodle forks.Even with a properly tuned rear shock the thing is SOOOOo long and makes me feel like Im driving a school bus.

That Ibis is a beautiful bike though ...

Guess my self and the people I ride with are they only ones missing the slightly bigger trend from 2-3 years ago...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ive been running a single ring up front FOR YEARS on several different bikes and they've all pedaled uphill like champs.We are in 2011 now and I cant even think of a single lite duty trail bike speced out with a chain retention device...GAY:)I though at least by now we'd see a few bikes with a single ring setup and a 10 speeds cog but not even...this is so gay..
It wouldn't suit everyone but my "XC" and commuter bike is my Transition Double. They're now 4" travel (mine is the older 3.5") model and they come with ISCG mounts.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
god damnt thats a good lookin bike.:drool::drool:
this just made my short list for my new bike... if only it had a normal size bottom bracket. :rant:

can a King 135mm hub be converted to a 142mm?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Yr
interesting you saying this...cause I dont actually.Im desperate and have no idea what will replace my 2009 Remedy next year.lol

All of those bikes are far too "XC" for where I live...or at least for me anyways. Where are the 6x6 travel bikes gone ? I want either a 36 or Lyric up front ...

Not a whole lot of those out there unfortunately...I mean , they are not "rare" by any means but it seems the trend has gone down to lesser/ weaker travel up front and that just doesn't cut it for me personally.

Ive been running a single ring up front FOR YEARS on several different bikes and they've all pedaled uphill like champs.We are in 2011 now and I cant even think of a single lite duty trail bike speced out with a chain retention device...GAY:)I though at least by now we'd see a few bikes with a single ring setup and a 10 speeds cog but not even...this is so gay.

That new Blur is a bit of a joke IMO, At least the original 4x came with an optional chain guide, now a wanna be 4x with a 3 rings setup up front ???WTF?
WE
Rode a few different Pitch and they all felt like turds to me...very soft compression and all had flexy noodle forks.Even with a properly tuned rear shock the thing is SOOOOo long and makes me feel like Im driving a school bus.

That Ibis is a beautiful bike though ...

Guess my self and the people I ride with are they only ones missing the slightly bigger trend from 2-3 years ago...
What is funny about this post is that I ride the exact same stuff you do! I live in bellingham, 75 min drive from you, and my xc rides include fromme, valley cliff
, whistler, and lots of riding of riding down here that is really similar! All of that stuff is fine on a trailbike with a little bit of hope! If I wanted to focus more on the downhills, but still pedal well uphill, I don't see why you wouldn't be happy with a mojo hd, the new dixon, a nomad, an enduro, etc. there's honestly not that much difference between one of these new style trailbikes mounted with a 160 fork than an enduro bike.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want a bike that slays downhills and uphills mutually well, and I don't need a super slack head angle or plush suspension to have fun going down knowing that I have my makulu at home when I want to get super radical. And...having bikes like these on the market doesn't take away from people that want 67 ha 6" bikes, nor from those who want 66 ha 7!" bikes. There's bikes for everybody!

So don't think so much, buy a dixon, be happy, and I'll pass you on your own trails on my mojo slr! ;)

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
The head angle is too steep and the seat angle is too slack. It's no Stumpy Evo.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
interesting you saying this...cause I dont actually...All of those bikes are far too "XC" for where I live...or at least for me anyways. Where are the 6x6 travel bikes gone ? I want either a 36 or Lyric up front ...
About 70% of the riding i would do with a 4-6" frame would be suitable by these new "trail bikes" which i consider to just be long travel xc bikes. But the other 30% of the time, im slamming my bike on the down hills, jumping it, ect. Basically even though lots of these models share a similar amount of travel, they are not intended for the same uses, and everyone rides similar terrain differently, which is also a factor. For the way i attack the dh hills on my all mountain rides, the blur tr, yeti 575, or the new ibis just wouldnt work for me. I see those bikes as 80% for climbing efficiently and making the ups easier, and then just enough bike to make it down ok. I want something that's just enough to get me to the top, and then something i can let go totally open on the way down.

