Quantcast

gas at $20/gallon

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Gas is around $7.50-8 USD/gallon in Europe right now depending on country. I don't think $20 will come very soon but its still going to go up.
I agree...it's $5/gal here...I think we might see $20/gal in the next 20 years....oh I can't wait!...D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Carter Holland (Black Market Bikes founder - former Marine/Cop) reminded me of you. There is a little bio in this month's Bike Mag "Carter Holland is Tougher than you" or something like that. He used to commute to his job as a police officer on his skateboard and said that he wasn't respected for that (or something like that). Here is another bio:

http://www.matchvideozine.com/carter.html
:thumb:

i get a lot of odd glances when i'm out tooling around on the police bike so i can imagine what it would be like if i rode a skateboard to work. people, especially the usually rigid personalities in my profession, just don't understand how someone could ride to work when they have a perfectly good car in the driveway.
i asked one of the assistant chief's what i could do to stow my gear if i started commuting on a sport bike again and he said that we'll eventually be getting a new building and it'll have enough lockers for everyone. currently, we have about 10 gym sized lockers in the well...gym and we're not allowed to put locks on them because there aren't enough for everyone. it pretty much blows but it doesn't matter anymore for me because, now that i'm on swat, i get to take my car home outside of the city.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
:thumb:

i get a lot of odd glances when i'm out tooling around on the police bike so i can imagine what it would be like if i rode a skateboard to work. people, especially the usually rigid personalities in my profession, just don't understand how someone could ride to work when they have a perfectly good car in the driveway.
i asked one of the assistant chief's what i could do to stow my gear if i started commuting on a sport bike again and he said that we'll eventually be getting a new building and it'll have enough lockers for everyone. currently, we have about 10 gym sized lockers in the well...gym and we're not allowed to put locks on them because there aren't enough for everyone. it pretty much blows but it doesn't matter anymore for me because, now that i'm on swat, i get to take my car home outside of the city.
I just saw the article again - he commuted on a BMX bike, I don't know where I got skateboard from:busted:

*Holland was a cop with the Chino Police Department in California for two years. "I loved the job, hated the guys I worked with," he says. "When you show up to work ever day with a BMX bike, they don't look at you favorably."

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good. Especially since the taxes will go to alternatives, which would reduce demand and lower prices.
It will get vetoed.

I'd like to see the ethanol section removed. Ethanol is a very inefficient way to produce energey, at least from corn the way we do it in this country. We are already seeing significantly higher food prices because of this. Of course the corn lobby loves it. Biofuels need to be generated from bio waste, not food sources.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I'd like to see the ethanol section removed. Ethanol is a very inefficient way to produce energey, at least from corn the way we do it in this country. We are already seeing significantly higher food prices because of this. Of course the corn lobby loves it. Biofuels need to be generated from bio waste, not food sources.
or cellulose.

i agree...making fuel from food is a losing proposition. but the iowa corn farmers are buying hummers now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It will get vetoed.

The plant they built here is using rejected (not food grade) corn. In Brazil they use sugar cane, but Idaho doesn't have the climate for that yet, maybe in a few more years it will.

Ethanol is not as efficient, but it can be produced cheaply and be run in most modern cars with only minor changes. Once I buy a new motorcycle this year, I am converting it. My next truck will be either flex fuel, or bio-diesel. I would prefer diesel, but it depends on the truck.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It will get vetoed.

:stupid:

National Geographic had a good article on this issue fairly recently and ethanol from corn was basically a losing proposition WRT energy. It commented that sugar cane was a good crop and others such as algae and switchgrass were promising...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The plant they built here is using rejected (not food grade) corn. In Brazil they use sugar cane, but Idaho doesn't have the climate for that yet, maybe in a few more years it will.

Ethanol is not as efficient, but it can be produced cheaply and be run in most modern cars with only minor changes. Once I buy a new motorcycle this year, I am converting it. My next truck will be either flex fuel, or bio-diesel. I would prefer diesel, but it depends on the truck.
I personally wouldn't encourage the "FlexFuel" nonsense. Ethanol from corn should be discouraged, IMO.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Where *can* sugar cane be grown?

Cuz the sugar farmers in Florida are one of the biggest enemies of the Everglades -- which is the only eco-system of it's kind on the planet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Where *can* sugar cane be grown?

Cuz the sugar farmers in Florida are one of the biggest enemies of the Everglades -- which is the only eco-system of it's kind on the planet.
Other sources are more efficient but again we shouldn't be growing crops just for biofuel. Creating more farmland no matter the crop isn't good IMO. We need to look at not just net energy output but output per acre. I've read that algae is the most promising. It has high energy yields and can be produced in a captive environment so little water is lost in the process and it is best grown in sunny arid areas where little else grows. Of course we don't have an existing algae industry or an algae lobby so it is slow to develop.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i've seen a 10% drop in my gas mileage using Ethanol.. whats the point if i have to use more to get the same output?
The 10% loss is from an 85% renewable source. As technology improves, so will the efficiency. Even at a 10% loss, it's still a hell of a lot less crude oil being used.

tacklespore

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Texas
I have spent 36+ months in SW Asia. I'm now divorced, lost 3 years of MTBing, and I'm still freaking paying a crapload to fill my jeep. AHHH!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The 10% loss is from an 85% renewable source. As technology improves, so will the efficiency. Even at a 10% loss, it's still a hell of a lot less crude oil being used.

