Quantcast

Home entertainment system ?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My old man used to have that old Pioneer amp. When I got my classic high end turn table I asked him if he still had it. He had just thrown it away. I loved that thing growing up. Old man has owned about three nice things his whole life, he's tossed them all away.
Does he know they go for $3k+ these days? :panic:

I really only need 150W x 2 @ 8 ohms, but that was a model I lusted after for about half my life. I just love the sound of a tube amp pushing good speakers.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
go >55in for the tv, and pioneer andrew jones or klipsch for the speakers, and pick whatever yamaha/denon receiver is on sale for under $500
I agree with this as I did all of these things. :D The receiver I went with (Yamaha RX-V677) is last year's model, I believe, so was reasonably cheap at $380. Despite that it's still 7.1 with two zones, AirPlay, WiFi and wired Ethernet, binding post/banana plug-compatible terminals for zone 1, 4k @ 60 Hz capable with upscaling all around, etc.

Here's an update on my system after I finally got it complete last night. I had it rigged up to work but was short a few cables so the receiver was just hanging out on the floor. (50 feet of wire apparently wasn't enough.)

Big TV is big, eh?

This shot is of my Monoprice banana plug wall plates. Output from receiver to 5 channels on one plate, sub wired directly, and two zone 2 channels for kitchen built in speakers on the other plate. Third plate in distance at bottom of photo is for the run to the center channel speaker itself. I bought spools of speaker wire, the banana plug ends and plates from Monoprice, and made all these cables myself. Easy as pie with an automatic wire stripper.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I miss my old TV, 50" plasma

Before I got my good speakers. Onkyo TX-606 (they went downhill after these).

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I agree with this as I did all of these things. :D The receiver I went with (Yamaha RX-V677) is last year's model, I believe, so was reasonably cheap at $380. Despite that it's still 7.1 with two zones, AirPlay, WiFi and wired Ethernet, binding post/banana plug-compatible terminals for zone 1, 4k @ 60 Hz capable with upscaling all around, etc.

Here's an update on my system after I finally got it complete last night. I had it rigged up to work but was short a few cables so the receiver was just hanging out on the floor. (50 feet of wire apparently wasn't enough.)

Big TV is big, eh?

This shot is of my Monoprice banana plug wall plates. Output from receiver to 5 channels on one plate, sub wired directly, and two zone 2 channels for kitchen built in speakers on the other plate. Third plate in distance at bottom of photo is for the run to the center channel speaker itself. I bought spools of speaker wire, the banana plug ends and plates from Monoprice, and made all these cables myself. Easy as pie with an automatic wire stripper.
btw... i forgot to add
OCULUS RIFT.

after years of following its development and hoping for a consumer version, I was seriously ready to preordering one when the consumer version came out in january... but the price ($600 vs the $350 originally estimated) made me double think.

Made the decision last week, and the delivery for pre-orders is delayed until july (at least)....

might grab a htc vive.... vr goggles could make giant tvs obsolete...

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
btw... i forgot to add
OCULUS RIFT.

after years of following its development and hoping for a consumer version, I was seriously ready to preordering one when the consumer version came out in january... but the price ($600 vs the $350 originally estimated) made me double think.

Made the decision last week, and the delivery for pre-orders is delayed until july (at least)....

might grab a htc vive.... vr goggles could make giant tvs obsolete...
enjoy feeling like youre going to puke all the time.

I had 2 of them a shimano set-up to run the XTR video. Something about the screen being so close to your eyes and something makes people sick or fall over. At outdoor demo I had like 4 older dudes almost hit the deck.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I can do that. The room is about 22' by 22'. We can get a big-azz TV if we want, but I don't think we want huge. 40" to 48" diagonal should be plenty. Budget is not an issue. But this is not a theater and we don't want it to look like one. Nice big HD smart TV on the wall, comfortable furniture, and great sound.
for a room that large, a 40-48" tv will seem way too small unless youre sitting right up on the tv. ive typcally always recommended buying a tv size by how far away youre sitting in inches divided by 2 or 3. i prefer a larger size screen for how far away im sitting to get a more immersive experience. of the 3 big screens i have (55",56" and 65") im sitting within 10' of each. if youre able to keep your viewing mostly in the front of the screen, a curved TV would help in that immersive experience as well but youll pay for the "new" tech.
if youre going to have access to the walls to run wires, there are several great inwall/in ceiling mfgs that sound great and wont break the bank. it really depends on how much you want to spend. even for a room that size, id still stick with a 5.1 setup to help keep costs down. it will be more than enough. as appealing as a sound bar might be, they all sound awful. everyone of them. id also gladly take a HTiB over a sound bar any day. if you do go with bookshelfs or towers up front, remember that your front sound stage in the most important part of the speaker equation. going for a matching front set (L,C,R) is crucial and matching your surrounds isnt as imperative.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I like TVs and loud stuffs. Especially for movies. I still have an old 50" Panasonic plasma that works fine. Will upgrade to a newer 70ish something when it takes a crap. There's a ton of stuff out there. Most mid receivers are pretty good nowadays. A while ago you had to fork out to get more HDMI ports and stuff like that, but now, they all have tons of them with auto switching and pass through and all that kind of stuff. You can get good stuff from mid-range speakers. I prefer towers because I like how they look, but you can get good sound with four bookshelfs and a sub. IMO, a nice sub makes a system. It provides all that power and 'experience' you get in the theater that you just can't produce with small speakers. Don't buy that shit in a box (HTiB) or Jesus help you, Bose. I will poke you in the eye with a spork.