exactly how i felt about this bike, i hate everything about it existence

you are defiantly not alone

Yr

What is funny about this post is that I ride the exact same stuff you do! I live in bellingham, 75 min drive from you, and my xc rides include fromme, valley cliff
, whistler, and lots of riding of riding down here that is really similar! All of that stuff is fine on a trailbike with a little bit of hope
as said earlier, riding the same stuff, doesn't mean riding the same way

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
It wouldn't suit everyone but my "XC" and commuter bike is my Transition Double. They're now 4" travel (mine is the older 3.5") model and they come with ISCG mounts.
yeah I get what your saying...at least the transition as the tabs like a few other bikes out there but the point is, why there are NO trail bikes out there that has a chain guide on it right out of the box instead of a chain slapping/dropping gay ass , useless front derailleur ?

Surely Im not the only one who thinks that way.( I know Im not ) I can get climb some pretty steep trails with no problem at all on a 9 speed setup...I dont understand why there are fewer bikes with a burly 6" fork and a single ring up front nowadays . . .makes no sense to me.My Remedy weight 28 pounds, climbs like a mountain goat and it RIPS going down.

Sorry for derailing this thread . . .

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
yeah I get what your saying...at least the transition as the tabs like a few other bikes out there but the point is, why there are NO trail bikes out there that has a chain guide on it right out of the box instead of a chain slapping/dropping gay ass , useless front derailleur ?

Surely Im not the only one who thinks that way.( I know Im not ) I can get climb some pretty steep trails with no problem at all on a 9 speed setup...I dont understand why there are fewer bikes with a burly 6" fork and a single ring up front nowadays . . .makes no sense to me.My Remedy weight 28 pounds, climbs like a mountain goat and it RIPS going down.

There is no way I could run a single ring on my Enduro. A few guys around here who race pro XC feel the same. You must be pretty strong or those hills aren't quite as steep as you think ;)

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Yr

, whistler, and lots of riding of riding down here that is really similar! All of that stuff is fine on a trailbike with a little bit of hope! If I wanted to focus more on the downhills, but still pedal well uphill, I don't see why you wouldn't be happy with a mojo hd, the new dixon, a nomad, an enduro, etc. there's honestly not that much difference between one of these new style trailbikes mounted with a 160 fork than an enduro bike.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want a bike that slays downhills and uphills mutually well, and I don't need a super slack head angle or plush suspension to have fun going down knowing that I have my makulu at home when I want to get super radical. And...having bikes like these on the market doesn't take away from people that want 67 ha 6" bikes, nor from those who want 66 ha 7!" bikes. There's bikes for everybody!

So don't think so much, buy a dixon, be happy, and I'll pass you on your own trails on my mojo slr! ;)
I get what your saying dude...Would love to see you try to pass me but I never ride ValleyCliff mostly because everything in there is boring and WAY too XC for my taste...hehehe Those 32mm stanchions are quite flexy when ridden aggressively and it annoys the crap out of me.I wanna a bike that rides JUST LIKE my DH, minus the weight and length of it.

To me it seems like this new trend of trail bikes is good for cross country riders with a wanna be DH rider in mind...A bit more travel but with roughly the same specs...and thats about it.

Beside the Dixon STILL has a f-ing useless LOUD AS FACK front derailleur.Every now and then I race local XC races and do quite well ( mostly cause I smoke a crap load of those lycra riders on the way down ;) )I can ride with people on lite XC bikes and I keep up just fine...Hec, most of the time Im even ahead of them.Im a light guy and Im rather fit but most of my friends are un-fit and still ride a similar setup ...

