Quantcast

Hassle free brakes?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ok so my venerable Shimano Saint M810s finally bit the dust recently. Ran them since early 2010, on 4 bikes, literally bled them 3 times in that period. They had their quirks, but overall were great brakes. Seeing they died in the middle of my trip to NZ, I grabbed a set of Code Rs to get me through. Not 100% satisfied with them though - pad life is too short for my tubby, brake dragging arse and as the pads wear the lever throw gets inconsistent.

My question is - what works these days? The new Saints have a thread on every forum describing bite point inconsistency, the Avids seem to do the same. Formula and Hope are too rare/expensive/hard to find parts for. Elixirs are a joke from my experience. Am I overlooking some kind of wonderous superbrake somewhere? Or should I just try the new M820s?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hope are easy to find parts if you are ordering from CRC. If the delivery costs to AUS isn't too bad it should be doable. Worse case scenario go gustavs ;)

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Yea, just stick with Shimano man.
The new Saints have by all accounts worked through the initial teething issues.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have new and old Saints, XO Trails and Formula RO and T1. I like the Formula T1 or RO the best simply due to less problems. If you ride hard and often enough all brakes suck.

gretch

Chimp
Feb 15, 2013
Nelson, B.C.
I have new and old Saints, XO Trails and Formula RO and T1. I like the Formula T1 or RO the best simply due to less problems. If you ride hard and often enough all brakes suck.
^^This... I've been through all the Avid, Hope, Shimano brakes and have settled on Formula R0 on the DH bike and T1s on the AM bike.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
As above, another vote for Formula.
They're just more consistent and more reliable than the other brands when pushed hard.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Just stick with Shimano if you want hassle free(as hassle free as mtn bike brakes can be). Anything with dot fluid naturally require more maintenance due to dot fluid's affinity for moisture.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
As mentioned by others, hassle free brakes don't exist. When I made my choice (Saint M820), I went for ease of serviceability and availability of parts. For me, Shimano ticked those boxes off the best.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I've completely gone off formula.
I have a set of R1 brakes on my AM bike, and the lever feel is awful - it's rock solid.

There's no modulation left in them, after numerous bleeds by myself, bleeds by a local bike shop (hey, could have been me that was at fault) and them greasing the pistons.

The levers on Formula brakes bend after every single stack I've had, causing some serious dents in my bank balance. They are expensive to run and a pain in the arse to maintain.

My previous set of The One brakes ended up doing exactly the same.

The XTR trail brakes I have on the DH bike however, have been flawless.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Got sick of pumping Saints with fluid every day of riding to keep the lever throw reasonable (by reasonable I mean not engaging at the grip), usually only lasted half a day at best. Watched a few people doing the same at Whistler and was pretty happy to be on a different brake.

About 3/4 of my mates with the new XT brakes have also suffered caliper piston leaks, often from new or after only a short period of time. I reckon Shimano have dropped the ball, and it's a bit of a shame because they're probably the only company that is really capable of making a good brake.

Formula is a bit all over the shop because they keep having new (and stupid) ideas. However having pulled a few of both brands apart, I think Formula is way better built and the quality reflects the price. They are definitely expensive, but I've run the same set for a few very hard seasons now and very rarely bleed them - and when I do the fluid is crystal clear unlike Avid/Shimano. They also happily run pads right down to the backing (I even take the springs out on chairlift seasons), whereas the lever throw becomes a disaster on most modern brakes even nearing that point these days. Having found a set I like I don't want to let them go.

I still own new XT brakes and mine have been fine, but I wouldn't have them on the DH bike after watching so many failures first hand (even very recently - i.e. they haven't fixed anything). I hope they sort it out.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Still liking my Magura Mt6 but if you are a bake dragger you will cook them and I like the lever to just touch the grip at full on and can't get anywhere near that with the Maguras.

Get a Trickstuff The Cleg, someone needs to be a test mule ;)

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Got sick of pumping Saints with fluid every day of riding to keep the lever throw reasonable (by reasonable I mean not engaging at the grip), usually only lasted half a day at best. Watched a few people doing the same at Whistler and was pretty happy to be on a different brake.

About 3/4 of my mates with the new XT brakes have also suffered caliper piston leaks, often from new or after only a short period of time. I reckon Shimano have dropped the ball, and it's a bit of a shame because they're probably the only company that is really capable of making a good brake.

Formula is a bit all over the shop because they keep having new (and stupid) ideas. However having pulled a few of both brands apart, I think Formula is way better built and the quality reflects the price. They are definitely expensive, but I've run the same set for a few very hard seasons now and very rarely bleed them - and when I do the fluid is crystal clear unlike Avid/Shimano. They also happily run pads right down to the backing (I even take the springs out on chairlift seasons), whereas the lever throw becomes a disaster on most modern brakes even nearing that point these days. Having found a set I like I don't want to let them go.

I still own new XT brakes and mine have been fine, but I wouldn't have them on the DH bike after watching so many failures first hand (even very recently - i.e. they haven't fixed anything). I hope they sort it out.

Ahh, brakes engaging fully by the grip is exactly how I like my brakes :D HATE it when they engage immediately.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ahh, brakes engaging fully by the grip is exactly how I like my brakes :D HATE it when they engage immediately.
The **** part is I have hobbit fingers. I need my brakes to start close to the bar and engage ASAP. I wish I could have the luxury of long throw but I really can't reach if my levers are too far from the bar. I the throw is too long for my reach they don't engage fully before they hit the bar.

Its a bit of a gong show but it makes me super sensitive of brake choice. A lot of riders can get away with long throw, but for a setup that works for me I can't. The only plus side is that most people that borrow my bike nearly die because the brake bite position is so much closer to the bar than they're used to :p

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011

+1 for Formula.

I had the original Ones and ran them into the ground. Awesome brakes but they evolved quickly. Ran for 4 big seasons of DH. Put RO's on and they are awesome. Zero hassles. Work, period.

Parts availability via CRC or dealer is great, local guy may have to order in. But parts are there. Was a bit of a problem maybe two years ago but they were changing over to new models.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Disappointing and surprising to hear the newer gen Shimano stuff having reliability issues. I have 810 Saints and the previous gen XT brakes and both have basically been flawless for years (finally had to bleed one of my Saints last season). I'd say they don't have quite the power the newer models do, but plenty for my needs (and this is coming from someone who drags brakes on anything steeper than a 2% grade).

Like udi said, hope they get it sorted.

Last edited:

beachbum

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
coastal nc
man, no Hayes fans out there? Hayes Primes seem to be pretty bullet proof and won't break the bank, last season, Hope, didn't bleed once and had no problems. Shimano on the trail bike the last two years, no problems at all. I have some "new take off Avids" i'd be glad to sell you

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Oh, I'm a huge Hayes fan. My Stroker Ace and Stroker Trails haven't screwed up once. But didn't feel like getting hate from everyone else.

But I'll say again, I love, Love, LOVE the feel of other people's Hope brakes. Just absurdly awesomely perfect.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I can also vouch for Hayes. I've had a set of Stroker Aces that have been working solidly for 5 seasons until their death at the end of last season. When I had any issues with parts (mostly my fault), Hayes' excellent customer service department would send out replacements without asking too many questions.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Another vote for shimano from me. My 810s were great, my 785s are still amazing, and my 775s were just OK but reliable.

I'm fat, a hack, and I rode DH for a year on my 785s. They are great brakes. I still haven't bled them yet. I suppose I should shorten the cables.