I run:

50 Panny Plasma
Pioneer Elite receiver (older) in 5.1
SVS PB-12+ Sub (my pride and joy) http://www.svsound.com/collections/ported-subwoofers/products/pb12-plus
Swan Diva Front towers and surrounds

Check out http://www.hsuresearch.com/. They have really affordable packages that are excellent for someone looking to do a one stop shop system. SVS also does excellent packages and their subs are the best out there, but they are a higher price point.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/value2pkg.html

http://www.svsound.com/products/prime-bookshelf-surround-system

Bottom line, pick some decent components, wire them up correctly and do the auto setup that most receivers now are easily capable of (they have a little microphone you connect and put where you sit then tune the system to match everything....seating position does matter) and you will be impressed at how much more encapsulating watching movies and tv really is. Plus, quality equipment will last years, if not decades. Ideally, speakers should be ear-height while seated and rear surrounds should be behind you 10 or so ft, not up above your head.

Rank of importance:

TV obviously (actually Costco has some good prices), then.

1: Left Right Center channel speakers. Most of your sound comes from here and most of the voice audio comes from the center

2: Subwoofer.

3. Receiver: Get one that has enough HDMI or whatever inputs. Most are good enough for average person unless you need it to do something specific for some reason. Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, etc, just pick one in your price point that you like. $3-400 buys a pretty decent one now.

4. Rear speakers/surrounds

5. Wiring. Don't buy Monster. It's all hype. Buy cables from Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cable or something like that. You can literally wire an entire freaking system for the cost of one damn HDMI Monster cable. That shit is for suckers to get Rick rolled by Best Buy installers.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
5. Wiring. Don't buy Monster. It's all hype. Buy cables from Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cable or something like that. You can literally wire an entire freaking system for the cost of one damn HDMI Monster cable. That shit is for suckers to get Rick rolled by Best Buy installers.
:rofl:

They do make good speaker cable, but to be honest, I used Radio Shack 16awg for mids and highs in a car that won IASCA Nationals, so you don't have to pay a lot for good wire. My towers have Monster 4awg wire because I had a bunch of it laying around.

IH8Rice has done some cable testing in his line of work, he'll be the first to laugh at Monster brand $50 HDMI cables.

I would stick to Yamaha/Denon/Pioneer for receiver. I loved my Onkyo, but they have gone down hill fast. My buddy had a 707 (twice what I paid for my 606) and his HDMI ports all went out after 2 years. Mine did as well, but the 606 used a daughter board for HDMI and I repaired it with better caps. His replacement Yamaha has been going about 5 years now.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
:rofl:

They do make good speaker cable, but to be honest, I used Radio Shack 16awg for mids and highs in a car that won IASCA Nationals, so you don't have to pay a lot for good wire. My towers have Monster 4awg wire because I had a bunch of it laying around.

IH8Rice has done some cable testing in his line of work, he'll be the first to laugh at Monster brand $50 HDMI cables.

I would stick to Yamaha/Denon/Pioneer for receiver. I loved my Onkyo, but they have gone down hill fast. My buddy had a 707 (twice what I paid for my 606) and his HDMI ports all went out after 2 years. Mine did as well, but the 606 used a daughter board for HDMI and I repaired it with better caps. His replacement Yamaha has been going about 5 years now.
I would look at NAD stuff too. Very versatile.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Naim for this guy.

Naim NAC 72 preamp with NJ Boards
TeddyPardo TCap3+ PowerSupply for preamp
Naim NAP 135 mono-block amplifiers
Totem Mani-2 speakers.
Naim and TeddyPardo cables.
Target, Totem and SoundOrg stands

Thorens TD160S turntable Linn arm and AT cartridge
Naim CDX2 CD player
TeddyPrardo XPS power supply for cdplayer
Naim NAT05 Tuner
Cowon S9 Digital source

Panasonic Plasma TV

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Clearly you don't know shit all of you. A quality projector and screen allows you to make hand shadow puppets. No greater a skill has not been conceived since. Tesla was in on that shit... Kids love Tesla...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Clearly you don't know shit all of you. A quality projector and screen allows you to make hand shadow puppets. No greater a skill has not been conceived since. Tesla was in on that shit... Kids love Tesla...
We had a projector TV that popped up out of an oversized footstool in the late 70s. My parents upgraded to a ceiling mount sometime in the 80s. You had pull the shades or watch at night for the best picture.