Like Tetreault said , riding the same stuff, doesn't mean riding the same way :thumb: Go out and try a Float 36 VS 32 on your Mojo and I dare you to tell me you've liked the 32 better...for very similar weight the 36 just feels like you have SOOOOO much more up front.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
67.5* HA after installing an angleset? is that right? i'm guessing that is with a 140mm fork based on this:

"...but with the Angleset option and Ibis’ blessing to run a 150mm fork (but they don’t recommend going to 160)..."

my trance x is running a 150mm fork and sits just over 67* and with the 44|44 angelset on the way i'll have that thing at ~66.5. with a 65mm stem and 29.5" bars it rips.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
There is no way I could run a single ring on my Enduro. A few guys around here who race pro XC feel the same. You must be pretty strong or those hills aren't quite as steep as you think ;)
I never said I race pro XC??? and I bet you'd be JUST FINE with a single ring...:thumb:When was the last time you were in both the smallest ring front and rear?I bet most of the time you're proly small ring front and somewhere in the middle at the back which would roughly be equivalent to a 32t front and small cog at the back...I can climb absolutely anything in my area with no problem at all..

Last edited:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
are people really crashing more because their HA is steeper than 66?

the only reason to "need" a 66 or slacker HA on a "trail bike" is because you can't handle the geometry change from your big bike.

(or... he silently whispered... because you lack the anticipation and other related skills to account for a "steep" HA)

are BMXers now running mid-60s HAs on their BMX bikes?:weee:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
WTF does this mean? That you can't take the damn thing off and run a chainguide if you prefer...just like your Remedy. Weird.
If you read the whole tread you'll know what it means...Show me a trail bike that comes STOCK with a chainguide or even the tabs the run one...option are rather slim I'd say

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Christ, this thread, again?

Back to the bike... that thing looks pretty rad. Hope they fixed the flex issues with the older Mojo. Those things still tickle my fancy aesthetically though. 22.5lb complete with a rad suspension system and some sweet numbers? Sign me up.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
If you read the whole tread you'll know what it means...Show me a trail bike that comes STOCK with a chainguide or even the tabs the run one...option are rather slim I'd say
Seriously? Buy a bleeding chainguide if you want one! These bikes cost thousands of dollars.

Better yet, buy a frame and build it exactly the way you want.

Last edited:

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Specialized Enduro comes stock with a chainguide. Stumpy EVO also comes with a chainguide. Banshee Spitfire has ISCG tabs (and probably other trail bikes if I look).

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Seriously? Buy a bleeding chainguide if you want one! These bikes cost thousands of dollars.

Better yet, buy a frame and build it exactly the way you want.
I didnt mean to derail this thread nor to start a never ending argument,sorry . . . just saying I dont really understand this new trend given my own experience...You're saying bikes cost thousands of dollars, yet , most people I know end up spending even more to buy a bleeding chain guide...Why ??? when You'd think there should at least be more than just a few options out there...Beside most of my argument was around the forks being a little too XC for my taste and I find that a bit much to add to the bill when trying to get a bike dialed ...

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
"...but with the Angleset option and Ibis’ blessing to run a 150mm fork (but they don’t recommend going to 160)..."
wonder why the dont recommend a 160mm fork. my 36 Talas R that id through on there is thankfully 150 but was just curious

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
No worries, I hear ya. I guess I was a little jumpy because I've been on a Dixon for the last two months and it's pretty much the best all-rounder bike I've ridden. The 2x10 works pretty damn well on it but I will probably throw a chainguide/single ring on it every once and a while.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I never said I race pro XC??? and I bet you'd be JUST FINE with a single ring...:thumb:When was the last time you were in both the smallest ring front and rear?I bet most of the time you're proly small ring front and somewhere in the middle at the back which would roughly be equivalent to a 32t front and small cog at the back...I can climb absolutely anything in my area with no problem at all..
I know you didn't say you raced pro. I was just saying some fit guys here in North Van can't do without a granny ring either.

On the slog up Seymour (Old Buck) I'm usually in the 22/32 the whole way up. Sure I spin it as I'm about as powerful as a flea, but that said, I've never seen anyone stomp a 32T chainring up the whole climb without stopping/dying.

Hopefully I'll get up for a Squamish Toonie race soon. Look forward to seeing you mash that 32T :)

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
are people really crashing more because their HA is steeper than 66?

the only reason to "need" a 66 or slacker HA on a "trail bike" is because you can't handle the geometry change from your big bike.

