Quantcast

fts friday

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I just checked - I'm at 5-ish weeks used so far this year with a planned holiday in Italy for 2 weeks in the fall, then there's T'giving... and then Xmas... and ski season starts up. Guess I might end up *over* 8 weeks this year.

:homer:

storms are firing up again, I can hear it.
@6thElement how's things lookin' up there?
Afternoon thunderstorms started at 8AM today...

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:wave:

Didn't wind up riding yesterday, went hiking with the wife instead. Yet another Doctor consult this morning to talk about removing my IVC filter. Maybe a ride after?
You up in town here or down south? If the former want to grab Thai for lunch? I’ll be down by Colorado Center (and thus by Thai Pot) for my meniscus repair follow up visit later this morning.
That's a big deal in CO, btw. Most employers do unlimited because they have to pay out unused time at eoy - and that costs money.
I can only roll over 352 hours at July 1 and I think I ended up with 366 as of today. Whoops. I blame comp days for messing up my math: MLK, Presidents, Juneteenth, and this year July 3 are all treated that way: we work normally but a vacation day is comped instead for each of taken from vacation hours.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. Final day at FH camp = redneck slip-n-slide, tshirts and lots of laughs. Baked and filled chocolate cupcakes for my nephew's early birthday party too. Next up, frosting cupcakes and then heading to a family bbq to celebrate his bday.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
My shitbox is pretty close to the CDT and the grocery store, so I've seen a handful of riders passing through over the last 2 weeks.

They all looked unhappy, but that could be due to the sandy ATV track they were riding on.

I don't see the appeal of racing / or the need to ride the whole route but I'd like to check out the nicer singletrack segments as I gather the race utilizes many miles of (dirt) roads.

BUT I would totally ride the CDT proper from the shitbox to Butte in sections.

Unfortunately my boss is an asshole (It's me, hi, I'm the problem) and expects me to work every day.

Paid vacation days, what's that?

One day...

That said I'm not sure I could even drive the route in 14 days:

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My shitbox is pretty close to the CDT and the grocery store, so I've seen a handful of riders passing through over the last 2 weeks.

They all looked unhappy, but that could be due to the sandy ATV track they were riding on.

I don't see the appeal of racing / or the need to ride the whole route but I'd like to check out the nicer singletrack segments as I gather the race utilizes many miles of (dirt) roads.

BUT I would totally ride from the shitbox to Butte in sections.

Unfortunately my boss is an asshole (It's me, hi, I'm the problem) and expects me to work every day.

One day...

Between Banff and then when I bailed in Jackson a 1000miles later, there was very little singletrack. Not sure if they've incorporated more since my attempt in 2011. I recall some in BC, lots of shitty snowmobile track in Idaho. One of the newer then optional sections of singletrack that had been added was the Gold Dust trail off Boreas Pass in CO. I finally rode it last year and I'd have been pissed off riding it tired on my fully loaded rigid bikepacking rig.

It's lots of dirt road, forest road, power line "trails" etc. It's not endless miles of biking singletrack - it doesn't follow the CDT.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My company is way behind when it comes to PTO. It kind of comes with the territory, unfortunately; construction is going on 6, sometimes 7 days a week, so I often have to be available to put out fires or to provide a fix when something inevitably gets installed or built incorrectly. Even still, there's no reason I can't put out those fires from a phone and laptop whilst drinking a beer on the beach. Even the occasional WFH is allowed, but frowned upon.

One of the reasons I stuck around, is that I'm in line to take over the company next. If I take an honest look at the current owners however, I'm not so sure i want that. They work 10 hour days, 6 days a week. FTS.
If you don't have that written into a contract and aren't gaining company shares/ownership, it means nothing. They can work you into the ground on promises and sell to some big company when they retire.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey hey hey hey

I ran yesterday. Not quite enough time to get a good bike workout but a short run usually kicks my butt, and it did. On the plus side, my old running shoes hurt my feet so I get to shop for new ones.

Going to try and dodge dip duck dive and dodge my way out to an early afternoon. A lot of slide building over the next couple of weeks.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Yeah, the only thing worse than working for someone else is working for yourself…akshully, working for someone else and working for yourself - that’s definitely worse.

That said, corporate-job laptop and cell got turned off after my 7 am meeting and I gave myself the morning off. Bike time! Was gonna hit Black Rock, but probably just ride the local…

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You up in town here or down south? If the former want to grab Thai for lunch? I’ll be down by Colorado Center (and thus by Thai Pot) for my meniscus repair follow up visit later this morning.
Appreciate the offer, but consult was in the comfort of my own home office. Thanks Telehealth! Shooting for a surgery date of early October-ish to hopefully minimize both missed riding time and missed skiing time.

Speaking of riding........

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
If you don't have that written into a contract and aren't gaining company shares/ownership, it means nothing. They can work you into the ground on promises and sell to some big company when they retire.
I've worked with the owners for 20 years. When they say they want me to take over when they retire, I believe them. Point taken, however.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Hopefully this stays west of you!

View attachment 196249
Change of plan. Going to stay another night at the hostel. My target is 17 miles away and it’s a little late in the day to make that. Also I can ride a bike to a nearby Mexican restaurant.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

BUT I would totally ride the CDT proper from the shitbox to Butte in sections.

One day...

I did it in 2000. Trust me you don't want too much real singletrack with a loaded/bagged/bob-trailered bike. Pedaling on an empty dirt road with a view is just fine. I don't know how much of the route is the same these days but there was a lot of what I'd call jeep trails in the border to butte span.

We rode a ton of singletrack. Stayed in helena for a while, jackson/moose, steamboat, breckenridge. By staying an extra day or two where there was good singletrack.....and dropping the shit off and going riding.

