Quantcast

Gas pump gripe!!!!!!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Did you ever consider that with a 35 gallon tank topped off you're carrying around a lot more weight? You just might get a little better gas mileage if you started hauling around less fuel and filled up more often. I know that's not your gripe, but still a gallon of water weighs roughly 8 lbs, assuming gasoline weighs the same you're carrying around 180 pounds more than I am with my 12 gallon tank.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Kornphlake said:
Did you ever consider that with a 35 gallon tank topped off you're carrying around a lot more weight? You just might get a little better gas mileage if you started hauling around less fuel and filled up more often. I know that's not your gripe, but still a gallon of water weighs roughly 8 lbs, assuming gasoline weighs the same you're carrying around 180 pounds more than I am with my 12 gallon tank.
My truck and suv each have 24 gallon tanks.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
well, for me I only have 1 grade of fuel to look at.... but around the eastside of Seattle, I've seen diesel anywhere from $2.61 gal up to $2.74 gal

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
$38 for about 15 gallons... goes 400 miles.

whine whine ... :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
$110 a week?

You could do heroin for that much...

Why don't you just go buy one of those new International cuntsumer pickups? :p

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. I don't know if this is rumor or conjecture, but one popular tip is to use A/C instead of an open window when on the highway. Supposedly, the drag from an open window at highway speeds uses more gas than A/C.

2. My biggest complaint about SUV's and large trucks is when you see only one or two people in them. Considering that 75% of driving (I think) is commuting, unless you are taking a couple of people or large items everyday, I think bigger vehicles are unnecessary.

Disclosure: one time commuting to work in New Orleans, I was forced off the road by a Suburban with a female driver on the cell phone. There was no one else in the SUV.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Man I love my 1990 Chevy 1500 4x4 so what if it gets 13 mpg. I love trucks I will drive one till the day I die. There is nothing like starting your truck up in the morning and being greeted by a healthy vroom. I have glass packs on my truck and absolutely love the sound of the engine I love driving with the windows down so I can hear more of my truck. With a truck you can throw your bike in the back without having to use a dumb rack. As well as this as has been mention you cna pull a trailor, go off roading, haul tons of things in the back such as: sod, trees, soil, hay bails, trees, tools, motorcycles, engines, wild game after you have shot it, your friends, your dogs, bowes, house hold appliences, etc etc. Trucks made this country and they will continue to shape this country. oh and I filled in at 1.93 on mid grade with 10% ethonal yesterday.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hey, I should say I am not against trucks. They serve an important function and 90% of my mtb trips have been in a truck.

However, it is those midgrade/luxury SUV's that piss me off. The dude in Tahoe driving around a nineties Cherokee is cool with me. It is that rich b*tch in a chromed out tank that has never seen mud or snow is what kills me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:
<snip>
However, it is those midgrade/luxury SUV's that piss me off. The dude in Tahoe driving around a nineties Cherokee is cool with me. It is that rich b*tch in a chromed out tank that has never seen mud or snow is what kills me.
Why? What does it matter to you? Just curious.........

-S.S.-

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. People who waste gas affect everyone.
2. I bike commute. Bigger vehicles are more dangerous than smaller ones.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I have a truck that gets about 11 MPG and I hate it. I would LOVE to have a subie, but fundage is non existant

Freak said:
well, for me I only have 1 grade of fuel to look at.... but around the eastside of Seattle, I've seen diesel anywhere from $2.61 gal up to $2.74 gal

Check out the biodiesel revolution.
I have an 04 6.0 international and it loves the bio.
My buddies in Utah can make it for .70 a gallon!
Thats involves collecting waste fry oil and blending lye and methanol for clean sulfur free fuel that runs superb in a diesel.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
sanjuro said:
1. People who waste gas affect everyone.
But the guy with the mid-90's Cherokee's use is somehow "more legitimate"? I guess I don't follow your logic here.

2. I bike commute. Bigger vehicles are more dangerous than smaller ones.
I'm not sure as a bike commuter if it would make much difference injury-wise getting smashed by a Denali or a Prius, would it? Maybe it would.......<shrug>

-S.S.-

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
:stupid:

I'm currently saving up to put a diesel in my little toyota so I can switch to biodiesel and save some $$.

Check out boulderbiodiesel.com and toyotadiesel.com. You can find tons of other links with more info on those 2 sites.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
N8 said:
Why is there a dollar limit anyway?
silly gas pump owners. if there is no limit, they might sell more $ worth of gas, therefore making MORE MONEY. what dumb business people.
my gripe is that i can't figure out how to use the damn things. (i'm fifteen, and filled my own tank, like, twice.) some just want you to pull the lever, some want you to push the button, some want you to pull the lever, push the button, then pull the other lever, and by now i'm very confused. :confused:

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
flatulant_man said:
my gripe is that i can't figure out how to use the damn things. (i'm fifteen, and filled my own tank, like, twice.) some just want you to pull the lever, some want you to push the button, some want you to pull the lever, push the button, then pull the other lever, and by now i'm very confused. :confused:

:D Dumbass

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
But the guy with the mid-90's Cherokee's use is somehow "more legitimate"? I guess I don't follow your logic here.
A dude in TAHOE needs a 4WD vehicle to survive the winter. A Bay Area yuppie does not.

