Quantcast

Hahaha... NOPE.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't get it? Don't they already have forkS designed around 27.5? A new 27.5 standard for their 27.5 standard? Inception man!

You know, instead of putting your people to work creating useless items, you (Fox and everyone else) could just lay off a few employees like the rest of the world does.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Big gazz tires sucked on 24 and 26 and they still suck everywhere else other than snow and sand.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I can't imagine why anybody wants a suspension fat bike. Surely they're only useful on snow/sand (i.e. soft surfaces) where you just aren't going to need suspension anyway.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can't imagine why anybody wants a suspension fat bike. Surely they're only useful on snow/sand (i.e. soft surfaces) where you just aren't going to need suspension anyway.
Same reason people build 500+ HP pickup trucks with no rear weight bias or a limited slip diff. Stupid people will spend money on stupid things that have cool specs.

How do you define useful? I have found the strange beast that is my fatbike to be goofy fun in all sorts of circumstances. This does not mean that I am going to chase crabon and fancy forks, and it has not made me hang up the Heckler, but it has improved my enjoyment coefficient while riding.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How do you define useful? I have found the strange beast that is my fatbike to be goofy fun in all sorts of circumstances. This does not mean that I am going to chase crabon and fancy forks, and it has not made me hang up the Heckler, but it has improved my enjoyment coefficient while riding.
So, are you riding your fatbike on normal trails, in non-wintery conditions?

So, are you riding your fatbike on normal trails, in non-wintery conditions?
Yes. Over the two years I have had the Moonlander, I seem to be putting about equal miles (~650) on it and the Heckler. Both have their strong points, and both are fun.

Edit: The limits I've hit with the fatbike have been suspension related - steep downhill on babyheads is on the verge of painful.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yes. Over the two years I have had the Moonlander, I seem to be putting about equal miles (~650) on it and the Heckler. Both have their strong points, and both are fun.

Edit: The limits I've hit with the fatbike have been suspension related - steep downhill on babyheads is on the verge of painful.
Right. I can't see myself wanting to ride one for reasons other than being able to ride on snow and the like, but to each their own.

Our fat bike trails get heavily pocked by elk and moose, and then re freeze. Suspension has been wonderful in those conditions...
I had not thought of that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Our fat bike trails get heavily pocked by elk and moose, and then re freeze. Suspension has been wonderful in those conditions...
Your doing it wrong. Harvest the moose and elk reindeer things for the poor to eat.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So they are bringing back double wides and 3.0 gazzoldies but they want you to pay extra? Why would I when can I just machine out a part of my boxxer crown.

So since we are going retro I'm waiting for revived xxyzx fork for 3000$.

Also 15x110 instead of 20x110 that already exists? Good job fox.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So they are bringing back double wides and 3.0 gazzoldies but they want you to pay extra? Why would I when can I just machine out a part of my boxxer crown.

So since we are going retro I'm waiting for revived xxyzx fork for 3000$.

Also 15x110 instead of 20x110 that already exists? Good job fox.
I love my fatbike for snow, but I don't really see the point in the summer, it's lethargic, wheels are like solid blocks of stone and gyroscopic motion limits it at high speed. I find my FS 29er has much better traction uphill in the summer and I can't figure out why these people on mtbr keep saying they are faster on their fatbike, unless they are fat-lady-on-scooter-pace normally anyway. Sooner or later, people are going to figure out again that fat tires and 27,26 and 29 "+" sizes are heavy and take way more energy than they are worth.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
man i hate Fox, burn!!

Once one gets accustomed to plus rating of 27 and 29, we will see new smaller and bigger standards. Plus ratings is a way to soften reaction of consumers before introducing something new non plus rating.

Cmon, release super ultra deluxe version already.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
man i hate Fox, burn!!

Once one gets accustomed to plus rating of 27 and 29, we will see new smaller and bigger standards. Plus ratings is a way to soften reaction of consumers before introducing something new non plus rating.

Cmon, release super ultra deluxe version already.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I love my fatbike for snow, but I don't really see the point in the summer, it's lethargic, wheels are like solid blocks of stone and gyroscopic motion limits it at high speed. I find my FS 29er has much better traction uphill in the summer and I can't figure out why these people on mtbr keep saying they are faster on their fatbike, unless they are fat-lady-on-scooter-pace normally anyway. Sooner or later, people are going to figure out again that fat tires and 27,26 and 29 "+" sizes are heavy and take way more energy than they are worth.
That's the point. Most people don't ride them in snow or deep sand. Most of them ride them on hard ground. It's like a ton of people bought condoms only to wank in them. Though I don't know, maybe a lot of them do.

btw. I've seen one guy who works for a large bike company claim the new standard is so you get better ride comfort when you ride your fatbike on hard terrain so I may be onto something.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Its the only way that they can make a 27.5 work as good as a 29er so all the cool kids will still ride this fad.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That's the point. Most people don't ride them in snow or deep sand. Most of them ride them on hard ground. It's like a ton of people bought condoms only to wank in them. Though I don't know, maybe a lot of them do.

btw. I've seen one guy who works for a large bike company claim the new standard is so you get better ride comfort when you ride your fatbike on hard terrain so I may be onto something.
I think a lot of people buy fat bikes just to wank on them...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
To be more serious when I talk to people in the industry I sense the new idea to make money is to create new niches and standards without thinking about the customer and then force marketing to think after that. I really wish we were 4 years ago when changes were incremental (a bit weight loss, a bit better geo) but made for a better ride. Now even if someone comes up with a good idea for a new standard it will be drowned in a see of piss, and the only ones that will come on top are the ones that receive a strong enough marketing push.

Now it makes no sense to buy a new complete bike because at least part of it will be obsolete even before you buy it.

Also it kills most local bike shops since they can't stock the bazzilion standards the industry is comming up with. Even if some of them are unpopular if a guy comes to replace his 32 1/3mm bars or 132.1223mm hub and he won't find it there he may decide to order it online. The few shops which decide to stock one of every standard will have no choice inside those standard so again lost sales (because that kid wanted blue, not green bars).

Seriously I work in the industry that gave you 50 shades of grey the movie as a marketing guy and even for me it's stupid

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I spent 5 years working in the bike world after the dot com bubble burst before I went back to my regular industry. I saw a large swath of the environment - working as a shop sales guy/wrench, inside sales rep for a large bike manufacturer, and GM of an online bike retailer. This is going to sound harsh, but the reality is most of the people I came across didn't know what the f**k they were doing from a business perspective and were often grossly unprofessional to boot. I think many of the cases you see of manufacturers ignoring standards are seat of the pants decisions. Fox may or may not fall into this category, but I definitely saw a lot of it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I spent 5 years working in the bike world after the dot com bubble burst before I went back to my regular industry. I saw a large swath of the environment - working as a shop sales guy/wrench, inside sales rep for a large bike manufacturer, and GM of an online bike retailer. This is going to sound harsh, but the reality is most of the people I came across didn't know what the f**k they were doing from a business perspective and were often grossly unprofessional to boot. I think many of the cases you see of manufacturers ignoring standards are seat of the pants decisions. Fox may or may not fall into this category, but I definitely saw a lot of it.
From my experience that's a problem with any industry. It's hard to find competent people. It's just more visible in some than others