Quantcast

GES #4 - Highland Mountain Bike Park

Jun 28, 2009
With GES #3 in the books, we look forward to our next adventure at Highland Mountain Bike Park. We are all curious as far as what to expect from Highland's new GES specific race course, it would be great to see some course preview pics.....

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I rode it today a couple times. It incorporates some sections of Maiden, but there's quite a bit of new stuff, too. The new stuff is fun - taped really wide with lots of line choices and loamy dirt. There's only one section that I can foresee being awkward at speed, and that's an existing Maiden section that has a choice of going over a rock pile to a downhill wooden feature, or you can follow the green arrows to the the left for what's supposed to be an easier option. For me, the rock pile to wood is actually easier to ride, but neither option feels fast.

That's a small gripe though. The rest of the course is tons of fun to ride.

--JP

Jun 28, 2009
Sounds pretty rad, last years course was on Eastern Hemlock. Pretty fun but a little too flat for my taste, hopefully this course has a little more gnar to it. I like the idea of a course thats taped real wide, its not too often that our line choosing skills are tested. Anyone got any pics of the new sections to get our mouths watering??

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sounds pretty rad, last years course was on Eastern Hemlock. Pretty fun but a little too flat for my taste, hopefully this course has a little more gnar to it. I like the idea of a course thats taped real wide, its not too often that our line choosing skills are tested. Anyone got any pics of the new sections to get our mouths watering??
no pics, but if it's on maiden then don't expect much elevation. I would say hemlock has more vert than maiden...that's a pretty flat trail with some steep sections in it. I'm not quite sure why they don't run threshold more often...that trail has decent flow and is probably the least used trail on the mountain.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct

Gravity East Series Race Number 4
July 10th - 11th

photo by matt delorme
Highland Mountain Bike Park is stepping it up again!
This time Highland brings us a brand new fresh cut race course, which will be unveiled for the first time for the Gravity East Series race # 4. The Highland race marks the midway point of the Gravity East schedule and the series points are adding up after race three the Top Five Pro Men are in a tight points race.
Gavin VAUGHAN (Team Giant) 565
Richard RUDE JR (Specialized Allride) 560
Geritt BEYTAGH (Morwood Bikes) 555
Jason MEMMELAAR(Team Giant) 555
Leif LORENZEN 525

Check the website for full standings:
http://www.gravityeastseries.com/standings.html

Bring the whole family to Highland Mountain Bike Park and enjoy the awesome lodge and gourmet food. Bring your short travel/ park/jump bike and check the Slopestyle course, home of the Claymore Challenge, or hit up the jump lines and the pump track you'll wish there was just more time in the day.

Weekend Details:
SATURDAY JULY 10th
Registration 8am-1pm
Course practice 9am-4:45pm (weather permitting)
SUNDAY JULY 11th
Registration 8:00am-9:30am
Course practice 8:00AM-10:30AM
Course closed for maintenance 10:30AM
Race 11:00am start
Awards following race completion- PRO Cash purse and product prizes for all categories!
Entry Fees:
Friday $28 to ride the park from 10:00AM to 7:00PM for registered racers only
DH Race Pricing:
$85 includes 2 day pass (SAT/SUN) and entry fees
Register online and save $5 off your entry fee!

Race DAY:
$61-includes 1 day pass (SUN) and entry fee- in person ONLY

Pre register at http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=11216

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
is there camping at or near the mountain?
any free/super cheap camping to be had?
not really. supposedly you can camp on site, but probably not on race weekend and nobody has ever definitively suggested that you can. I had heard if you don't ask they won't bother you, but that's some BS.

You're better off planning on a hotel or trying to stay with somebody else.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
not really. supposedly you can camp on site, but probably not on race weekend and nobody has ever definitively suggested that you can. I had heard if you don't ask they won't bother you, but that's some BS.

You're better off planning on a hotel or trying to stay with somebody else.
well, that made my decision easier.
thanks

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't want to draw people away from the mountain...it just stinks to not have cheap camping onsite or nearby. There may be a KOA or something local...but definitely no fireworks on bikes.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Gravity Racers and Freeriders!

Just got the official word on camping via email from Mark Hayes at Highland Mountain Bike Park.

It is a Gravel lot primitive camping NO FIRES! Grills are OK And the camping is absolutely free!

Highland is a very cool Mountain with facilities, staff, food and trails are one the best mountains to visit. So arrive early Pre-register online and save 8.00 on a lift pass on Friday and 5.00 off your race entry.

Then race and ride Saturday and Sunday, thats enough savings for a great meal at Highland with $$ leftover.

See you all there!