SkaredShtles said:
I'm not sure as a bike commuter if it would make much difference injury-wise getting smashed by a Denali or a Prius, would it? Maybe it would.......<shrug>

-S.S.-
Imagine a lane of traffic is 10-11 feet wide. The Prius is 5 1/2 feet wide while the Denali is almost 7 foot. Your bike width (with you on it) is 3-4 feet. Do the math.

Also a stock Denali at 6 1/2 feet height, is 18 inches higher than a Prius. Sitting on that Captain's Chair, the Denali driver's field of vision is over your head.

Finally the Prius front end is sloped down for better aerodynamics. The Denali has a big grill in the front. Which is better to roll on if you got hit?

If this does not convince you, jump on a bike and take a ride on a busy, 35-45mph road with no shoulder. Tell me which cars bother/scare/notice more, the subcompacts or the big trucks?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
sanjuro said:
A dude in TAHOE needs a 4WD vehicle to survive the winter. A Bay Area yuppie does not.
But why not a 4WD that gets good mileage? Also - why are the yuppie's reasons for getting a 4WD, whatever they may be, less "legitimate"? They bought the vehicle they *wanted* to buy. No need to get all holier-than-thou........

Imagine a lane of traffic is 10-11 feet wide. The Prius is 5 1/2 feet wide while the Denali is almost 7 foot. <snip> Tell me which cars bother/scare/notice more, the subcompacts or the big trucks?
Sounds like yet another good reason not to ride on the road. :D

-S.S.-

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
But why not a 4WD that gets good mileage? Also - why are the yuppie's reasons for getting a 4WD, whatever they may be, less "legitimate"? They bought the vehicle they *wanted* to buy. No need to get all holier-than-thou........
Welcome to the world of the big boys: Cause and Effect. You drive a big ass vehicle, you're influencing the price of gas, pollution, traffic, and even the Iraq war.

Most people either don't know or don't care about the effect they have on the world. Remember, somebody always picks up your tab.

Kornphlake said:
6.6 pounds per gallon, if I recall correctly.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
We take both our vehicles to Tahoe since we have a place up there so 4WD gets used quite often. When I go to our place for matainance, repairs and stuff, the truck hauls up material & tools, etc. Then when we want to be comfy we take the SUV.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
LOOnatic said:
Check out the biodiesel revolution.
I have an 04 6.0 international and it loves the bio.
My buddies in Utah can make it for .70 a gallon!
Thats involves collecting waste fry oil and blending lye and methanol for clean sulfur free fuel that runs superb in a diesel.
Wow is that for real? Sounds like you're a few ingrediants off for a bomb haha.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Don't bother getting a more efficient car, just stop whining.

As a side note, I have an Expedition for a rental car this week. Even if it got 40MPG and only cost 20K new I wouldn't ever want one. Power is good but the boat like ride made me motion sick and the handling responds like a drunk 80 year old. I liked driving an F-150 loaded with a cargo rack much better.

vtrider

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
vermont
my friend has a 67' chevelle with a 427 in it. He gets a grand total of 4 mpg. Thats right, FOUR. :eek:
His solution? dont drive far. I doubt he actually drives farther than from his house to school (like 1 1/2 miles) more than once every two weeks. :think:

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
You guys are lucky, here in Alberta Canada gas works out to be quite a bit more expensive then in most parts of the US. I spend about $20cnd per week on gas, I also drive a 4cyl jetta...

If I was ever spening that much on gas I would seriously have to evaluate why I am driving so much, and why do I need such a big vehicle. The reality is, it wont be to much longer until people that drive these big useless SUVs will have to pay more taxes on them (new) and few will be able to afford to drive them due to gas prices on the verge of exploading.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
vtrider said:
my friend has a 67' chevelle with a 427 in it. He gets a grand total of 4 mpg. Thats right, FOUR. :eek:
His solution? dont drive far. I doubt he actually drives farther than from his house to school (like 1 1/2 miles) more than once every two weeks. :think:
My 1969 Olds 442 got between 3-4 miles per gallon :thumb: Those were the days :D

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Across the street gas went down, $2.55 for the cheapy stuff per gallon. My 91 K1500 pickup costs about $55 to fill. Girlfriends Honda Civic less than $30 or so. Gas sucks!

But I chose to drive a giant gas eating truck. I love it, wouldn't trade it for anything :)