Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yep, the Pedalhead uses a standard 73mm threaded BB and direct mount crank setup. RaceFace Cinch cranks just use the chainring flipped around so it is dished out vs dished in. Sram cranks use the 0mm offset direct mount ring. We need to verify some other additional configurations. That puts the chainline at 55mm, which is 6mm wider than a regular 1x setup with a 142mm rear axle...

...Which brings me to the rear hub. The chainline is 6mm outboard of a traditional 1x, so the cassette had to go out 6mm as well. To do that, we decided to use a 148mm hub offset 3mm to the drive side.

Customized geo is available per usual, what were you thinking?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
With a regular Spider, it should work to put the chainring on the outside of the mount tabs vs inside. It hasn't been physically verified yet, though.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
This was from today, where we decided to take a Pedalhead to the local DH shuttle spot:

Last edited:

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Yep, the Pedalhead uses a standard 73mm threaded BB and direct mount crank setup. RaceFace Cinch cranks just use the chainring flipped around so it is dished out vs dished in. Sram cranks use the 0mm offset direct mount ring. We need to verify some other additional configurations. That puts the chainline at 55mm, which is 6mm wider than a regular 1x setup with a 142mm rear axle...

...Which brings me to the rear hub. The chainline is 6mm outboard of a traditional 1x, so the cassette had to go out 6mm as well. To do that, we decided to use a 148mm hub offset 3mm to the drive side.

Customized geo is available per usual, what were you thinking?
So it sounds like 148/73 with an offset 'ring has a 3mm worse chainline than 142/73 and the Pedalhead's 3mm hub offset corrects it, from what I understand. Was the chainring and subsequently hub spacing necessary for the short chainstays? My custom geo preferences would be a 500mm reach and seat-tube length from the large and 64* head-angle. Perhaps a longer chainstay, if it could be done for 142, without the hub offset.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
So it sounds like 148/73 with an offset 'ring has a 3mm worse chainline than 142/73 and the Pedalhead's 3mm hub offset corrects it, from what I understand. Was the chainring and subsequently hub spacing necessary for the short chainstays? My custom geo preferences would be a 500mm reach and seat-tube length from the large and 64* head-angle. Perhaps a longer chainstay, if it could be done for 142, without the hub offset.
Yes, that is correct with regards to chainline. A standard 1x setup with a 142mm rear hub is optimized for a 49mm chainline; we're using 55mm on the Pedalhead. The 148 hub moves the cassette outboard 3mm vs 142, and then offsetting the hub moves it the other 3mm. That chainline was necessary because the front of the tire is actually in front of the back of the chainring, in other words, the chainring is literally next to the tire for section. A 49mm chainline put the 'ring too close to the tire, so outwards it went.

For the geo, that's pretty close to an XL with a seat tube from a Large and a slacker HTA. That's definitely doable.

Give me a call at the shop this week, and we can talk about the rear end. 303-955-4163

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Yes, that is correct with regards to chainline.

For the geo, that's pretty close to an XL with a seat tube from a Large and a slacker HTA. That's definitely doable.

Give me a call at the shop this week, and we can talk about the rear end. 303-955-4163
Sounds like 148 + 3mm offset makes the most sense. I'm all for playful chainstay lengths and mega-strong wheels, which you get with the offset and wider hub. I'll holler 'cross the mountaintops this week, thanks!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
GG goes full derp with an adventure bike! ahem: 29er hardtail.

What they're not telling us is that you can just run 26" wheels in there and have a @kidwoo -approved BB height.

Remember when + size was called: clearance for 3" tires?

Before anyone else: Looks flexy.

and congrats on the new bike! :P

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The MRP Stage is badass on the hardtail. The chassis is stiff, and Ramp Control is even more useful when you have 120mm of travel. For example, when we took it down the DH shuttle trail, we maxed out the Ramp Control.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Lot less snow at that Apex intersection yesterday, but lots of mud around there too.

Interested to know where the DH shuttle spot is though, being new to the area and trying to work out my riding options...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
GG is hiring; I just don't have the time to keep the Learjet fueled up all the time and need some help....oh wait. Actually, we're looking for a Rider Support Manager to do sales, customer service, and help make fun of me, among other duties.

http://ridegg.com/jobs

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
:rofl: :rofl:

I've run both air and coil versions of the CCDB on mine. Overall I like the air better, but I had to stuff it full of volume spacers as I could before I got there. The coil was definitely better in fast, small choppy shit (e.g. fast rooty sections) but it could have used some more progression deeper in the travel. I think an older fat shaft RC4 could work really well on there too.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
:rofl: :rofl:

I've run both air and coil versions of the CCDB on mine. Overall I like the air better, but I had to stuff it full of volume spacers as I could before I got there. The coil was definitely better in fast, small choppy shit (e.g. fast rooty sections) but it could have used some more progression deeper in the travel. I think an older fat shaft RC4 could work really well on there too.
Takes an 8.5"? I think I have an older 8.5" RC4 if you want it. Could use a rebuild/proper bleed from someone with better tools. The sealhead is seized to the body, so the body unthreads from the bridge. I don't want to fuck with it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The Float X2 feels really nice, probably the best air shock I've felt. I think it'd mate well with the Megatrail which has a smooth progressive curve.

One thing in particular it does exceptionally is direction changes, very smooth and low in friction when switching from compression to rebound.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
In other news, we are headed to Sedona tomorrow morning in Crush Bus 2.0 with a fleet of demo bikes. Whoever else is down there, find our booth, demo a sweet bike (we built up a couple sweet fresh demo bikes), make fun of the dorky engineer, and we are covering the official entertaining of the festival again this year.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
The Float X2 feels really nice, probably the best air shock I've felt. I think it'd mate well with the Megatrail which has a smooth progressive curve.

One thing in particular it does exceptionally is direction changes, very smooth and low in friction when switching from compression to rebound.
I just hate how Fox went with a one piece air piston/damper sealhead (like on the Vivid Air), so to do an air sleeve rebuild you have to open the damper. :thumbsdown:

People are going to be surprised when they get charged for full rebuilds every time they have air spring issues.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just hate how Fox went with a one piece air piston/damper sealhead (like on the Vivid Air), so to do an air sleeve rebuild you have to open the damper. :thumbsdown:

People are going to be surprised when they get charged for full rebuilds every time they have air spring issues.
Oh, that does suck.

I do all my own suspension work, so at least that's not as big a problem for me expense wise, but it's still a pain in the ass.