Quantcast

Help with specs of handlebars

Matt 891

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Salem, VA

The black ones. They are 2008ish syncros. Bulk 6061 I think?

I know they are 28 inches wide - haha

Reason I am asking is that I would like some new bars with about half as much rise. flat bars Im thinking would be a bit extreme. Around 30 inches wide - No wider cause of the tight wiggle room of East Coast trails.

Ive had my eye on the Funn FatBoys :think:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
There are about 50 bars that fit you requirements.

azonic
sunline
gravity
truvativ
synchros
spank
deity
chromag
funn
race face

just off the top of my head.............

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Flat bar on a bike with single crown may be crazy low. I use them only because I still have 07 888s. I'd go either atlas or protapers from the new hot stuff. The bars from good companies differ so little you can pick on the looks if the width and bends are all right. Just don't pick nuke proof and you should be fine.

Matt 891

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Salem, VA
There are about 50 bars that fit you requirements.

azonic
sunline
gravity
truvativ
synchros
spank
deity
chromag
funn
race face

just off the top of my head.............
Yea I can search around for the ones that fit the bill. But my question was about my current bars.

I was hoping that someone had these and/or knew the exact specs so I can match up what Im looking for from available candidates.

Thanks for the list - I will use this when the time comes :thumb:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Actually those look like Syncros Bulk Bars (1.5" rise is my guess). Did you try taking the bars off to see if they said their specs in the center of the bar? That or you could measure. Easiest way to know.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
...I was hoping that someone had these and/or knew the exact specs so I can match up what Im looking for from available candidates...

Mmmmm....you did not actually ask any question in your first post. If you has simply asked what bars you had, I would have answered this:

They are syncros bulk bars. They came in either 3/4" rise or 1 1/2" rise(google would have told you this). Yours would be the later... 1 1/2" rise.

Keep in mind that not all mfg measure rise in the same way, and varying upsweep will also effect where you hands end up. As mentioned, wider bars will put you in a lowe position as well. I would stay with a bit of rise on a bike with a short fork like this... 20mm or 1" or 30mm (ish) depending on the mfg.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Syncros Bulk 2014, they look the same as the ones I have

Syncros Bulk 2014 bars
Bar Width: 710mm
Bar Clamp Diameter: 31.8mm
Bar Rise: 4/5" (20mm)
Weight is close to 400g

When they first arrived I thought the rise must have been wrong because the bend looked pretty big to me! But like someone has said, it depends how the manufacturer measures them.

If you're looking for something different I'd go for the Answer ProTAPER (780DH or 720AM) which have the 8n4 angles (Syncros is 9n5), not sure on the rise though. If you're keen to stick with 9 and 5 angles then it narrows your field a bit as some other brands seem to vary the angles a bit (ie 8n5, 9n4 etc etc, I think mostly because Answers original 8n4 is patented, so 9n5 is probably the next best thing)

Anyway if you think yours are the 1.5" rise, here is what the 3/4 look like

Last edited:

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
I really can't tell from looking at the two pictures if my bars are the same rise as yours, they look pretty similar.

I've noticed you have a spacer above your stem to be as low as you can. I was going to say if your bars already are the supposed 20mm rise and you want to go lower, then check the stack height on the stem because I know the Syncros FR stem (which I have) has a 50mm stack height and I am assuming you're running a Syncros AM stem which might be the same (just about all other stems have a lower stack height than that).
So if that's the case then a new stem with a lower stack height and zero rise would give you a lower height with or without changing out your handlebar as well.

(yeah the Syncros stem isn't in the picture I posted it's a Gravity Gap stem which has a stack height of about 38mm...maybe 40)

Last edited:

skier318

Chimp
Jan 19, 2010
I was talking to a pro-rider at a show in Montreal, and we got to discussing handle bars. In his downhill setup, he has a set of bars with bends and sweeps that specifically fit his torso and arm. I was explaining to him that most custom setups consider that when the bike takes the hit and the body goes to absorb the impact, the rigid bends and geometry of the bar helps to put his arms, wrist, and hands in positions that maximize mechanical advantage, yet minimize his arms getting twisted into a position that may over stress joints and ligaments.

Then about a few months later, he sends me some lab analysis from their fall training camp. By making some more changes to his cockpit setup, he was able to gain time (nearly several seconds) on his combined runs.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Flat bar on a bike with single crown may be crazy low.
My single crown 07 66 is taller than my 2010 Boxxer. I dont understand your comment. Most single crowns are pretty tall, maybe not the one he runs though.

Last edited:

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
I think it depends more on chainstay length anyway. The shorter the stays the lower you can go, imo.
Got me stumped there as well..... I'm thinking DJ bikes have short chain stays and can take short travel forks, like 80mm etc, but then again DJ riders tend to like higher rise bars to counter that somewhat. So I'm guessing you might be referring to A-C height or fork travel rather than handlebar height? Or BB height?
Like Pauline Hanson would say "please explain"

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It is like a lever, right? Hands, feet and rear axle all have a relationship and you can fine tune your lever for the style of riding and the terrain you ride. Short chainstays with a short back end and a high bar will be very easy to lift up the front wheel and makes for a very maneuverable bike. Where as a low front end, low bb and long chainstay length will make it a bit harder to pick up the front and makes for a very stable bike. If you only manipulate one of these factors (bar height) you will start to find the limits of either extreme, ie. too stable or too maneuverable. If you have shorter chainstays for example then you can go lower with the bar height and bb but still be able to lift the front wheel. Head tube length also makes a big difference.

It's all related is what I am getting at and you have to take the whole system in to consideration to get the most performance out of your geometry. I like it super low in the bars and bb with a super slack head angle but very short chain stays so I can still hop over stuff if I need to. You give up some stability here and there in exchange for maneuverability and vice versa. That is a simplified explanation but it is close to how I think about geometry.

I think all the other factors are important and just saying it will be too low because it has a single crown fork is not correct in my mind. Does that make sense?

Currently, I am testing a 62° or 63° head angle, with 425mm chain stay length, 345mm bb height and the bars super low. Everything is set up to be stable except for the chain stay length.