Quantcast

Huh, you know what? Housing *isn't* a great investment...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Wow. I never realized what a loser I was. :( Someone should just euthanize me, so the valuable oxygen I consume is preserved for a better-fit human being.

Oh well. Until then... I shall never relinquish my dreams of becoming a bitter, condescending, old man. Vive Antimony la douche! :weee: :weee: :weee:
I think this belongs in one of the health care threads.

:rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Because I now see how these things were ephermal indulgences. While the memories stay with me, I would have benefitted more in the long run from saving some of that money.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast in my 20's. I probably had more fun than most. But I would gladly trade some of those good times for retiring a few years earlier.
This "early retirement" thing is a myth my good man. Whether you started in your 20's or not.

Besides - if your health fails you at 50 (which it is FAR more likely to do than when you're 25) you'll change your tune and be DAMN glad you had fun in your 20's.

Remember - we don't all get to live until we're 95.

:D

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Wow, this thread got crazy.

I said earlier that I regretted buying my house. But I should have been more specific and said "I regretted buying THIS house". Its a condo, in a crappy neighborhood. No yard. Old fixtures, expensive HOA. Not super close to any good trails. Its close to work and some of my family, that's about the only positive.

Now...if I had a yard, or I was closer to the trails, then I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune. At the time, it seemed like a great idea and my Dad wanted me to get into a property as an investment, because that's what he does. And it has helped me a few times, but really, I don't like the thought of being tied to this place for the forseeable future. I don't have a career right now, haven't finished college. I'm 25 this month, single, no kids. So I don't really have a direction, but now that direction is going to be dictated by my mortgage.

So yeah, a house can be a great thing, just be very careful and very picky about where and what you are buying (duh, common sense here...)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
There is nothing wrong with a lady in a short skirt and long jacket. :thumb:

My first wife was a very successful sales rep for a perfume distributor and easily made 5 times what I was earning - one year her performance bonus exceeded my annual income. :D

Our spit, while a complete personal failure, allowed me to be a bum for 5 years and also paid for the houses I bought after we divided our assets.

Ward Cleaver lives
I have zero problem being married to a woman that makes 5 times my salary.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Wow. I never realized what a loser I was. :( Someone should just euthanize me, so the valuable oxygen I consume is preserved for a better-fit human being.

Oh well. Until then... I shall never relinquish my dreams of becoming a bitter, condescending, old man. Vive Antimony la douche! :weee: :weee: :weee:
You and your husband are like.....completely insane, aren't you. It's really nice that you've found each other.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
You and your husband are like.....completely insane, aren't you. It's really nice that you've found each other.
I have no husband. I don't believe in such rituals.

And, while I may be insane, I still have my youth!
:weee: :weee: :weee: 3 cheers to the road to being old and bitter! Hip hip, horray!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Mmike, why do you necessarily believe that your twenties are supposed to be this "throw-away" decade, where partying and traveling should be your main priorities?
Personally, while I like to both party and travel (and still do both while owning a home), I also realize they can be an exceptional waste of time and money. I don't feel "tied down" in my marriage and mortgage... I feel responsible. I take pride in my home, and the menial chores like mowing and painting and other repairs... I enjoy them. I could give a sh*t about cars, and Im in my twenties. Different strokes man.
And WTF do kids have to do with it?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Mmike, why do you necessarily believe that your twenties are supposed to be this "throw-away" decade, where partying and traveling should be your main priorities?
Personally, while I like to both party and travel (and still do both while owning a home), I also realize they can be an exceptional waste of time and money. I don't feel "tied down" in my marriage and mortgage... I feel responsible. I take pride in my home, and the menial chores like mowing and painting and other repairs... I enjoy them. I could give a sh*t about cars, and Im in my twenties. Different strokes man.
I don't for on minute mean partying and wasting the whole decade.

If we put it the context of "my business"..... Design engineers in the aircraft industry can go pretty much anywhere in the world and make more money than they can spend. They are known as job shoppers. I have friends that have worked in Europe, Isreal, all over the US and Canada etc....working for Airbus, Boeing, Bell, Bombardier, Augusta, SNECMA, Dornier etc etc....you get the idea.

