Quantcast

~~~humph it’s Thursday~~

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
4 tires on our summer bikes are flat. And I need to pump up the fatbikes every rides. Even after probably adding 1/2 liters of the stuff. It just jizzed out of every tiny holes without ever sealing.
Huh, that is not my experience. Total seallage for me. A while back I had a catastrophic front flat from broken spoke penetration, tyre bead off the rim, and by the time I had sorted my shit out it had already sealed back up the ‘not quite properly seated’ tyre against the rim. I use about 140ml in a 2.5” 29er. Also get great bead to rim seals that are hard to break when I want to change a tyre.
:blah: :shrug:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Talked to the school counselor for a bit. Said from the top down, administration can't tell who started it, just that when it's been witnessed the girls were the guilty parties. It came to awareness because some of the boys' parents called to complain about them coming home with bruises and scratches. Given that the girls involved are largely a group of girls that don't get along, they feel this is not a social group vs. social group issue.

I brought up some names on the boy side who Haley has mentioned as problems in the past, which she said I was just checking off the list, and the same for girls that Haley doesn't get along with who we assumed were also involved, which she confirmed. It works out to about 1/3 of the 5th grade. It was like Lord of the Flies apparently.

As a whole, the 5th grade in the district has been having behavioral issues. They were 2nd and 3rd grade the two years where the school was either shut down or had substantial impacts related to COVID. So only mildly formative years...
let 'em hash it out thunderdome style

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
They use FedEx, who will happily leave the bike on your porch with no one home.
OR in the middle of your driveway by the roadside. Sometimes they even make it down the driveway 20 feet and lean it up against the pole barn. I haven't had a FedEx package delivered to my porch in ages. It's a "where's waldo" moment whenever I get a delivery notification from them.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Huh, that is not my experience. Total seallage for me. A while back I had a catastrophic front flat from broken spoke penetration, tyre bead off the rim, and by the time I had sorted my shit out it had already sealed back up the ‘not quite properly seated’ tyre against the rim. I use about 140ml in a 2.5” 29er. Also get great bead to rim seals that are hard to break when I want to change a tyre.
:blah: :shrug:
It's so bad in my case that I could think I have a bad batch?!

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I am debating sending one of my retired N+1 back east to ride when visiting peeps.

So I was curious if it would be cheaper to ship a bike in two boxes (frame and wheels separate) than in one BIG box re: pricing structure. Before I play around with BikeFlights, has anybody ever tried this?

My SC Superlight (small) frame would fit into a MUCH smaller box, and I assume some of the //////cost is due to the box size/shape.

When I did a dummy bike box quote BikeFlights was $78ish vs. $93 PirateShip same specs @ 45 lbs...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am debating sending one of my retired N+1 back east to ride when visiting peeps.

So I was curious if it would be cheaper to ship a bike in two boxes (frame and wheels separate) than in one BIG box re: pricing structure. Before I play around with BikeFlights, has anybody ever tried this?

My SC Superlight (small) frame would fit into a MUCH smaller box, and I assume some of the //////cost is due to the box size/shape.

When I did a dummy bike box quote BikeFlights was $78ish vs. $93 PirateShip same specs @ 45 lbs...
i can't remember the breakpoint but once the max dimension of a box reaches a certain size it gets real expensive.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
google says this for UPS

Large Package Surcharges
For domestic shipments, a package is considered a "Large Package" when its length (longest side of the package) plus girth [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] combined exceeds 130 inches or its length exceeds 96 inches.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Results from Tuesday's trip to the orthopedist, a sweet cast. He's entirely too stoked on having a cast, this does not bode well for my future...

cast.jpg

Thinking this fracture has been there for a while because he's moving around better, and running faster with the cast than he has in the last 6-7 months.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

I use bike flights fairly often. They have been using UPS for a while. I think $500 is the cut off in value and the. A signature is required for drop off.
Depending on the box size it might be cheaper in two. I recently shipped a wheel set for $28.

Also learned recently that walking into UPS is a good way to get hosed. Ie: shipping a seatpost was almost $30:fie:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
OR in the middle of your driveway by the roadside. Sometimes they even make it down the driveway 20 feet and lean it up against the pole barn. I haven't had a FedEx package delivered to my porch in ages. It's a "where's waldo" moment whenever I get a delivery notification from them.
The advantage of FedEx is they post a photo with the tracking when delivered. So i know if they've signed for it themselves and left it at my mailbox a quarter mile away.
Also learned recently that walking into UPS is a good way to get hosed. Ie: shipping a seatpost was almost $30:fie:
I think that's because pretty much all ups are independent franchises so they just add their own markup %.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do you feel though that the Stan's from the early days if sealants, like 20 years ago, was more chunky and effective?
All Stans is is thinned latex (possibly thinned with ammonia) and chopped fiberglass. If you want it thicker you could just chop up a little fiberglass and add it.