(or... he silently whispered... because you lack the anticipation and other related skills to account for a "steep" HA)

are BMXers now running mid-60s HAs on their BMX bikes?:weee:
BMX bikes don't ride over mountain bike terrain do they?

I was riding a race last year and I was so spent on the descents after climbing for two hours that I did two massive pant crapping endos on steep sections. If I was on a 68 degree head angled XC bike I would have died.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
BMX bikes don't ride over mountain bike terrain do they?

I was riding a race last year and I was so spent on the descents after climbing for two hours that I did two massive pant crapping endos on steep sections. If I was on a 68 degree head angled XC bike I would have died.
ooorrrrr, you wouldn't have been spent from climbing if you had a more climbing oriented HA and you then would've had more energy for the descent....heh heh

don't worry, my HA is 66.5, but I run a triple ring and proudly use the granny gear whenever I feel like it, leaving me feeling fresh for the down, never understood the tough guy single ring only thing out here, only drop my chain once in a while, but not enough to think I need a guide or single ring.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
how about one of these?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Of course I'm riding things differently on a 5" bike with my seat up my ass, than you are with a 6"bike with the seat slammed, whatever. All I'm saying is that these new bikes are capable of riding the same trails you're riding. Yeah, they don't go down as fast, but they're more fun for rolling up and down, or up, or everything but just the rough downhill sections...but they do ok there, too. What is so nice these days is that you can also buy a bike that's better going down! I need the help going up, not down, so more xc oriented trailbikes are what I'm into!

Chainguide argument... The vast majority of people buying xc bikes don't run single rings, so it doesn't make much sense to stock your company's trailbike with one, unless you're like specialized and can have many different niche versions of each bike. Besides, any good shop will throw in a chainguide, installed, if you buy one of these new bikes. Yeah, most frames don't have iscg tabs, and it would be sweet if they did, but every guide I've bought since like 2002 has come with the adapter plate. In fact, that's what I'm using right now! Did I mention that my xc bike has a chainguide? It also has thru axles front/rear, minions, 31"bars, 50mm stem and flat pedals. Serious! Maybe I'll post a photo when I get home to prove it...?

Regardless, the new trailbikes are sweet as hell, especially that ibis. Once I get a better job, my first for-fun purchase will likely be the new ibis or the blur tr, setup just like my current bike!

And to close, no dick swinging contest here, but what is awesome about this ridemonkey pissing match is that we can settle it in person! It also has that whole rivalry cause you're living in my country's hat. Anyway, let's remember this **** this summer when whistler does that trailbike race from the top of garb. If I beat you, you owe me a rack of budweiser. If you beat me, I'll owe you a rack of Molson! Real talk, son!

Back to pissing away time jabbering about bikes!

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
ooorrrrr, you wouldn't have been spent from climbing if you had a more climbing oriented HA and you then would've had more energy for the descent....heh heh

don't worry, my HA is 66.5, but I run a triple ring and proudly use the granny gear whenever I feel like it, leaving me feeling fresh for the down, never understood the tough guy single ring only thing out here, only drop my chain once in a while, but not enough to think I need a guide or single ring.
I think the people who like slack angles and no travel-drop fork can get by on a genuine ride (i.e. not a shuttle, not a coast downhill at the bike park) for only one of 3 reasons:

1) They are strong and fit, like a pro XC racer
2) Their climbs are flat-grade dirt roads or something similar
3) They don't mind pushing their bike instead of pedaling it

I think the reason most people on MTB forums install 1x9 or 1x10 has to do with fads, and the current fad is to look like Mark Weir prepping for D-ville. I'm pretty skeptical about the % of riders using 1x__ that actually could hang with Weir or someone of his fitness/strength/stamina caliber. I'd put it somewhere around 3 or 4 %.

I can run 1x9 and have done so, mainly because I have been riding singlespeeds for a long time and am used to pedaling a bigger-than-granny gear from a stand-and-slowly-churn perspective. But like riding a singlespeed, riding 1x__ will require me to push the bike, when otherwise (with a granny) I could pedal.

