Quantcast

Giant Glory or Mastero system discussion issue!

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Hi all,

I would like to open a topic of the Mastero suspension discussion!

I am using the 08 Giant Glory DH, since I have more familiar with the bike. I have find that when the suspension hit the roots, step or square hit (Due to our local trail is stairs at the mountain trail)

When the suspension work it will be decrease the momentum of the bike..Did anyone has been same feeling? It will not give you more movement feeling after the bump.

I am not sure did the latest Mastero design the Trance X or 09 Reign has been correct or modify to cover this issue.

Did anyone have some suggestion to improve?

For my personal feeling the Glory is a very stable and easy controlling DH bike compare with my previous Cannondale Judge DH. I have another friend who also sell the Commencal 09 supreme DH to me.

So I can switch from the Glory to it or keep to ride it.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I have Giant Faith and feel the same "death feel", is very noticeable when you roll down stairs, feels like the bike is packing down even with faster rebound settings

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Do you have your shocks set up correct? i.e right spring weight, zero pro pedal, etc? will make a diffrance.

I run an 08 Glory and i love it.. I got the rear pushed and run 120 to 130 psi, half a turn of bottom out thing, quite fast rebound, 450 ti spring. i weigh 13 stone. Seems to work great.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Do you have your shocks set up correct? i.e right spring weight, zero pro pedal, etc? will make a diffrance.

I run an 08 Glory and i love it.. I got the rear pushed and run 120 to 130 psi, half a turn of bottom out thing, quite fast rebound, 450 ti spring. i weigh 13 stone. Seems to work great.
quoted for the truth. I couldn't get my rebound fast enough with even a spring that was only 25 lbs to little. The second I got a proper springrate (and proper rebound - with an air shock) I was suddenly higher in the travel and the bike floated over stuff rather then packing up and slowing down. Once I had the proper springrate (ran it at about 30% sag with the air shock) it was the best "plow" bike ive ever ridden.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong

Hi RM boy,

I am using the Vivid 5.1.
400 lbs ti spring
3 - 4 clicks compression
9 - 10 clicks starting stroke of rebound
3 - 4 clicks end stroke of rebound

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I'll join in,

I have an 09 Reign X with a Pushed Roco and a 400lb spring, i weigh 130lbs.

I really like the Maestro system, but it is not really a very rearward axlepath kind of bike that some people might think it is. It is versitale meaning that it takes bumps pretty well but is also capable of snapping tight corners as well without the bike feeling like it is getting longer and pushing the front wheel towards the outside of the corner.

If you want a bike to take square edged bumps better then a bike with a higher pivor location would be better, but keep in mind it may not turn as well. it depends on your riding style, and your cornering style.

I haven't mapped out a Glory DH but i think the Commencal would be a little better at taking square edged hits since the BB is above 14" and the pivot is up straight above the BB causing the first half of the travel to be pretty rearward. The suspension linkage rate also comes into play, the Commencal is very plush so that helps a lot too.

Krispy

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
quoted for the truth. I couldn't get my rebound fast enough with even a spring that was only 25 lbs to little. The second I got a proper springrate (and proper rebound - with an air shock) I was suddenly higher in the travel and the bike floated over stuff rather then packing up and slowing down. Once I had the proper springrate (ran it at about 30% sag with the air shock) it was the best "plow" bike ive ever ridden.
Ha yeah its a great plow bike, but a lot of people tag it with that name because its so common. But in the right hands it can be very flickable and light to maneuver. Im only just starting to see all the advantages.:biggrin:

Hi RM boy,

I am using the Vivid 5.1.
400 lbs ti spring
3 - 4 clicks compression
9 - 10 clicks starting stroke of rebound
3 - 4 clicks end stroke of rebound
Hey dh_newbie, Im sorry to say i actually have no idea about the vivid. i don't know what setting are correct. All i know is they have different tunes A, B and C, i think. Do you have the correct tune for your linkage?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Ha yeah its a great plow bike, but a lot of people tag it with that name because its so common. But in the right hands it can be very flickable and light to maneuver. Im only just starting to see all the advantages.:biggrin:
I mean, I know how they ride, I owned one, they're downhill bikes, not free ride bikes, they track a line great, they're very stable, all the good traits of a DH bike, but "poppy and quick steering" were not two of the things that I remember.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Hey dh_newbie, Im sorry to say i actually have no idea about the vivid. i don't know what setting are correct. All i know is they have different tunes A, B and C, i think. Do you have the correct tune for your linkage?[/QUOTE]

Hi RM boy, I am using the B tune on the Glory. I think it should be the correct one.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Owned a 07 Glory and now own a 09 model. I have to say its a great design. I have ridden many different great designs in the past and have to say the Glory has it all. When setup right it is very lively and soaks up anything you can throw at it.

Like someone said it doesn't have a lot of reward wheel travel. It’s about .5" at the most. That is the mapping from Linkage Personal. It’s not a Plow bike like the V-10, M3, or M6. Most will say those bikes have a dead feeling to them.

The Positives:
The glory is designed to have it all, Great pedaling, Snappy Feeling in the turns, Jumps well, Brakes with no Brake-Jack feeling, and Soaks up what you need it to.

The Negatives:
The frame weighs more than most out there, but will change in 2010. The frame now is about 10.8lbs without shock. Giant will be getting the new 2010 model down to about 8lbs. The good thing is now when on the bike it feels way lighter than it really is.

I am 175lbs and had a DHX 5.0 on my 07 frame. It was setup at 30% sag with a 450lb spring. 175psi in the Boost Valve with it turned all the way in. No Pro-Pedal turned on at all. Rebound would be set to the race course but most of the time set Fast. That just my riding style. Still building the 09 up now. Will have a Manitou Revox on it.

Hope this helps out some.

Cecil:cheers:

Last edited:

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Owned a 07 Glory and now own a 09 model. I have to say its a great design. I have ridden many different great designs in the past and have to say the Glory has it all. When setup right it is very lively and soaks up anything you can throw at it.

Like someone said it doesn't have a lot of reward wheel travel. It’s about .5" at the most. That is the mapping from Linkage Personal. It’s not a Plow bike like the V-10, M3, or M6. Most will say those bikes have a dead feeling to them.

The Positives:
The glory is designed to have it all, Great pedaling, Snappy Feeling in the turns, Jumps well, Brakes with no Brake-Jack feeling, and Soaks up what you need it to.

The Negatives:
The frame weighs more than most out there, but will change in 2010. The frame now is about 10.8lbs without shock. Giant will be getting the new 2010 model down to about 8lbs. The good thing is now when on the bike it feels way lighter than it really is.

I am 175lbs and had a DHX 5.0 on my 07 frame. It was setup at 30% sag with a 450lb spring. 175psi in the Boost Valve with it turned all the way in. No Pro-Pedal turned on at all. Rebound would be set to the race course but most of the time set Fast. That just my riding style. Still building the 09 up now. Will have a Manitou Revox on it.

Hope this helps out some.

Cecil:cheers:
Hi FCLinder,

It is good to see your new bike again.

As I remember you are back to use Glory again...
I also want to know how's the Revox compare with the DHX?

The weight penalty is not really a big issue for me, so I will try to see some setting change on the Glory.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I managed to get my glory to 39lbs with wet screams, and 40lbs with Minions. Of course i would like it lighter but i really cant complain, thats pretty light for a Glory.

With the B tune bud, it prob best to ask someone on here, i really don't know. Is that the most common tune?

Oh any one got any more info on the 2010 Glory? i do really want one?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Hi FCLinder,

It is good to see your new bike again.

As I remember you are back to use Glory again...
I also want to know how's the Revox compare with the DHX?

The weight penalty is not really a big issue for me, so I will try to see some setting change on the Glory.
I personaly think the Revox will feel better than the DHX did with the High and Low controls. The Revox has a lot more control over tunning than the DHX so you will be able to tune in the Mid Stroke a little better. That was the problem I found with the DHX and why I truned in the Bottom Out Control all the way in and used 175psi in the Chamber.

As for the RS Vivid you would want the B tune for the Glory.