Quantcast

Hadley hub maintenance questions

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
What lube, grease or oil, do you use on the pawls? Mine started making the pinging noise, so it's time to rebuild it. Luckily, it only takes half an hour.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The thin oil they want you to use always just seemed to leak out on mine. I used slick honey.

Probably 5-6 hadley hubs over the last 10 years. Only problem I ever had was a broken pawl spring and it wasn't the grease that did that because it was a fairly new hub I'd never torn into.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'd just run a continuous drip, from my camelback. That's what you're supposed to do right?

Mine just kept going dry regardless of how much or little I'd put in there. Anyway.....the honey did it. I'd just pop 'em open once or twice a year and clean them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mine just kept going dry regardless of how much or little I'd put in there. Anyway.....the honey did it. I'd just pop 'em open once or twice a year and clean them.
weird, never had that problem on mine. might be a regional climate thing? good to know slick honey works in a pinch if i ever run out of the hadley lube.

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
Ive used Phils. Mostly because I hate loud hubs. Havent had any issues with it performance wise.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
just an FYI - hadley uses a special 00 blend made by super lube. they used to give out free 2 oz bottles but went to a smaller portion a few years ago. just check their website for all the info.

or if you want the same stuff grab some super lube grease and a bottle of synthetic oil and mix until your heart's content.

i went this route since the super lube grease and oil are awesome for all the other parts of your bicycle and other lube worthy possessions.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
just an FYI - hadley uses a special 00 blend made by super lube. they used to give out free 2 oz bottles but went to a smaller portion a few years ago. just check their website for all the info.

or if you want the same stuff grab some super lube grease and a bottle of synthetic oil and mix until your heart's content.

i went this route since the super lube grease and oil are awesome for all the other parts of your bicycle and other lube worthy possessions.

i went a similar route and used the teflon oil they sent me and a bit of slick honey and mixed those together. been good so far

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
If anyone needs bearings, i hVe some new ceramics, and dont have hadley hub any longer... Mad cheap yo

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I grease my axles/bearings/needle bearing with slick honey. i use some redline 80w synthetic diff oil on the pawls. never had an issue.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'd like to give 2 thumbs up to Hadley. On Saturday at the shop, I took the hub apart in 15 seconds and found that one of the pawls had broken in half. I called them @9am eastern time just to leave a message so I can figure out what to do next. At about 11am I got a call but was too busy to answer the phone. Suzanne from Hadley returned my call at 8am Pacific time ON A SATURDAY to give me her email and let me know what I needed to do. She told me that 4 new pawls, seals and a spring will be sent to me, to just email my model # and address...

Why the fuck can't Maxxis and other companies learn from Hadley? Maxxis took 100 days, 8 emails, a call to the Better business Bureau and some phone calls. After all that, Maxxis still has no answers, but they said to the BBB that they shipped "a one time only, courtesy" tire to me. AFTER 100 F'ING DAYS? Maxxis blows.

Ps, did anyone here know that CST owns Maxxis?

Back on topic...

Hadley kicks ass!

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Panasonic was originally called Matsushita Corporation. Back in the 70s they created the Panasonic brand to avoid the japanese aversion in the western countries.
you got that a bit wrong.
Matsushita was always the parent corporation name until recently and was really never used as a brand name outside of japan. they used "National" for a long period of time but have always been called "Panasonic" (with the brand officially being recognized in the 50's.) they couldnt use the name National in the states when they entered our market because of trademark infringement.
they didnt make "Panasonic" up just for the american market

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
you got that a bit wrong.
Matsushita was always the parent corporation name until recently and was really never used as a brand name outside of japan. they used "National" for a long period of time but have always been called "Panasonic" (with the brand officially being recognized in the 50's.) they couldnt use the name National in the states when they entered our market because of trademark infringement.
they didnt make "Panasonic" up just for the american market

I stand corrected. That's what happens when you build an argument on dubious facts and memories instead of researchin properly. Thanks for steering me (and the thread) back on track! /offtopic

Last edited: