Quantcast

Good movies to watch with your kids?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i remember seeing some sort of B movie, and at the end the zomebies, or whatever they were, were in a jail or something and were standing in a small amount of water, then the good guys electrocuted them for what seemed to be an inordinate amount of time. anybody got anything on this one?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i remember seeing some sort of B movie, and at the end the zomebies, or whatever they were, were in a jail or something and were standing in a small amount of water, then the good guys electrocuted them for what seemed to be an inordinate amount of time. anybody got anything on this one?

google fu is strong today, return of the living dead part II

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Man, Steven Speilberg fucked me up.
Call me a delicate flower or whatever, but I was 13 when Jurassic Park came out and saw it in theatres.

The realism of it way back then and as a kid, was something new. Was definitely freaked out for a while, about having to turn off the lights in the basement and make it up the stairs before the raptors got me... :panic:

And again Mr Jeff almost being eaten.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Call me a delicate flower or whatever, but I was 13 when Jurassic Park came out and saw it in theatres.

The realism of it way back then and as a kid, was something new. Was definitely freaked out for a while, about having to turn off the lights in the basement and make it up the stairs before the raptors got me... :panic:

And again Mr Jeff almost being eaten.
by the time that movie came out (I was 9) I had already seen enough fucked up shit that movie didn't faze me. (edit - i seem to recall reading the book prior to seeing the movie)

my dad took me to see die hard with a vengenance in the theater when it came out. i was 11.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I feel like I was badly parented when I was a kid.

I saw Canibal Ferox at the drive-in when I was around 9 or 10... Needless to say many nightmares ensued.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What has this turned into? The movies I should not have watched as a kid that I am now recommending to others?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
someone mentioned the Indiana Jones series... started watching them with my kids last year. They would have been 7 and 10. I think it's in The Temple of Doom where they perform human sacrifice and rip some dude's heart out while he's still alive. Both kids freaked the fuck out. I paid for that one with many sleepless nights.

That's why I was hoping for recommendations that are less violent, or where the violence has actual consequences...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
someone mentioned the Indiana Jones series... started watching them with my kids last year. They would have been 7 and 10. I think it's in The Temple of Doom where they perform human sacrifice and rip some dude's heart out while he's still alive. Both kids freaked the fuck out. I paid for that one with many sleepless nights.

That's why I was hoping for recommendations that are less violent, or where the violence has actual consequences...
Mola Ram didn't face consequences? Dude got eaten by gators.

Also the face melting scene in raiders I couldn't watch for years, until I learned it was basically melting jello

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i remember sneak-watching faces of death at a friends house...probably around age 12...lol

@slyfink something the wife and i have realized is how downright awful/inappropriate most of the movies we watched in the 80s are.
i've seen clips of faces of death. honestly i've seen more unsettling patient cases for my job.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What kills me is every time I look up animated kids movies, and for some reason "sausage party" is there too :rofl:
My youngest keeps asking to watch Family Guy, Archer and Big Mouth. I tell him no, they're not appropriate for kids, to which he answers "but they're cartoons. cartoons are for kids".

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If you're on a time crunch and your kids like more tech type of stuff, the Smarter Everyday channel on YouTube is pretty good. Good variety of interesting content.

I used to like watching his channel. but so much of it is in support of the military industrial complex. and when he got to meet Obama, he said he swallowed his principles to meet him "even though" he is a Democrat...

Now, I'm not proposing to "cancel" his channel or anything, but I don't feel the need to support him with likes, subscribes and page hits...

I really like the Mark Rober channel though. We binge watch that one from time to time. There's also a pretty good old kids show from France called "C'est pas sorcier". It's great for kids, but I learn a lot from it too,

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I used to like watching his channel. but so much of it is in support of the military industrial complex. and when he got to meet Obama, he said he swallowed his principles to meet him "even though" he is a Democrat...

Now, I'm not proposing to "cancel" his channel or anything, but I don't feel the need to support him with likes, subscribes and page hits...

I really like the Mark Rober channel though. We binge watch that one from time to time. There's also a pretty good old kids show from France called "C'est pas sorcier". It's great for kids, but I learn a lot from it too,
Tom Scott is another good channel, but even more technical. Though his videos are very short.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hah I remember when the Exorcist came out. It scared the crap out of a lot of people I knew so I wen and saw it. By that time of my life I was a confirmed Atheist at age 16. I was laughing my ass off in the theater at some of the stuff. Staff told me to tone it down or leave. Movies never freaked me out. Coming out of a coma finding myself unable to move from the neck down in a hospital bed from a head on bike vs car crash in 3rd grade did all the emotional fuck my head up for life that I would ever need

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I actually managed to find a Netflix Original that wasn't complete shit, I reckon 'Love and Monsters' is worth a watch with some maybe 10+YO kids.
Depends how easily frightened the kids are I guess.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Not sure we are the best parental figures but we watched the whole Harry Potter Series; Napoleon Dynomite; The Princess Bride; The NeverEnding Story; all of the Ghostbusters movies (not the newest in theaters);Jurassic Park movies; all 3 Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring (so far...we will finish the series soon); the Percy Jackson movies, The Chronicles of Narnia movies and Goonies with our girls (almost 10 and 16).

Also, not a movie, but Netflix A Series of Unfortunate Events and Lost in Space were both hits with our kids

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The "movies that fucked us up as kids" thread.

Scary movies never bothered me as a kid. I think The Fox And The Hound had me straight up crying my face off when I saw it as a 5 year old. Googling it to see when it came out and this is literally the first description of the movie.

he Fox and the Hound, also known as Disney's most depressing movie ever made,

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Rio was a hit this weekend.

But he really loves the Brainchild series on Netflix.