Quantcast

Help From the RideMonkey Car Boffins (Wheel & Tire)

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Car is an '07 Subaru Impreza 2.5 (non WRX) Wagon. I have a slow leak on one of my tires. Multiple shops have said that it is coming from the tire bead area but no-one is able to fix it--bead seal hasn't worked... Tires only have ~15k on them but this particular one HAS been patched from an earlier puncture. I have a few questions...

Is this warranty-able? First guess is no because tire was damaged--nothing to do with tread life. Problem with warranty is that these tires have enough wear on them that if I need to replace one--I have to replace all 4 (thanks AWD). Sooo... I thought I was out four tires except it gets better... latest shop says that my problem is not the tire but the wheel.... It may have a ding in it (thanks Wife). That brings me to a decision.... apparently an OEM replacement wheel from Subaru is $600.00!!! :eek: Fvck that.

So I may need new wheels and tires.... Anyone have experience with places like Tire Rack? Does the savings just get erased by mounting and balancing charges when you take it to a shop?

Can any of the car guys figure out an OEM wheel size for me for this car (offset, backspacing, etc.)?

Any recommendations on good 205/55-16 tires?

Any recommendations for good places to get wheels?

Or.... is there a way I can fix my apparently bum wheel?

Thanks in advance.... :(

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You must replace all four tires if you replace one.

Most shops will match Tirerack pricing now, just bring in the website quote.

I am a huge fan of the Continental Extreme Contact DWS for all season tires. I have had them on my Forester, Impreza and Wifey's old Jetta. I will be getting them on Wifey's new Forester as soon as her OEM tires are worn.

If there is a wheel problem, go to www.nasioc.com and start perusing the classifieds. You should be able to find an OEM wheel for really cheap.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Subie wheels and tires are all over craigslist. Bet you could get a whole set for $500 with decent tires.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Thanks guys.

Craigslist was a pile of crap.

Got tire checked again this morning--it is fine; problem is wheel.

Joker--thanks for recommendation, def gonna try those out next.

DirtyMike--thanks for the quote--gave me a ballpark to have in mind when talking to some places; found a real good guy in the area says the fix will be no problem.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
There are a bunch of places that can fix alloy wheels. When I was on the west coast, there was a company called wheels america that fixed one of my wheels for $100.

Maybe try some stans?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
2nd on the wheel repair shop. There are a couple I have used when buying a replacement isn't really an option. Most places do repair and polishing, painting, etc.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
3rd or 4th on wheel repair place. try and find the place that the car dealers bring their wheels to. i know several people that have gone this route instead of paying the ludicrous amount that VW wanted for their rims.
hell, theres even mobile wheel repair companies that will come to you

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you do need a new tire, there are places that will "shave" your new tire to match your other 3.
If you can't find a reasonable wheel repair, cheap wheels are all over ebay.
You should be able to get anything for under $100. I paid $180 for a SET of Mercedes wheels.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
1) go to tirerack.com and enter your vehicle to find out stock wheel size, pattern, and offset.

Search craigslist for "5x100" or whatever it is. Determine from the seller what the offset is. Buy a used rim.

Take to shop, swap tire, $35.

I did that on my awful audi. Replacement, ultra hard to find model specific rim was $75 from a seller on-list. Swapping cost very little. The tire was fine once swapped.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Decided to splurge. :D

Mounted some of these

Conti DWS

to these

Enkei edr9

should look pretty nice on a black impreza wagon with limo tint...

figured i can get this wheel/tire fixed and use em as my winter set.

so much for trying to save money... :(

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Decided to splurge. :D

Mounted some of these

Conti DWS

to these

Enkei edr9

should look pretty nice on a black impreza wagon with limo tint...

figured i can get this wheel/tire fixed and use em as my winter set.

so much for trying to save money... :(
Kinda like this:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
There are a bunch of places that can fix alloy wheels. When I was on the west coast, there was a company called wheels america that fixed one of my wheels for $100.

Maybe try some stans?
Not something that will work on a car, for one it will destroy the balance.....

What the biggest issue is here isnt actually the ding, its the coating on the wheel. Subies and other german cars have this issue all the time, the caoting/chrome/paint whatever they out over the alloy lifts ever so slightly, alloying for a really bad layer of corrosion to build up underneath were the bead sits. I gets thick... and one day it comes all the way through and leaks air. You can get in there with a wire brush, a wire wheel ETC and clean it best as possible, but unfortunatly when it gets to this point its truly time to replate/recoat the wheel and start over.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Not something that will work on a car, for one it will destroy the balance.....

What the biggest issue is here isnt actually the ding, its the coating on the wheel. Subies and other german cars have this issue all the time, the caoting/chrome/paint whatever they out over the alloy lifts ever so slightly, alloying for a really bad layer of corrosion to build up underneath were the bead sits. I gets thick... and one day it comes all the way through and leaks air. You can get in there with a wire brush, a wire wheel ETC and clean it best as possible, but unfortunatly when it gets to this point its truly time to replate/recoat the wheel and start over.
Yeah... finding that out.... the stock wheels have a bunch of curb rash anyways so I figured this was as good a time as any to finally bite the bullet and get the new wheels I have been wanting. The guy local here worked on em today and got em nice and clean/smooth again. Seem to be holding air for now. :think: Looks alot like the one Joker posted but better cuz it has three thule sidearms and DH bikes on the roof. :D :thumb:

Thanks again for everyone's input.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Looks alot like the one Joker posted but better cuz it has three thule sidearms and DH bikes on the roof. :D :thumb:

Thanks again for everyone's input.
That's before I pulled the roof rails and went with blanks. I already had my hitch rack by then, so I didn't need the roof rails.