I drove through part of the route a few years ago and the hipster bearded spandex on fat bikes n' bags was insane. Just a constant stream of people rolling into rawlins.

I kinda think it's 'done'. Too many fuckin people got marketed to. We saw like three other groups on the whole damn trip.

To me the big appeal of the whole ordeal was just finding yourself sleeping in places you'd never be otherwise. You're not going to ride or drive to most of them for any other reason, and here you are seeing a sunset/sunrise on a mountain range you wouldn't ever be looking at otherwise. And until you get to colorado it's mostly just being out in the middle of nowhere.

If I were to do it now, I'd probably put together my own route. Maybe zig zag across the route they sell...ride certain parts it, go through some of the same general areas a different way.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I did it in 2000. Trust me you don't want too much real singletrack with a loaded/bagged/bob-trailered bike. Pedaling on an empty dirt road with a view is just fine. I don't know how much of the route is the same these days but there was a lot of what I'd call jeep trails in the border to butte span.

We rode a ton of singletrack. Stayed in helena for a while, jackson/moose, steamboat, breckenridge. By staying an extra day or two where there was good singletrack.....and dropping the shit off and going riding.

I drove through part of the route a few years ago and the hipster bearded spandex on fat bikes n' bags was insane. Just a constant stream of people rolling into rawlins.

I kinda think it's 'done'. Too many fuckin people got marketed to. We saw like three other groups on the whole damn trip.

To me the big appeal of the whole ordeal was just finding yourself sleeping in places you'd never be otherwise. You're not going to ride or drive to most of them for any other reason, and here you are seeing a sunset/sunrise on a mountain range you wouldn't ever be looking at otherwise. And until you get to colorado it's mostly just being out in the middle of nowhere.

I approve. :thumb:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Good news on the insurance front. Neighbor was able to keep his trailer for a small amount less and ended up getting enough after selling it to buy a new one. So, the money we got from the insurance company for the hitch will go to the kart.

We're still short from breakeven, but the kart payout amount can be less to close the gap. Thankfully I have a LOT less stress about the kart at this point. I haven't had a seizure in 2 weeks, which is making me realize just how much it was sitting on me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I approve. :thumb:
I don't go into the woods/mountains to be surrounded by by dentists who won't shut up about their artisan hubs and civet coffee they packed.

Cliffs Notes Version For You
Says the guy bitching about what flow trails have done to mountainbiking.

Have fun. Say hi to the 30 other people you never wanted to camp with.

A good friend of mine often says we caught the last of the golden years....in reference to mtbs, dirtbike and snowmobile access. I have yet to really encounter anything that would indicate otherwise.

You know the mass marketing of the outdoors has made things worse not better.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've worked with the owners for 20 years. When they say they want me to take over when they retire, I believe them. Point taken, however.
Then address it as 'hey, can we find a way to cement this? These kind of shifts can take time and if we do them right can save a lot in taxes, but we need to plan for it.'

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I don't go into the woods/mountains to be surrounded by by dentists who won't shut up about their artisan hubs and civet coffee they packed.

A good friend of mine often says we caught the last of the golden years....in reference to mtbs, dirtbike and snowmobile access

You know the mass marketing of the outdoors has made things worse not better. People don't search for the things that appeal them as much as get shown an 'experience' they can have hand delivered.

I still approve. :thumb:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wind is picking up and it just got REAL dark out. Looks like this but is skipping us, but there's more coming.
Screenshot_20230630-105416.png

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

Took the mrs to her first check up today. The Dr was rather surprised when she told him she’s taking no pain meds. She’s a bad ass like that.
Stopped for lunch at a little drive in. Pretty damn good.
8856255A-20E3-4C6E-997A-AB8CAF8A292E.jpeg

I have 3 weeks vacation and 1 week sick. I try to use at least 5 weeks each year, because fuck work.

This week off makes me even more sure on my thoughts of moving on.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

A good friend of mine often says we caught the last of the golden years....in reference to mtbs, dirtbike and snowmobile access. I have yet to really encounter anything that would indicate otherwise.

Can you please show me on this Onyx Super Boost hub where the Doctor on his KTM 6days touched you?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Took the mrs to her first check up today. The Dr was rather surprised when she told him she’s taking no pain meds. She’s a bad ass like that.
Stopped for lunch at a little drive in. Pretty damn good.
View attachment 196253

I have 3 weeks vacation and 1 week sick. I try to use at least 5 weeks each year, because fuck work.

This week off makes me even more sure on my thoughts of moving on.
Basket, those squeeze bottles and window service.

That place is authentic Midwest.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
And... Haley's camp just texted that they are moving indoors and "we're free to pick her up if we would like to". :thumbsdown:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Coverage of the Spring Creek fire out on the western slope stated that GJ had received < 0.5" of precip in the last couple of months. Meanwhile Denver has ~12" since the start of May...

Wettest June ever, so plenty of kindling when stuff starts to dry out on this side of the mountains :/

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I said I don't like them. I actually appreciate their existense. Generally keeps "those people" away from me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I said I don't like them. I actually appreciate their existense. Generally keeps "those people" away from me.
and the great divide route keeps the other 'those' people away from me :D

I'm very glad I did it when I did, pre-social media etc

The last time I was in colorado riding the monarch crest trail, it was littered with fatbiker bike packer types. Every single one of them pushing their bikes with an aguished expression on their face. Might has well have brought a wheelbarrow.

There's a chicken/egg dynamic here. Flow trails collect the element, not sure the element would exist without them
Same with many other disciplines

outdoor education
watching another kid get struck by lightning would be pretty educational I'd think

Last edited: