Quantcast

Hill wins latest aussie race

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
First, big props to Sam for winning in such dominate fashion...I guess the bike isn't an issue for him afterall(shocking)...Btw, do they spell "Specialized" differently in Oz?

Also, anybody know if Mick was still on his Goose or had he switched over to GT?

Last edited:

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
I don't get how some of top guys simply knock off 5+ seconds. Are the results combined times or just the best of the two runs? I guess if is just best of, then you could just let lose on your second run.

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
I don't get how some of top guys simply knock off 5+ seconds. Are the results combined times or just the best of the two runs? I guess if is just best of, then you could just let lose on your second run.
It's a track that can reward some ballsy riding like launching off rock to clear a bunch of stuff, but i am still shocked Hill put 15+ seconds into most of the elite field....

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That's the track that shoulda had the World Champs IMO. Pity it'll be under 3' of snow in September.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I don't think he needs anymore power.

Now I'm convinced he was sandbagging at the last (Worlds Course) round.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Are they not just juicy levers....
they are, but juicy brakes are no longer being made so it's a bit odd that he's still using them in any form. especially after being one of the first guys on Elixers CR's for most of '08.

wonder if the bike he's on wasn't built up with some spare components he had in Oz while much of his usual equipment stayed in north america. Brendan's using them too.

Last edited:

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Anyone know what happened to Jared Rando? The start list didn't list any sponsors, but he has been on that proto Glory. Is he not riding for giant anymore?

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
That's the track that shoulda had the World Champs IMO. Pity it'll be under 3' of snow in September.
The track maybe (with an overhaul) but definitely not the venue.. The track finish is at the bottom of a small valley, it just wouldn't work... Buller is weird in that the village is not far from the summit and most of the lifts go down from of the sides to dead ends.

and 3' of snow? ha i wish.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
wonder if the bike he's on wasn't built up with some spare components he had in Oz while much of his usual equipment stayed in north america. Brendan's using them too.
Brilliant!

I wouldn't have thought of that, but yeah - that would make sense.

...it's SO weird to see Sam in anything other than Monster Green and black...

...the blue will take some getting used to.

(I'm a lyrical poet, in case you didn't know it)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The track maybe (with an overhaul) but definitely not the venue.. The track finish is at the bottom of a small valley, it just wouldn't work... Buller is weird in that the village is not far from the summit and most of the lifts go down from of the sides to dead ends.
Haha.. Yeah I've been to both Buller and Stromlo a few times. Buller is a damn rad track, but the venue can't support a race of that size.

Stromlo does have most of the requirements tho, just not the best track.

Daz

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
First, big props to Sam for winning in such dominate fashion...I guess the bike isn't an issue for him afterall(shocking)...Btw, do they spell "Specialized" differently in Oz?

Also, anybody know if Mick was still on his Goose or had he switched over to GT?
I have a friend is Sydney who follows it all and he said Mick was on a Mongoose Boot'R still. I haven't seen any pics yet though.

slobeone

Chimp
Dec 1, 2004
they are, but juicy brakes are no longer being made so it's a bit odd that he's still using them in any form. especially after being one of the first guys on Elixers CR's for most of '08.

A little birdie told me that those bikes were built in Socal by an elf with all new goodies. No leftovers just freshies. Both of the boys were in the USA late in '08 to ride and enjoy the girlies :brows:

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Do you have any pics of Sam or Brenden from the side,back or close up of there helmets(top)kit/jerserys or frame?Looking for a particular sponsor logo.

Eggzoi

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Australia
Forget Sam Hill, scroll down to the u17's and look at Troy's time. Would have put him 15th in Elite men, smallest kid I've ever seen. Pretty sure he's only just over the U15 limit. Absolute pinner.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
A little birdie told me that those bikes were built in Socal by an elf with all new goodies. No leftovers just freshies. Both of the boys were in the USA late in '08 to ride and enjoy the girlies :brows:
I have heard a similar story, and a little birdie has since told me why the boys are choosing to run juicys and not elixirs . . . but that's all i have to say about that.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Graves was DNS, does that mean he didn't go, or did something happen?

From Jarred's website, fair enough i say

I then travelled to Mount Buller for the next round of our national DH series, and did 9 runs of the track on Wednesday, and I was less than impressed on it, It is identical the the national champs track from 8 years ago, I loved the track back then, but now its so worn it has become a single line rut, loads of sniper rocks which I clipped a couple times out of nowhere, and found myself superman-ing over the bars!

By the end of the day when I was really pushing it, I was feeling fast on it, but the track was getting very sketchy. Especially when there is also bushes overhanging the track so you can't see what you are putting your wheels through!

A big thing I learnt during the 2007 season was that too much racing is not a good thing, it burns you out, gets you down, and performance suffers. To race your best you have to really want to race! The last thing I feel I needed to be doing at this time of year is a race I didnt want to be at, so I packed my stuff and drove home.