Exept it took .6-.7 gallons of gasoline to make that gallon of ethanol. Why do you think the Bush admin supports ethanol? If you look at the net energy gained from a 10% ethanol gas blend the result is worse than pure gas. The only advantage is to air quality.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good stuff but I doubt the majority of the government ethanol $$ is going to guys like him. We don't need government subsidies when energy is expensive but when it is cheap. There have been so many technologies that have been dropped during developement every time energy became cheap again. I think it is safe to say expensive fuel is here to stay. If it does drop again that is when we need to spend federal funds on alternative energy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good stuff but I doubt the majority of the government ethanol $$ is going to guys like him. We don't need government subsidies when energy is expensive but when it is cheap. There have been so many technologies that have been dropped during development every time energy became cheap again. I think it is safe to say expensive fuel is here to stay. If it does drop again that is when we need to spend federal funds on alternative energy and it should never really go to a specific technology. Let the results determine what is successful and not the lobbyists.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think it is safe to say expensive fuel is here to stay.
I agree with that. I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for renewable. Cheap is relative, but emissions and sustainability are where I am looking.

The nice thing about both bio-diesel and flex fuel e85 is the ability to run fossil fuel if needed as well. If it costs me less than $500 to convert both my vehicles to run either, then to me it's money well spent.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I agree with that. I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for renewable. Cheap is relative, but emissions and sustainability are where I am looking.

The nice thing about both bio-diesel and flex fuel e85 is the ability to run fossil fuel if needed as well. If it costs me less than $500 to convert both my vehicles to run either, then to me it's money well spent.
Efficiency and reduction of demand is also extremely important, moreso than renewable if you aske me. If every acre of corn we grew was turned into ethanol it would only supply 12% of our gasoline needs. Even if we can produce it more efficiently from waste products we still will not have the raw materials to fill our needs.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Efficiency and reduction of demand is also extremely important, moreso than renewable if you aske me. If every acre of corn we grew was turned into ethanol it would only supply 12% of our gasoline needs. Even if we can produce it more efficiently from waste products we still will not have the raw materials to fill our needs.
That's why I don't commute in a car/truck, I use public transportation, and I walk around town rather than hop in the car to run to the corner.

Can I do more? Yes, I can. Does the little crap I do help anyone else? I doubt it. Do I feel good about doing what little I can to help? Yes, I do.

My first step was reduction. I have cut my fuel consumption by more than half over the last year. I will continue to cut my consumption when and where I can, too. So the next logical step is fuel alternatives. I have access to B25 commercial and B100 home made. I also have retail e85 available near my house. So those are the logical alternatives at this point.

So would I save any money? I doubt it, but that's not the reason I am doing it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's why I don't commute in a car/truck, I use public transportation, and I walk around town rather than hop in the car to run to the corner.

Can I do more? Yes, I can. Does the little crap I do help anyone else? I doubt it. Do I feel good about doing what little I can to help? Yes, I do.

My first step was reduction. I have cut my fuel consumption by more than half over the last year. I will continue to cut my consumption when and where I can, too. So the next logical step is fuel alternatives. I have access to B25 commercial and B100 home made. I also have retail e85 available near my house. So those are the logical alternatives at this point.

So would I save any money? I doubt it, but that's not the reason I am doing it.

I have no access to public transportation or alternative fuels. About the only thing I can do is not go home for lunch but I need to get out of this place to stay sane. But only about 30% of energy needs are from transportation. The rest is in electricity/heating and from the products we buy. I've made a serious effort and investment into making my house more efficient, I keep the thermistat down and I don't really buy anything. I've cut my electricity usage by about 30% compared to 2 years ago.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have no access to public transportation or alternative fuels. About the only thing I can do is not go home for lunch but I need to get out of this place to stay sane. But only about 30% of energy needs are from transportation. The rest is in electricity/heating and from the products we buy. I've made a serious effort and investment into making my house more efficient, I keep the thermistat down and I don't really buy anything. I've cut my electricity usage by about 30% compared to 2 years ago.
I would like to make my home more efficient, but it's a rental. If we end up buying it, I have a laundry list of stuff I want to do. I have done the basics, but our house is older, so the insulation sucks, the windows are leaky, and the appliances are dated. If we end up building, it will be planned efficient to begin with.

My brother-in-law spent $35k to convert his house to solar for heating and electricity. He's something like 80% self sufficient and says it will be a while before it's paid for itself, but it is nice.

Portland is graced with awesome public transportation as well as being the most bike friendly city in the US. I've done what I can to reduce the emissions on my current motorcycle and my next bike will be better than that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i hadn't heard about quebec or canada's plans. kudos. the u.s. needs something like this, but politicians are too hamstrung and/or on the dole to get anything done.

that looks like an awesome bill! i hope it passes.

fromthearticle said:
The bill would roll back two lucrative tax breaks for the five largest U.S. oil companies. One helps manufacturers compete against foreign companies; the other gives American companies a tax credit related to oil and gas extraction outside the country. Democrats estimated that those current breaks would save the oil companies $17.65 billion in taxes over the next 10 years.

The House-passed bill would use that money to promote renewable energy industries — such as wind, solar and cellulosic ethanol plants — by extending tax credits that recently expired or are scheduled to end at year's end.

The bill would offer tax credits for more energy efficient homes and a credit for "plug-in" gas-electric hybrid cars that would capture electricity off the power grid, once such cars become available in showrooms.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
That bill got through the House but is stuck in the Senate with GOP planning to filibuster until Dems put the tax cuts for oil co's back in.

In other news my home electricity bill dropped to about $70/mo after going to CF bulbs. And I run computers and my TV most of the time that I'm home, and aquarium pumps all of the time. I'd like to do solar but it's a rental and there's never any sun here.