Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Could we sell carbon fiber ‘vibration damping’ weights, you know, because carbon fiber is lighter, and dampens more vibrations?
Makes perfect sense to me.
”The most technologically advanced heavy thing ever applied to the demanding needs and requirements of bicycle physics. They make your teeth whiter!”

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Although today I did fuck up and bring the wrong skins and the snow-bridges were sketch as fuck for me crossing the creek to my secret stash. A few good turns were still made in pow. Slabby and avalanchy up high though.

1702181484784.png

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
@SylentK

You're up!

good timing

my partner just asked me what I wanted for christmas

Holy fuuk. Well, if they would have given me moar time....maybe. Definitely. I just don't want to drive an hour to Denver....but virtual....haha :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This is what actual automated fiber placement looks like.

And this is actual automated fiber cutting.

Edit: I am shocked they were cutting material by hand. Unless you have slave labor the ROI on a CNC trimmer would be significant and with optimized nesting software would produce significantly less waste.

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I thought revved used long narrow strands and wrapped them all over the inner section of mold before its placed inside the outer molds and then injected with the thermoform plastic. I swear thats what I saw in a marketing video either directly on their channel or by pink bike. Might have been the same video they went full force Thor on it with a full sized sledge and barely chipped the powercoat.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I thought revved used long narrow strands and wrapped them all over the inner section of mold before its placed inside the outer molds and then injected with the thermoform plastic. I swear thats what I saw in a marketing video either directly on their channel or by pink bike. Might have been the same video they went full force Thor on it with a full sized sledge and barely chipped the powercoat.
This wouldn't work for bikes. The distribution of thermoset and fiber would be a mess. This is why they use tapes, the single layer of tape can be made to have a consistent and even distribution of thermoset and fiber.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
This is what actual automated fiber placement looks like.

Yep that's what I expected when they said automated. Using a projector and calling that automation is a stretch, marketing wank at best. It didn't reduce human labour, it would help in accuracy no question about that, but just like using a jig of any type it's not automation.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
This wouldn't work for bikes. The distribution of thermoset and fiber would be a mess. This is why they use tapes, the single layer of tape can be made to have a consistent and even distribution of thermoset and fiber.
But revved carbon uses thermoplastic for the resin, not thermoset. I guess it could be injected into the tape first like pre-preg, but the tape would need to be heated up to be too hot for people to handle for it to lay into the forms.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
But revved carbon uses thermoplastic for the resin, not thermoset. I guess it could be injected into the tape first like pre-preg, but the tape would need to be heated up to be too hot for people to handle for it to lay into the forms.
This was my understanding as well. I would also maintain the "GG process" is still less labor intensive than the usual way thermoset frames are made.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Thermoset. Thermoplastic. Carbon. I've studied it, cuz school, and that was a while ago. But really. Aluminum, steel, ti. All the metals. For bikes I like to ride anyways IMO

The tech is cool, tho. But for bikes? Hmm....The ex-Chief Enginerd over there (mtg) is no idiot. Maybe a master mind, ahead of his time. :)

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Why is that? It's filament wound construction. It has/is used successfully for rims and cranks, don't see why it wouldn't work for a frame that is designed for it.

The fiber is a continuous strand which is fed from a computer controlled robotic arm/loom and wrapped over a (usually EPS) preform. It is then placed in a metal mold and heated/injected with the resin. Resin distribution is very consistent. The inner foam piece can be cutaway as needed, or just left in place as it is very light.

Super repeatable and actually automated.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Did y’all know that the Time bicycle factory is moving from “France”(Tunisia) to Upstate South Carolina ?

The RTM method is so complicated BMW and Clemson University are splitting a bunch of grant money to try to figure out if people who speak ‘murican can even pull it off.
Color me skeptical.