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com

Gravity East Series Race Number 4
July 10th - 11th

photo by matt delorme
Highland Mountain Bike Park is stepping it up again!
This time Highland brings us a brand new fresh cut race course, which will be unveiled for the first time for the Gravity East Series race # 4. The Highland race marks the midway point of the Gravity East schedule and the series points are adding up after race three the Top Five Pro Men are in a tight points race.
Gavin VAUGHAN (Team Giant) 565
Richard RUDE JR (Specialized Allride) 560
Geritt BEYTAGH (Morwood Bikes) 555
Jason MEMMELAAR(Team Giant) 555
Leif LORENZEN 525

Check the website for full standings:
http://www.gravityeastseries.com/standings.html

Entry Fees:
Friday $28 to ride the park from 10:00AM to 7:00PM for registered racers only
DH Race Pricing:
$85 includes 2 day pass (SAT/SUN) and entry fees
Register online and save $5 off your entry fee!

Race DAY:
$61-includes 1 day pass (SUN) and entry fee- in person ONLY

Pre register at http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=11216
Sweet, should be a fun time. Anyone riding on Friday?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Friday's are open till 7pm. I'll be there, not sure if I'm going to race this year but look for the one legged guy on a Sunday.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Its nice to see a sunday only entry fee. 61 is still a bit steep, but it beats paying 85 for one day.
It is 80.00 prereg for two days of Riding/Racing, that includes race fee and another 8.00 off on Friday lift pass IF you Pre register online.

Normal lift price at Highland is 36.00 a day that is 72.00 for the Sat and Sun, and 18.00 to race, that is a deal when you got what Highland has to offer on top of the racing the GES IMO. Pre-reg

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
does that include the day license fee for non-annual riders?
Sandwich you have been around long enough to know that answer......Come on it is a GES Professional Series at one of the best Bike Parks in the Country.

If your serious about racing who would want to miss this event? Compete against the best, the GES has a going average of 200+ plus riders 3 events in a row.... Because racers know what we (the GES and our Host venues) bring to the racers, spectators (bring the whole family they will enjoy Highland) and Freriders alike!

And still get all that........ ONLY Highland offers all of it in the east. Slopestyle park, Jump Parks, and killer freeriding, buffed trails, killer staff and an owner and crew who love the sport. I would eat mac and cheese for a week to be able to race the NEW GES specific course designed by the best in the biz (thank you Slim and DS) IMO.

Plus free camping and the best! Perhaps you are missing the big picture......You know all this, as per usual I talk too much!!:thumb:

You will still be there...won't you?

Last edited:

gravitydad

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
NY
If this is your first time to Highland I highly recommend it, All MTB parks should look at this place it, it sets a standard that all of us wish to see in our sport. The camping is free, and there are many cool people to chill with at night and shred being the lift is open till 7pm, bring your hard tail the DJ's are amazing and if your curious go to highlandmountain.com and watch some of the video's and you'll know why they are in every magazine and Mtb movie these days!! Place rocks!

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Really looking forward to my first trip to Highland! Can't wait to check out all the man-made 5H1T! But.....like another mountain I used to frequent, the man-made stuff gets old and soon I'll be jonesin' for some real mountain, ole' naturale freeriding........

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sandwich you have been around long enough to know that answer......
I've been riding DH since 96...I've raced precisely three times. Twice in the GES. I don't know the answer, that's why I asked. Nowhere does it mention whether that is included or not.
. I would eat mac and cheese for a week to be able to race the NEW GES specific course designed by the best in the biz (thank you Slim and DS) IMO.
While I agree that the quality of the trailbuilding at highland is second to MAYBE whistler, they lack severely in elevation and that results in terrible pure DH riding. The trail may be new, but it incorporates lots of Maiden voyage, from what I've heard, which is perhaps my least favorite trail on the mountain....and is mostly flat.
Plus free camping (camping at Plattekill was 5.00 & 7 Springs did not offer camping) and the best NOT overpriced food, Beer and Wine bar unlike a Ski resort, food is reasonably affordable, you are missing the big picture...
Camping at platty is 10$ a night and they allow fires, fireworks, nukes, hairspray, peeing in the bushes, etc. Highland offers camping on a gravel parking lot with no fires and I promise you no fun, especially since the DJs and pump track close at dark. For comparison, *other* mountains sell beer at $3 and 3.50, highland sells beer at 2.50 for the crap stuff, up to $4 or so for microbrew. Food prices? Bout the same as everywhere else.
You will still be there...won't you?
No, as stated, maiden stinks, and I have to be out of town this weekend (of course the weekend of the closest race to me) plus $95 for a weekend race is simply too expensive for a casual racer like myself. Finally, sport level as I am, I'd be getting run over by the pros since they'll probably only have one course for all classes.

I don't mean to crap all over highland, they are a huge asset to the sport, but they're more of a freeride park then pure DH, and it is certainly not a cheap place to ride. They build great trails but sometimes it takes them a while to figure out how to make them right. Plus, what's the deal with scheduling their one race this year on the same weekend as Pat's peak? The only two races in NH and Highland has to compete?

Are you sure this is the right direction to be heading?
seriously...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Plus, what's the deal with scheduling their one race this year on the same weekend as Pat's peak? The only two races in NH and Highland has to compete?
in all fairness, the Highland race was schedule long before the Pat's peak race. speak to Pat's peak about the schedule conflict if its a problem