Quantcast

gas at $20/gallon

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And this is what I don't understand about the Prius and Civic Hybrid. My '89 Honda CRX (DX, not HF) got an average of 48mpg and I drove it like I stole it. That was in 1989! So 19 years later, they now make a 4 seater that only gets 42?

I know the emissions are less, but I expected more than that by now.

As for the VW, the engine will last forever, but you will have to replace the electronics every 2 years. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Modern safety standards have increased vehicle weights. Compare the weight of your 89 to a new civic.
12345. not to mention amenities...

if you want to see what's possible look at the Aptera Typ-1. it does quite a bit better than the Prius, yes...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Modern safety standards have increased vehicle weights. Compare the weight of your 89 to a new civic.
They don't make a 2 seater either. I don't think the safety standards add to the weight too much if you compare the Fit (2471lb) to the CRX (2174lb).

The CRX HF was ridiculous with like 55mpg.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
They don't make a 2 seater either. I don't think the safety standards add to the weight too much if you compare the Fit (2471lb) to the CRX (2174lb).

The CRX HF was ridiculous with like 55mpg.
no 2-seater? honda insight much?

last built in 2006. 48/58 according to the new epa ratings. a CRX HF would have been quite a bit lower under the new ratings imo.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
no 2-seater? honda insight much?

last built in 2006. 48/58 according to the new epa ratings. a CRX HF would have been quite a bit lower under the new ratings imo.
I meant 2 seater civic. CRX -> Del Suck -> dead.

Like I said I averaged 48 in the DX. I would be surprised if the HF wasn't in the 50's. A turd to drive, though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
lots of people seem to wring 70 mpg out of the Insight, tho, to counter your anecdote + speculation with another :D

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
economic pressure is the only force that will cause any meaningful change in the way that americans live. anyone disagree with that?
I disagree... when China/USSR/Germany/aliens invade, we'll change too.

And yes, the USSR WILL rise again. :happydance:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if you're a skeptic of my own brilliant :D back-of-napkin projection for $20/gal, maybe you'll trust Goldman Sachs more:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/goldman-sachs-raises-possibility-200/story.aspx?guid={4B702F7F-41F8-45F0-A133-630F12F2C764}

excerpt from article linked above said:
New 'super-spike' might mean $200 a barrel oil
Goldman's projections foretell persistent turbulence in energy prices

By Steve Gelsi, MarketWatch
Last update: 1:42 p.m. EST March 7, 2008

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- With $100-a-barrel here for now, Goldman Sachs says $200 a barrel could be a reality in the not-too-distant future in the case of a "major disruption."

Goldman on Friday also boosted by $10 the low end of its 2008-2012 projected range for crude to $60 a barrel -- significantly lower than current prices, to be sure, but a possible mark for oil if "normalized" trends return to the marketplace.
With the dollar's fall continuing and financial markets roiled by the credit crunch, commodities like oil have been drawing the fancy of increasing numbers of investors. Accordingly, Wall Street firms have been eager to adjust forecasts to incorporate fresh data on the global economy and energy supplies.
Goldman analysts Arjun Murti, Kevin Koh and Michele della Vigna said prices have advanced more quickly than Goldman had forecast back in 2005, when it predicted a range of $50 to $105 a barrel as part of its "super-spike" oil theory.
"We characterized the upper end of the band as more likely to be driven by geopolitical turmoil and that recession was a key risk to our view," the analysts said. "In fact, oil prices have reached $100 a barrel without extraordinary turmoil, and the U.S. currently appears to be in recession."

Tacking on $15 a barrel to all of its oil estimates, Goldman now sees average selling prices of $95 a barrel for 2008, $105 a barrel for 2009 and $110 a barrel for 2010. The high end of its range is now $135 a barrel -- but Goldman hinted that prices could be headed even higher.

"As the lack of supply growth and price-insulated non-OECD demand suggest a future rebound in U.S. gross domestic product growth or a major oil supply disruption could lead to $150-$200 a barrel oil prices," Goldman said.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know I posted this in another thread, but check out
for an eye-opening take on oil production and prices.

The worst part for me was the film is made in '04 and what they talk about happening around 2010 is happening now. 2 years earlier, that's the American way!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I know I posted this in another thread, but check out
for an eye-opening take on oil production and prices.

