Quantcast

Gloves Or No Gloves?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

mtb gloves are not crash protection, they're borderline useless but everyone who's never eaten shit without them seems to honestly believe they saved their hands
This is why I use moto gloves more often than not.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I usually carry a pair in a pack pocket for if it gets cold. Outside of cold weather, gloves are bad pieces of kit that only contribute obstacles to overcome.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Huh. I've asked women to leave heels on for a lil' spice, but I'll give this a shot also.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
...mtb gloves are not crash protection, they're borderline useless but everyone who's never eaten shit without them seems to honestly believe they saved their hands
Any comments on work gloves like Mechanix?
I ended up with a pair of m-pact a few years ago in an emergency.
They seemed to be pretty tough and shrugged off a lot of crap. Used for DH for a couple of years until the seams finally started to fray. They went through a bunch of crashes and more wash cycles than I could count. Tougher than any mtb gove I have ever had, but also hotter. Fine for DH but too hot for trailriding for a sweaty bastard..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They seemed to be pretty tough and shrugged off a lot of crap. Used for DH for a couple of years until the seams finally started to fray. They went through a bunch of crashes and more wash cycles than I could count. Tougher than any mtb gove I have ever had, but also hotter. Fine for DH but too hot for trailriding for a sweaty bastard..
That reminds me of working on my car. Mechanic (not Mechanix) gloves seem like a cruel joke, as in I always have to take them off when working on my car to work around something or in between a part or whatever. I always end up with the gloves off about halfway through, because they just don't give you the tactile freedom you need.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a strong preference for gloves for mtb. Although I won't skip out on riding if I don't have them/forget them.

BMX and road bike I don't wear gloves.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They're the same thing. The mechanix guys just copied dirtbike gloves, just like mtb stuff. They're that faux suede palm. I used to buy them exclusively until people realized they were awesome and dexterous and started charging the same or more as mtb/moto gloves.

I quit wearing mtb gloves when I just realized that every time I put a hand down I was opening up the wallet. I've still never had anything close to what rideit describes. I have no problem rubbing him out, no matter how bad the crash.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have a strong preference for gloves for mtb. Although I won't skip out on riding if I don't have them/forget them.

BMX and road bike I don't wear gloves.
Honestly man, I don't know how some of you east coasters could ride without them. It's really low humidity where I ride. If that were different, I'd wear gloves.

I do wear them for moto but that's more a vibration blister thing. And I did wear them if it's raining or cold for mtb. But people have no idea how much less arm pump you get with that little less of a thickness to the grip.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
All gloves. All the time.

Recently they saved my hands from thorny vegetation when I high-sided into the gnar.

Also, with my weak ass office cubicle hands, they seem to help with grip :)