Getting a RF Cinch crank to STFU

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
3rd year on SixC on teh big bike.
Not even a dirty whisper out of them in all this time

Not a lot of help, - yea I know I suck. :busted:
If they're 3 years old, wouldn't they be the older style with the 24mm spindle, rather than the new 30mm Cinch ones? I have a Next SL of that generation that's never made any noise either.

I have to take my next sl's apart every couple months and clean/grease them..its usually the direct mount chainring that's creaking
That I could live with. I haven't made these be quiet for more than about 5 miles.

Olga_icannot

Chimp
Aug 16, 2014
Seattle
Just admit that you like high performance, high maintenance items. Like that creaky old S4 Avant. I'll do you a favor and buy both the cranks and the car.:cheers:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just admit that you like high performance, high maintenance items. Like that creaky old S4 Avant. I'll do you a favor and buy both the cranks and the car.:cheers:
Funny you should say that. I bought an old M3, the S4 is for sale.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
If they're 3 years old, wouldn't they be the older style with the 24mm spindle, rather than the new 30mm Cinch ones? I have a Next SL of that generation that's never made any noise either.

That I could live with. I haven't made these be quiet for more than about 5 miles.
I should have kept my mouth shut...they started creaking again yesterday only a couple rides after being serviced...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Any updates on this? I've got RF Turbines, but I took them off my Mega and replaced w/ XT the creaking was bugging me so bad. Now I have them on my WFO with a new BB and they were quiet for 3 rides now creaking again. WTF?

Any word on the new Aeffect creaking? I've got like $180 worth of chainrings invested in RF, so I'd like to keep using the cinch...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
A) do you have a plastic or a metal preload collar?

B) My issue was the preload collar coming loose. I put an M3 helicoil in it so I could use a less shitty screw to keep it tight. It's been solid since.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Plastic collar.

Everything was nice and lubed and tight.

hmm...I'll check the collar. And everything else. But patience is running thin...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've had a set on two trail bikes now with no creaking so far. I think that set still has the aluminum collar; I'm running a generous amount of loctite on that bolt to make sure it never backs out on me again.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
New option coming this summer. Designed in Santa Cruz, made not in Santa Cruz. Silent cranks/BB's is why Praxis exists....

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/praxis-lyft-carbon-cranks-chain-guide-taipei-show-2016.html
The use of carbon isn't the only big news when it comes to the Lyft cranks, as Praxis has also stepped away from their self-preloading bottom bracket and crank system and used a threaded, adjustable preload ring that allows riders to dial in the ideal amount of bearing tension. The ring is aluminum rather than plastic like found on some other cranks on the market, and they will fit BSA, PF30, BB30, and BB90/92 bottom bracket shells.

So basically the RF cinch design with a different direct ring interface?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
30mm thru axle like SRAM, Hope, e*13, Rotor, and just about everyone else save Shimano.
External bearings (except with BB92) for stiffness, collet design bottom bracket for PF/BB30 and unlike RF it will use a BB that lasts for more than 15 minutes....

Direct mount interface is the very common 3 bolt style.

Also lighter, stiffer, blah, blah, blah....:D