Quantcast

GT DH prototype?!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
zane said:
It's a DW ripoff!!! Just kidding, but it looks a little too complicated when all you get is a single pivot ride..... I prefer real single pivot designs where you don't have the downside of a single-pivot (ride quality) and the downside of link bikes (complicated, lots of bearings).
i like it alot. High single pivot design, should have a really nice shock rate, and the whole thing should be really stiff. Its not any more complicated than say an Azonic Eliminator, the suspension is simply turned upside down.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Yeah, it seems like the small link would give a slight rising rate for the first 30%ish of the travel but have a falling rate for the rest, but the chainstay link would be slightly rising rate (nothing too spectacular).... so the overall rate would be pretty linear, and rely more on the shock progressiveness.... a-la the fox DHX they're using.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
zane said:
Yeah, it seems like the small link would give a slight rising rate for the first 30%ish of the travel but have a falling rate for the rest, but the chainstay link would be slightly rising rate (nothing too spectacular).... so the overall rate would be pretty linear, and rely more on the shock progressiveness.... a-la the fox DHX they're using.
naw, pretty sure you'll get a full rising rate out of that...think i tried some models awhile back too. That arangement is similar to what PDC uses and you can get some pretty crazy rises from such a configuration. The angle between the shock and the link isnt very telling for such designs.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Yeah, but you'd have to take both rates into account.... the rate from the swingarm/CS link would rise (I don't know how much, I haven't modeled it) but it would cancel out the falling rate of the small link. Unless you get massive rising rate out of the CS link (how high of rates did you get from your model?), I don't think you could get large rises in overall rate.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Zedro you're a little defensive about being called elitist, you must get that a lot. Being called a noob by you means nothing to me but I hope you feel better.

I said I wasn't sure what the patent covers, and instead of saying "it's the entire design, not just that one junction" or something helpful like that, you bury that little nugget of info in an insulting post.

You've got lots of knowledge and I freely admit that I've learned some things from you, no question about that. But your delivery really sucks lately.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
zane said:
Yeah, but you'd have to take both rates into account.... the rate from the swingarm/CS link would rise (I don't know how much, I haven't modeled it) but it would cancel out the falling rate of the small link. Unless you get massive rising rate out of the CS link (how high of rates did you get from your model?), I don't think you could get large rises in overall rate.
the falling rates produced via the shock link and shock can be fairly light being mearly sine relationships and may not difficult to compensate for at all since the relationships between the other links become exponential in nature. Besides its hard to tell what the final angles are anyways.

i think i did a quicky mockup, dont recall numbers just the result that you could get very good rates

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Dat's ok, i figured something was up, hope you get better. Maybe you should take your homemade bike for a ride or something...isn't that an fsr too? Heh. :dancing:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Curb Hucker said:
is there a huge snowstorm, or is zedro just a wuss ;)
i can wrap myself around a tree and i'll take it like a man, but as soon as i get a fever and some sniffles i turn into the biggest wussy-boy.

now wheres that dog with the mini-keg of booze?...

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I think I read somewhere that they had to scrap it or at least "redesign" it becuase of the super long tt and wheelbase? Not completely sure, but i think i saw it in a MBfiction.. figures

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
bradical said:
I think I read somewhere that they had to scrap it or at least "redesign" it becuase of the super long tt and wheelbase? Not completely sure, but i think i saw it in a MBfiction.. figures
Fact: The bike that was shown at the last interbike needed a lot more work. On that note, thats all I will comment.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It looks like they tried to isolate the BB.

Wouldn't that make it a modified I-Drive? My new GT XC bike is sort of like it...but no gearbox.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I thought there was a BB-centric linkage, but after staring at it for 15min I realised the black linkage is just scalloped away to clear the shell.

yeehaarider

Monkey
Dec 26, 2004
Saugus, CA, 91390
all i have to say is, thank god GT actually beefed up the rear triangle, it doesnt look like it will ever crack like mine did with the GT DH-i, common problem with everyone else too