The trick with these jobs is that they can be short lived. Maybe a year at a time? Sometimes more. But it can end pretty abruptly. But if you have no kids, no house and you can pick up and move to the next gig at a moment's notice, it can be a pretty sweet lifestyle. You gain great life AND career experience. Of course it's not for everyone. (I actually knew some guys that lived in campers in the parking lot of their employer)

Maintaining the ability to have this freedom when you're young is more important IN MY OPINION than building equity in a house. There is plenty of time for that later in life.

That's all I've been trying to say. If you can bang a few chicks along the way, even better.

And as for the kid thing.......fine I take it back. All I said was that I PERSONALLY felt no urgency to own a house before I had kids. I think it's important for kids to have the stability (and space) that is hard to find when you're renting. PERSONALLY, I would rather not have spent a lot of time and money maintaining a house when I could have been doing other stuff. Now that I have kids, I'm happy to be in a house.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I will admit that learning how to and repairing things around the house, by myself, is pretty satisfying. When I replaced my bathroom sink on my own, I was pretty proud of it.

I feel responsible. I take pride in my home, and the menial chores like mowing and painting and other repairs... I enjoy them.
You know...I don't think I've thought about it this way...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I think it does come down to different strokes. The thing is I guess, it depends largely on the real estate market where you would actually WANT to live.

If you're a young 20something living in a "happening" neighbourhood, then odds are, that's where you'd like to own a place. But real estate in those areas tends to be pretty 'espensive. Buying a place would be great, but then you'd find yourself less likely to consider big moves (like MMike taking off to Seattle, say...).If you're totally set up with a great job that you love in an area that you love, etc... then buying is great. But I'd say it's rare that people get that right off the bat out of school. Let alone having found a life partner.

The kids thing, well, I guess that's also subject to one's upbringing. If you grew up in an apartment, then I'd think you'd be happy having your kids in one. It's taken me a while to realise that there are plenty of strollers rolling around in my neighbourhood, which is largely condos, townhouses and the like. No yards to speak of anywhere, but big whoop. But when visualising life with kids, I've always pictured having a house with a yard. Kinda nice to be able to run out of the house in full flight and not worry about getting hit by a firetruck.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I think it does come down to different strokes. The thing is I guess, it depends largely on the real estate market where you would actually WANT to live.

If you're a young 20something living in a "happening" neighbourhood, then odds are, that's where you'd like to own a place. But real estate in those areas tends to be pretty 'espensive. Buying a place would be great, but then you'd find yourself less likely to consider big moves (like MMike taking off to Seattle, say...).If you're totally set up with a great job that you love in an area that you love, etc... then buying is great. But I'd say it's rare that people get that right off the bat out of school. Let alone having found a life partner.

Or like when you were considering taking those jobs in Qatar.....and what was the other one? Where you most likely would have gotten blown up? Was it Algeria? But look at that.....you grew up in Montreal, but now live in Vancouver because someone said, "Want a job? You start in a month".... and you were able to say "yes"

10 years ago, being able to take advantage of opportunity when it came a-knockin' was way more important to me than home-ownership.

And yes, NOW I enjoy taking care of my house.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Or like when you were considering taking those jobs in Qatar.....and what was the other one? Where you most likely would have gotten blown up? Was it Algeria? But look at that.....you grew up in Montreal, but now live in Vancouver because someone said, "Want a job? You start in a month".... and you were able to say "yes"

10 years ago, being able to take advantage of opportunity when it came a-knockin' was way more important to me than home-ownership.

And yes, NOW I enjoy taking care of my house.
Yup, Qatar and Algeria.

NO THANKS!

But that's just me. Lot's of people (especially Doug next door) think I'm nuts for having not taken the opportunity. I could be rolling in dough right now if I'd stuck with the whole mining thing. I'd have a kickass house that I'd never get the chance to enjoy, and probably an STI in the garage. With about 500 kms on it. But I also would likely be able to tell you all about the best prostitutes in far flung parts of the Earth, and be in a fierce battle with the gout.

EDIT: Ha! See? I mentioned buying a house! On second thought, I probably wouldn't bother. I'd probably have a condo in old Montreal or something. I'd definitely still be single.

Last edited: