Quantcast

~~Hello Saturday~~

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Who could have predicted motorsport was expensive :p

(I wish I could find the clip from Rush where Hunt's backer goes bust after trying to move up a class and fund an F1 team)
I mean, I knew it going in and have planned accordingly the whole time. We have been right on the expected budget the whole time - the few places we went over were because I did something inefficiently or erroneously re: tools and such. For the most part, at expected levels though. It wasn't until I got rear-ended that problems arose. But she'll be on the track and hunting again next weekend, which is what matters.

The neighbor I think underestimated the costs. He's in a much more expensive category, but it's one of the natl classes for 13-17, so necessary to spend to be competitive. I'd guess they spend more in a weekend - all in - than we have spent on all of the races, CKT membership, track membership, etc combined. He's also trying to get up to that regional and national, not just state, competitive level. All in his first season, so he isn't even able to do it as his own mechanic.

If Haley decided she wanted to go up a class (vs. age bump; same motor) we wouldn't do it until the second full season. The next class up is way faster - 65-75mph for 8-12y/o racers. Hell, I'm kinda scared of a KA80 or Rotax motor. Those things are ungodly powerful.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Want to know how you can tell that the karting is getting expensive? I just saw the lawyer up the street, whose son is racing but in a way more expensive class, getting a full shop pit vs. self-pitting (like us), having the engine rebuilt every two days on track, burning through tires within 2 days, etc. out front. He was mowing with a brand new mower. He's had a lawn service as long as we've been here and they're like $75/wk. Now he's mowing the lawn. I don't even want to guess how much he's spending. :shocked:

@jebfour KA80, pitting and coaching with FDM. I just...

On a positive note though, he is someone that we can travel with for the Grand Junction races. So it saves us all a little bit because we can throw the kart and gear into the trailer.
LOL, yeah it ain’t cheap. Get into a shifter and watch your money liquify. There were a few reasons I quit racing karts, and expense was definitely one of them. If I was to do it again, it would have to be a spec class with strict rules.

I plan on doing another track day in my car and then reassess that as well. I absolutely LOVE it, but it ain’t cheap.

I may look at club racing in rental karts. We’ll see.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ahhhh... that takes me back. :D
i think it is worse when kid takes a explosive shit so big it works its way out of the back of their shirt and out the collar....onto car seat....

carters baby store bathrooms are not equipped for that kind of aisle 6 clean up...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Heading into the hills to reconnect singletrack that has been cut off by the superfund site expanding their boundaries. People be getting lost out there! The site managers have given me verbal permission to do the work. A 3rd party who has no say in the matter has been telling anyone who will listen that the site managers, who work for the owners, don't have authority to give me the green light. It sure was comical when I explained my concerns to the site managers about the 3rd party who is spreading lies. I've been assured I can cut what trails I want. Thank the lord. Lets see how 3rd party dick bag reacts to this.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Is that where it happened?! What trail?
very bottom. after the hip jump by the mid-station, right after you cross the gravel into the final section. literally the first little roller after the gravel. just lifted his front wheel and it turned on him and bam, otb, handlebar into stomach. crazy thing is, he broke his arm two years ago on the rocky left hand turn (now re-worked) about 25 yards down the trail.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Heading into the hills to reconnect singletrack that has been cut off by the superfund site expanding their boundaries. People be getting lost out there! The site managers have given me verbal permission to do the work. A 3rd party who has no say in the matter has been telling anyone who will listen that the site managers, who work for the owners, don't have authority to give me the green light. It sure was comical when I explained my concerns to the site managers about the 3rd party who is spreading lies. I've been assured I can cut what trails I want. Thank the lord. Lets see how 3rd party dick bag reacts to this.
What is the site contaminated with?

I forget who it was, but I too like reading about these places.

The absolute no shits given decisions and actions that happened decades ago is crazy to read about. And how much work and time it'll take to clean up/restore, if even possible.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
very bottom. after the hip jump by the mid-station, right after you cross the gravel into the final section. literally the first little roller after the gravel. just lifted his front wheel and it turned on him and bam, otb, handlebar into stomach. crazy thing is, he broke his arm two years ago on the rocky left hand turn (now re-worked) about 25 yards down the trail.
Man, that sucks. I guess we all know that something unexpected can happen at any time but when it’s your kid? Hard to handle I’m sure.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

The absolute no shits given decisions and actions that happened decades ago is crazy to read about. And how much work and time it'll take to clean up/restore, if even possible.
That would be me. Superfund sites usually have fascinating stories.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

Fissle material. Contaminated manufacturing infrastructure. Nuclear power waste.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Do you know what, exactly, is up the guys ass that wants you to scram? Territorial bullshit?
The guy has control issues and is likely on the spectrum. He's used lies and manipulation to influence local trail politics for decades. He hates mountain bikes for some reason.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Want to know how you can tell that the karting is getting expensive? I just saw the lawyer up the street, whose son is racing but in a way more expensive class, getting a full shop pit vs. self-pitting (like us), having the engine rebuilt every two days on track, burning through tires within 2 days, etc. out front. He was mowing with a brand new mower. He's had a lawn service as long as we've been here and they're like $75/wk. Now he's mowing the lawn. I don't even want to guess how much he's spending. :shocked:

@jebfour KA80, pitting and coaching with FDM. I just...

On a positive note though, he is someone that we can travel with for the Grand Junction races. So it saves us all a little bit because we can throw the kart and gear into the trailer.
Still cheaper than horses