Stans also has a new Race version which just has some perlite in it. You can't inject it through the valve stem but you can get perlite really cheap and just toss a little into a tire when you mount it.

1677802646548.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just put in a new head unit last week specifically for the Android auto, but have limited use with it obviously.

What is the work profile you speak of?
It's essentially a boundary between your personal and work stuff and has other controls.

Maybe it's not even possible, but I can't figure out how to get notifications or calls in my work profile to appear on the screen...even though the work profile checkbox is checked in Android auto settings.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's essentially a boundary between your personal and work stuff and has other controls.

Maybe it's not even possible, but I can't figure out how to get notifications or calls in my work profile to appear on the screen...even though the work profile checkbox is checked in Android auto settings.
So it ignores work shit, sounds like it is working perfectly.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It's so bad in my case that I could think I have a bad batch?!
I always wonder about things like using soapy water to mount tyres as recommended by cushcore and many others. I never do this, I always dry everything as much as possible, and normally let it all dry out from cleaning for a good day or so before re-building it all. I mean, muc off is literally washed away by water so adding it inside and around your tyre to help mounting and then adding a sealant that is degraded by it seems like a terrible idea. Soapy water seems like an even worse idea.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I always wonder about things like using soapy water to mount tyres as recommended by cushcore and many others. I never do this, I always dry everything as much as possible, and normally let it all dry out from cleaning for a good day or so before re-building it all. I mean, muc off is literally washed away by water so adding it inside and around your tyre to help mounting and then adding a sealant that is degraded by it seems like a terrible idea. Soapy water seems like an even worse idea.
Never did that also. I want rubber on metal as dry as possible.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
happy for the wife lady at the moment. after being out of her post-doc for 17 years and minimally studying she decided to take her psych licensure exam to open up more options and passed on her first try. i guess the kids know which side of the family their smarts come from...

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

Not sure I can help then. I fortunately do not have a work phone by refusing any attempt to give me one. I do have Teams and Outlook on my personal phone so I can be "working" when doing other things (read: riding), and Teams messages do come through just fine. But that's really not a corporate setup, so probably why.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This fucking neighborhood :rofl:

My neighbor has been watching me wail on my roof for 5 days now. My partner called someone for an estimate to help shovel before the next wave of donner party this saturday. My neighbor's wife comes over after this guy leaves and in english that's about as good as my spanish "what he tell you, how much?" We tell her 800 and she shakes her head and leaves. About 2 hours later a friend of hers shows up and says "olivia say you need roof...600 dollars" :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

My neighbor has been watching me wail on my roof for 5 days now. My partner called someone for an estimate to help shovel before the next wave of donner party this saturday. My neighbor's wife comes over after this guy leaves and in english that's about as good as my spanish "what he tell you, how much?" We tell her 800 and she shakes her head and leaves. About 2 hours later a friend of hers shows up and says "olivia say you need roof...600 dollars" :rofl:
How are the troops?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

It seems sunny in the day, can you use a black tarp, or some other black stuff to help you out? I was wondering if you could add a bunch of black food colouring to salt, (which would obviously cake it up pretty bad) but then smash it up and sprinkle it over everything to help get the sun on your side?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It seems sunny in the day, can you use a black tarp, or some other black stuff to help you out? I was wondering if you could add a bunch of black food colouring to salt, (which would obviously cake it up pretty bad) but then smash it up and sprinkle it over everything to help get the sun on your side?
You've probably never actually seen 8ft of snow on a roof have you? Chemical and heat means just don't cut it. It just gets denser and no less water content. It's like insulting me, it just makes it angrier. We got one sunny day above freezing, today so I went to work getting some shingles exposed. Tomorrow is colder windier and cloudier so there will be three of us with shovels.....pretty much the only way that kind of mass goes anywhere without a month of sun and 50+ degrees. I want this off before the next 4ft dump saturday-sunday

#howkidwoousedhisvacationdaysin2023

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You've probably never actually seen 8ft of snow on a roof have you? Chemical and heat means just don't cut it. It just gets denser and no less water content. It's like insulting me, it just makes it angrier. We got one sunny day above freezing, today so I went to work getting some shingles exposed. Tomorrow is colder windier and cloudier so there will be three of us with shovels.....pretty much the only way that kind of mass goes anywhere without a month of sun and 50+ degrees. I want this off before the next 4ft dump saturday-sunday

#howkidwoousedhisvacationdaysin2023

If only you had some kind of powered snow moving contraption. Maybe a plastic lightweight electric one.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If only you had some kind of powered snow moving contraption. Maybe a plastic lightweight electric one.
don't think honda2 hasn't crossed my mind

those little electric toys would commit suicide just looking at this stack

goes like "yoip yoip yoip" then jumps off the roof onto its face, knowing it will die in its own lithum inferno, a fate far better than facing its own inadequacy

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Oh, and SOME OF YOU mock me for hiring Diego to scrape a little gorilla goo for $25... :D