The worst part for me was the film is made in '04 and what they talk about happening around 2010 is happening now. 2 years earlier, that's the American way!
yeah, I recently saw "a crude awakening" and some of the stuff they were predicting 10 years from now is already happening..D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hmmm.... I tried the math and at $200/bbl wouldn't gas only go up to about $8/gal? :busted:
grr, you and "math". yes, at straight conversions that'd be the case. however:

a) this was a short term prediction. $20/gal would be a bit later
b) i think our current $3.30 or whatever the current average is lagging behind the market's $105+/barrel, and we'll see further increases at the pump even if crude oil stays constant

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
grr, you and "math". yes, at straight conversions that'd be the case. however:

a) this was a short term prediction. $20/gal would be a bit later
b) i think our current $3.30 or whatever the current average is lagging behind the market's $105+/barrel, and we'll see further increases at the pump even if crude oil stays constant
Yeah right. The old oil companies are "lagging" in screwing us with higher prices. That must be it. :rofl:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Damn...still "only" $3.13 at my local station.
Reg unleaded here in La can be had at under $3/gal since middle of last week

:)

PS: Have you noticed that 18 wheelers on the interstate are all driving 60-65 mph now days? I guess the cost of fuel at $4/gal hurts when your rig has two 300 gal tanks to fill up...

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I biked past the gas station today. I think it was $3.45 for regular. I think its $3.35 down the road more.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
$3.74 for regular unleaded in Ventura, CA. :shocked:

I started taking the commuter bus so I'm only driving about 4 miles a day

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
despite all my protestations i now have a 36 mile round trip commute by car for 2 of 4 weeks this month. this sucks.

biking is out since the roads between my temporary apartment and the clinic are 50 mph limit and crowded (the other option is a 60 mph freeway that does allow shoulder biking -- sketchy!), not to mention 18 miles and considerable elevation change. busing is not reasonable since my seattle area pass isn't valid in this town, 40some miles southward.

and not going is not an option, since i need these credits to graduate. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
despite all my protestations i now have a 36 mile round trip commute by car for 2 of 4 weeks this month. this sucks.
:rofl:

biking is out since the roads between my temporary apartment and the clinic are 50 mph limit and crowded (the other option is a 60 mph freeway that does allow shoulder biking -- sketchy!), not to mention 18 miles and considerable elevation change. busing is not reasonable since my seattle area pass isn't valid in this town, 40some miles southward.
Nobody said it was going to be easy saving the planet! :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
well, when I have a choice in where I live and work I'll be a whole lot closer than 18 miles. I'm captive labor now. :(

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
well, when I have a choice in where I live and work I'll be a whole lot closer than 18 miles. I'm captive labor now. :(
A large majority of our population is in a similar situation as you. That is why the high gas prices are hurting this economy so much right now. A lot of people can't just change things to make the gas prices affordable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A large majority of our population is in a similar situation as you. That is why the high gas prices are hurting this economy so much right now. A lot of people can't just change things to make the gas prices affordable.
i don't think they're in quite the same situation as me :D . i'm finishing up the last 8 credits of grad school and the decision of where i'd be for this last month was handed down from above via the dean's office.

with "normal" jobs one has some choice. not so here.

i am doing my part to reduce my energy usage, however (in addition to the typical recycling/compact fluorescent/thermostat at 62 deal): my RX-8's up for sale, and i'm driving it quite slowly while it's still in my paws. 60 mph on cruise control in the right lane has netted me over 22 mpg average the last two tanks. not bad for a combined cycle in a car rated 16/22 by the EPA, but not stellar in the grand scheme of things.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
my RX-8's up for sale, and i'm driving it quite slowly while it's still in my paws. 60 mph on cruise control in the right lane has netted me over 22 mpg average the last two tanks.
Well that's just silly. You might as well drive it like a rental while you can. Especially if you're going to sell it.
Ride your bike twice a week to make up the mileage...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've had plenty of opportunity to (legally!) test its abilities in autocross. Now I'm done with that. Besides, it's a lot more relaxing to cruise in the slow lane than be subject to the misplaced testosterone and fast-slow-fast rubberbanding of the rest of the idiots on the road.

:homer:

loosecannon

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
San Diego
i hope gas is $20/gallon before 2020, ideally by 2012.

discuss.
I personally think that's a rediculous comment. Some of us actually have to drive in life. I drive 30 min (est 40 miles) to work everyday each way on a highway and the nearest riding spot is about 40 miles also. And some people like to go on road trips on the weekends... $20 a gallon, your stupid. If gas was that expensive, our streets would be filled with more homeless and out economy would be in more of a crisis. Anyone who thinks gas should be that expensive should castrate themselves and never reproduce. :banghead:...Sorry I needed to vent.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I personally think that's a rediculous comment. Some of us actually have to drive in life. I drive 30 min (est 40 miles) to work everyday each way on a highway and the nearest riding spot is about 40 miles also. And some people like to go on road trips on the weekends... $20 a gallon, your stupid. If gas was that expensive, our streets would be filled with more homeless and out economy would be in more of a crisis. Anyone who thinks gas should be that expensive should castrate themselves and never reproduce. :banghead:...Sorry I needed to vent.
You missed the point.

Gas will likely see $20 a gallon. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not in 10 years. But gas as we know it WILL hit $20 a gallon.

Now for a new idea:

If gas were $20 today, what, if anything would you do different?

Do yourself a favor and watch:
End of Suburbia

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash