Quantcast

Glory/RC4 spring rate

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
My buddy has a new Glory 0 and is planning to get a Obtanium Ti spring. He weighs 160 to 170 pounds. The stock spring on the bike is a 400 I think and feels pretty firm to me and I weigh 195 to 200. What should he be running for a spring........keeping in mind he is getting the Obtanium Ti spring. Any help would be appreciated.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
My Glory frame, size S, came with 450 steel Fox spring. I am 150 geared.
I went through 400 and 350lbs Fox springs. Then, I borrowed used X-Fusion 300lbs steel spring which gave nice 33-34% SAG.
I bought DSP Ti 300lbs spring (Thx again, Fadi :) ) which gave 32% SAG.
Maybe Obtainium 275lbs would be a bit better, but more expensive and would required adapters.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Ok so maybe his stock spring is a 450. I've heard the RC4 runs pretty low spring rates.......less then a DHX anyway.
Thanks to those who gave their weight, spring-rate and sag.
He would likely be 175 with gear, so dropping to a 400 should work well to get the proper sag.

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
Ok so maybe his stock spring is a 450. I've heard the RC4 runs pretty low spring rates.......less then a DHX anyway.
Thanks to those who gave their weight, spring-rate and sag.
He would likely be 175 with gear, so dropping to a 400 should work well to get the proper sag.
i am on the same boat, weight 180 with gear, and on 450 spring with RC4

thinking to go lower to 400

also i cant seems to find the guidance for a proper recommendation of spring any where online...

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
thanks fr the help guys, i will give it a shot. seems like it is all pointing me to 400

also Giant gave a useless owners manual, no guidance on setting the shocks

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
You should have received a CD from Fox... Giant can't provide manual to all shocks it has on its bikes...

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Because there is no point providing manuals for every shock used while manufacturer does it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Because there is no point providing manuals for every shock used while manufacturer does it.
But each bike has a different leverage curve and needs different suspension setup accordingly. Fox can't give you the advice on a perfect setup with 40975 different bikes, you have different leverage ratios and curves with different bikes - both the v10 and the '10 glory might use the same shock, but you're gonna see pretty different setups and springweights.

Yukonrider

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Marquette MI
But each bike has a different leverage curve and needs different suspension setup accordingly. Fox can't give you the advice on a perfect setup with 40975 different bikes, you have different leverage ratios and curves with different bikes - both the v10 and the '10 glory might use the same shock, but you're gonna see pretty different setups and springweights.
quoted for truth

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the owner's manual for the shocks are just generic info that doesnt help what so ever in setting up a shock for a particular bike.
other companies provide "tuning tips" for the shock that is equipped with the bike

Giant can't provide manual to all shocks it has on its bikes...
its not like Giant uses 20 different shocks for their bikes.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
You don't change manual every year, because it costs. If You do change it, you'd have to increase FOB price of the bike. Every cent counts in this business. Few cents at the factory, makes few dollars more at the pricetag.
So, if You count how many, different shocks Giant has used in its bikes for last 3-4 years, You will easily reach 20.
Giant, of course, give SAG strong suggestions... see Suspension Manual delivered with every, from Yukon FX to Glory, Giant suspension bike.
No one is able to give You perfect setup advice, because each of us, like the suspension work differently.
Show me the company which, in its manual, says:
"If Your bike is equipped with Fox RC4 shock You should use LCS 6 clicks in, HSC 4 clicks in and rebound 8 clicks"

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Show me the company which, in its manual, says:
"If Your bike is equipped with Fox RC4 shock You should use LCS 6 clicks in, HSC 4 clicks in and rebound 8 clicks"
they werent in the manual, but they were supplemental guides that came with thew bikes;

my Intense Uzzi came with a setup guide.
my original Santa Cruz V10 came with one.
My Evil Revolt came with one (via online charts)
my Foes DHS came with one (two different model years too)

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Do Trek, Specialized, Wheeler, Merida add it? I doubt it. Boutique brands do and most probably just few.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
thanks fr the help guys, i will give it a shot. seems like it is all pointing me to 400

also Giant gave a useless owners manual, no guidance on setting the shocks
Again, besides Manual ver. 8.0 - big, multi-lingual book (depending on the market), You should have received small, Suspension Guide/Manual, which says how to measure and set SAG. And also give suggested SAG for each Giant suspension bike.
If You didn't get it, ask You dealer.
I am also pretty sure, that there is info about rebound settings, in that tiny book.
If You want to set LCS and HCS the way You like it, just try different settings or ask people or check Fox manual You should have received with the bike.
Don't blame Giant... because it delivered all basic information You need.

http://giant-bicycles.com/en-US/page/135/ <- manuals

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Do Trek, Specialized, Wheeler, Merida add it? I doubt it. Boutique brands do and most probably just few.
Trek and specialized do. Specialized actually has some of the best suspension setup/start point guides of any bike company in the industry, from sag settings to compression settings, and trek has easily available setup guides for each type of their suspension bikes (although they don't come in the manual). Every new bike I've ever seen/purchased (save my glory) came with at least a decent start.

X777

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
i am on the same boat, weight 180 with gear, and on 450 spring with RC4

thinking to go lower to 400

also i cant seems to find the guidance for a proper recommendation of spring any where online...
I weigh around 175 and I have to use a 250 fox spring to get 33% sag

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
My buddy is 73kg (ca. 162lbs) naked, he's got Fox steel 350lbs spring which give him 34% SAG.