I prefer to be fresh for the descent, not wiped out and hanging on for life! So I tend to prefer 2 rings up front. But there is something very nice about a quiet drivetrain if you descend chunky trails, eh? Which suggests I could use a 2-ring guide but that doesn't really appeal to me for some reason.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
2 other big things that effect the 1x_____ or 2x____ setup choice:

1. length or ride. if you are riding for 1-2 hours, its a heck of alot easier to push a 32 or 34 or whatever up a couple of hills. if you are riding for 6 hours, well... having a bail out gear gets nice for that long, steep uphill grunt back to your car.

2. elevation. in colorado, if you are riding the epic high alpine stuff, which is were the slack xc bikes thrive (certainly the front range rides don;'t require a 67 HA), tell me you think you can pedal up 12% rocky, loose, technical trail at 12000 or 13000 feet. sure i can ride that stuff all day at 5000 feet in a middle ring, but no way at 12000 or 13000 feet. and i certainly would rather ride up hill in the 24t than push up hill for 3 or 4 hours. (and you certainly want a 67 or less HA, 31" bars, 50mm stem, big brakes and 160+mm travel for the 5000-7000 foot, 10-20 mile, 20-45 minute descent :D)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So it started with the Pitch, then Yeti came through with the ASR5, then some others like the new SC blur tr and the bandit. And now there's this! Cheaper than the blur, hotter than all the others, ibis haas kickass customer service, and it has everyone's favorite suspension.

http://m.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Untitled,6618/bturman,109

And the spitfire can suck it, bushings suck and so does climbing a 66° head angle, and yes, I know from experience as that is what my 4.5" trailbike currently has!
LOL... Must be "user error" then bc I've been able to climb everything on my new Spitfire that I was able to climb on my Ironhorse MK3. And I'm talkin some STEEP stuff. Front wheel never came up, never started to wander. It is a little tougher on some switchbacks but that is the wheelbase, not the HT angle.
:confused:

Again... Banshee Spitfire. Why all the hating? If you want, run it with a Pike and a flush cup and it will be in hte 68degree range AND it has ISCG '05 tabs for a chainguide. Personally I like it with the 66degree ht, 160mm Fox 36 and 2-ring bash setup. There are some STEEP hills around here and the 22/34 gear comes in handy.

Yes, I do mostly fireroad climbs and singletrack downs with moderate jumps and drops (5-7ft long tables and 3ft drops), but jsut yesterday we decided to climb back up on a singletrack with some switchbacks and techy rock sections and the bike handled it just fine.

Last edited:

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
LOL... Must be "user error" then bc I've been able to climb everything on my new Spitfire that I was able to climb on my Ironhorse MK3. And I'm talkin some STEEP stuff. Front wheel never came up, never started to wander. It is a little tougher on some switchbacks but that is the wheelbase, not the HT angle.
:confused:
My Spitfire wanders on steep climbs, unless I lower my fork to 130mm or so (~68* HA with the lowered fork). Definitely not as a good climber as some other XC/AM bikes I have had. And no way I can climb steep stuff unless I am in my granny ring.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I think the reason most people on MTB forums install 1x9 or 1x10 has to do with fads, and the current fad is to look like Mark Weir prepping for D-ville. I'm pretty skeptical about the % of riders using 1x__ that actually could hang with Weir or someone of his fitness/strength/stamina caliber. I'd put it somewhere around 3 or 4 %.
probably less than 3 or 4 %...that guy is a freakin animal...why even make the comparison....i don't think that many people are so delusional that they think they're drivetrain setup symbolizes whether or not they can hang with weir....

i run 1x9 because i absolutely abhor front derailleurs, and it challenges me to push a little harder, and keeps my bike setup cleaner and simpler....that's all

i might switch to 1X10 to get the 36T rear so i can get through some of the more technical climbs here and there, but all in all i'm pretty content, and i could give a sh:t about looking like mark weir