Quantcast

Good movies to watch with your kids?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So we have a big fat movie thread, and a little monkeys thread. I'm hoping we could start a new thread mashing the two up!

I'm looking for good movies to watch with my 11 y.o. son. We've watched plenty of fantasy/action movies (e.g. the Star Wars series and all the MCU stuff). But I'm bored of those, and would really like to introduce him to the world of good movies. Movies that are expertly crafted, but also take on subjects that aren't easy. Not necessarily full-fledged documentaries (I don't want to bore him to tears), but movies that would expose him to difficult topics and lead to discussions down the road, but would still be entertaining to watch.

I was scrolling through my google TV thing the other day and came across Lord of War. I can't quite remember how graphic or rude that particular film was, but that's sort of what I'm thinking of. It delves into the corruption, global inequality, lack of morals. As entertaining as the MCU stuff is, it sort of infantilizes and glorifies violence. I feel it also absolves people of facing up to the role they play in the suffering of others.

Doesn't have to be about negative things either. Can be feel good movies too!

All that said, post up here for any suggestions of good movies to watch with growing children who are beginning to discover the world...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
October Sky is a good one, if they are into that sort of thing. Its not the most thrilling movie so may require some patience.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
where the red fern grows....original.

pink panther movies

its a mad mad mad mad mad world

gumball rally....original

bad news bears....original

smokey and the bandit....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Any of the Studio Ghibli films. They were all just put on Netflix. Favs for that age group might be: Spirited Away, Nausica And The Valley of the Wind, From Up on Poppy Hill.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
James Bond films are not too serious and somewhat humorous. The early ones are quite funny imo.

Thought some more. The Band of Brothers pretty awesome. A little gory in a couple spots but overall decent.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Any of the Studio Ghibli films. They were all just put on Netflix. Favs for that age group might be: Spirited Away, Nausica And The Valley of the Wind, From Up on Poppy Hill.
our 11yo really liked spirited away...and we liked the others (totoro, kiki's delivery, etc. when they were younger). he liked ferris bueller last year...LOTR could be good.

lemme think some more...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Don't recall LOW having anything too bad in it. Been a while since I watched it though.

Original Ghostbusters 1,2

I don't think there's anything too bad in the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns for an 11yr old.
Good, bad and ugly
Fistful
Few dollars more

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What’s your take on the old epics from the 60s? Things like:
Ben Hur
Dr. Zhivago

wore out those vhs as kids.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My kids like the new Dune a lot. Elder kid read the novel, too.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Is 11 too young for Monty Python?

I’d throw most Mel Brooks movies in there too, he won’t understand the jokes an 11 year old shouldn’t hear so it’s all good. Blazing Saddles may have to wait though
Ours was about 11 the first time she saw Holy Grail. We did skip over Castle Anthrax.

I would definitely give Blazing Saddles a skip until they are old enough to have a awareness/conversation on race.

Back to the Future, all of them.
Indiana Jones, all 3.

Star Wars, obviously.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm starting to see why a lot of us are the way we are.

i remember catching part of cat's eye. the part of the movie with the wall troll that would steal people's breath. that gave me nightmares for years.

toxic avenger i liked.