Quantcast

GT DH prototype?!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
yeah, word is its close to release but i think they're waiting on reliability test for the Shimano Nexus Sport hub.

Its built like the Nucleon as far as tranny/swingarm arragement, but does have the official moniker 'g-box'

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Yeah, it looks like a better placement of the chain in comparision to the nucleon... that is one less thing to worry about: getting grease on the disc :dead:

Hmm... just reminds me of my old roommates commute bike. Its an old avalanche. The front triangle looks almost exactly like it. Here is a picture of an avalanche.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Weel seeing as gt had their gear box bike out LONG before nicolai or any of those guys, no. It is a new verson of the GT gearbox bike from a few years ago around a nexus hub.

It will be available for purchase next summer I am believe.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Transcend said:
Weel seeing as gt had their gear box bike out LONG before nicolai or any of those guys, no. It is a new verson of the GT gearbox bike from a few years ago around a nexus hub.

It will be available for purchase next summer I am believe.
yeah, guess it was way before its time, everything about it is completly original. I really dig the linkage arangement, a very creative solution.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cali4niabiker said:
Doesn't the wheelbase look real long? Maybe its just the angle of the picture....
doesn't look that bad to me. i think the elevated downtube throws off perception of the length of the front triangle

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
That triangular lower link is pretty sweet looking.

I thought that Nexus hubs would slip from agressive, mountain bike style pedaling torque?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
scofflaw23 said:
That triangular lower link is pretty sweet looking.

I thought that Nexus hubs would slip from agressive, mountain bike style pedaling torque?
Shimano made a new stronger one, called the Nexus Sport i believe. Plus having a mid-mounted tranny allows you to screw with the gearing/torque between the primary and secondary drive, as well get rid of rear hub abuses.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
zedro said:
yeah, word is its close to release but i think they're waiting on reliability test for the Shimano Nexus Sport hub.

Its built like the Nucleon as far as tranny/swingarm arragement, but does have the official moniker 'g-box'
Aren't their 2 standards? (oxymoron I know) G-boxx by nicolai and dw, and g-box by GT?

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
i like that frame alot, but the wheelbase looks abit long? odd, considering they normaly have a short or medium wheelbase on their bikes

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
jet said:
I see an FSR patent infringement....
no you dont. Its a single pivot with linkage....think of a Kona 4 bar but upside-down. The bottom linkage simply activates the shock, the top axle mounted linkage is bolted directly to the frame.

And GT isnt that stupid...

BTW...the G-Boxx is an actual standard (well, will be), the G-Box is just a name.

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Cant wait to see where this one will crack in the long standing Gt tradition.
Looks like they had a few tubes and stuff left over and built the stem to look like the back end.

The good thing about owning this bike is that ALL the kids will ask "hey mister how much was your bike?"

Edvard

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Europe
I've seen it and I've been staring at that system for like a half an hour but really this thing is still in its premium fase: it creaks like hell, there are way too many bolts and the gears just wouldn't work, I didn't like it and I still don't. Got some more pics for you:

www3.mtb-news.de/fotos/data/505/9838DSCN2355-med.JPG

www3.mtb-news.de/fotos/data/505/9838DSCN2356-med.JPG

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Is that a plastic shimano ring?
Look damn good otherwise, I wonder how it'll fare for longevity though. And someone was right about it being very RTS-like... funny how things go in full circles, isn't it!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The chainstay and drop do look like horst, not sure what the patent protects. Maybe it's not for US consumption? When does the fsr patent expire anyway?

I don't see any more greasy brake potential than any other bike, it's just that the chain and brake are on opposite sides than normal.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Rik said:
Is that a plastic shimano ring?
Look damn good otherwise, I wonder how it'll fare for longevity though. And someone was right about it being very RTS-like... funny how things go in full circles, isn't it!
I loved my old RTS! :) Seriously.

For 1.8" of travel it was a good rig. The biggest thing that held it back was the damn high-pivot with the std drivetrain. The pedal feed back was terrible....but with a gear box mounted up high that isn't an issue.....

as far as things coming full circle....that is as much an RTS as the v-10 and IH Sunday is a Outland VPP :D

Viva la RTS!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
OGRipper said:
The chainstay and drop do look like horst, not sure what the patent protects. Maybe it's not for US consumption? When does the fsr patent expire anyway?
man, you guys are absolutely awful at distinguishing linkages. Its actually a single pivot; the lower linkages activate the shock.

at least no one accused it of being a DW-Link ripoff this time :rolleyes:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
zedro said:
man, you guys are absolutely awful at distinguishing linkages. Its actually a single pivot; the lower linkages activate the shock.

:rolleyes:

haha, lol

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
zedro said:

at least no one accused it of being a DW-Link ripoff this time :rolleyes:

Glad to provide fodder for another of your elitist proclamations. :rolleyes:

I never said anything about the overall design (single pivot, four bar, vpp, etc.), all I said was that the chainstay-drop pivot looks like a horst and that I'm not sure what the patent protects. Get off your high horse already.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
It's a DW ripoff!!! Just kidding, but it looks a little too complicated when all you get is a single pivot ride..... I prefer real single pivot designs where you don't have the downside of a single-pivot (ride quality) and the downside of link bikes (complicated, lots of bearings).

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
OGRipper said:
Glad to provide fodder for another of your elitist proclamations. :rolleyes:

I never said anything about the overall design (single pivot, four bar, vpp, etc.), all I said was that the chainstay-drop pivot looks like a horst and that I'm not sure what the patent protects. Get off your high horse already.
its not elitist to have a clue on what you are talking about; throwing around random 'observations' about designs you dont understand is another thing...especially when it's already been commented on a few times during the thread. Bah but who cares about truth tho, lets just ramble....

Horst represents an overall design btw, not a random little pivot near an axle. Noob.