Quantcast

Gloveless grips?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I have Sensus lite, Swayze and Disisdaboss here (all lock on versions) and also ODI longneck in both push on and lock on versions
Longnecks aren't a bad grip BUT... have taller/stiffer/harder compound ribs and definitely feel nicer in the push-on version... But are still nowhere near as nice to the touch as ANY of the Sensus grips. Longnecks also have MOAR float/vagueness because of this.
Swayze's ribs are not as fine Lite's but not as tall as Longnecks so still feel nicer
Disisdaboss ribs are somewhere inbetween a Lite and Swayze.
Disisdaboss and Swayze flanged lock ons are also massively long at 143mm plus end plugs so can cause issues with control placement on narrower bars or bars with a wider curvature or cluttered controls. (Can't run them on my jump bike or Eeb). Lite's are nice and short at 128mm and Longnecks 135mm
[/SuperNERD]

Cam's Bro Howie seems to run the show at Sensus and is sound AF. Certainly on a customer service level anyway.
Can you please measure the outer and inner diameters (below the ribs) of your Lites and Swayzes? How do they compare to the longnecks?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
wide section of calipers on outer diameter of the ribs (uncompressed)
Lites 29.3
Swayze 29.8
Longnecks 31
Push on Longnecks and Disisdaboss' (2pr) are part worn and fitted to bikes so I CBA going to measure them.

wide section of calipers forcefully squashing ribs flat
Lites 25.9
Swayze 26.8
Longnecks 27.3

Ribs wave around the grip on Sensus grips as opposed to straight round on Longnecks so measuring between them isn't 100% accurate but...
Lites 24.2 - 24.6
Swayze 24.7 - 25.3
Longnecks 25.2 - 25.3
(each measured at 3 points, a few ribs in, middle and a few ribs from the outside)

Widest part of end flange diameter
Lites - taper to 32mm diameter but has a rounded barely pronounced flange
Swayze - long almost 45deg taper to 35.5mm diameter 2.5mm wide flat flange
Longneck short blocky taper to 34mm diameter 6mm wide flat flange

*all measurements in milliEuros & taken from new unused grips

You're probably overthinking this. Unless you have massive hands, are a soft handed sap or wear gloves (*also see second reason) just buy lites. Or like me buy all 3 and Never use the other 2

I'd be an L(10) in gloves if I were a soft handed sap

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have push-on Longnecks on my HT, the left one on the right and vice versa, they feel real nice that way.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Unless you are a soft handed sap or wear gloves.
Cheers Gary!
Yes and yes if I am riding lift assisted trails, so thanks a lot!:D
Actually I thought the differences were much bigger as the Sensus grips always gave me the imression of being relatively thin apart the Meatypaws.
Strangely in our region I haven't seen any Sensus grips in shops or mounted on bikes for that matter, so this is much appreciated.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
See the thing is.....you don't know shit about zink other than you saw some coverage of him with guns. You're running off with the assumption that he's something you've made up in your head, but truly have no earthly clue about.

Sensus grips is not fuckin' amazon. Get a grip. A sensus grip! Actually get two, they work great in pairs. I can promise you they have better labor practices than amazon. Sensus funds their trail building non-profit, not politics.

Nice grips, indeed.

Another good gloveless choice are the super-sticky/soft compound Renthals. Get the kevlar ones if you like your hands to bleed.

Zink: I like his old 911 GTS, but how he was driving it in that video on public roads - nope: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-cam-zink-in-a-911-races-a-ray-syron-to-the-bottom-of-a-trail.html

He's probably a "cool dude, bro", but we're allowed to take actions into account when we form opinions of others.