Quantcast

From the Inside Out - my review.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I landed a copy of "From the Inside Out" BR for Christmas, even though I didn't ask for it. This the new one from 2ndBase, which I guess is a combination of the Coastal Crew (like their web edits) and Anthill (aka Collective). I can't really keep up with the names...

Lots of stuff to like, but not a lot to love. 35 minutes of mostly riding (thankfully), not too much slow mo except when it counts, patched together with nice segue-ways and nature shots that are not too overplayed. The music is pretty fresh but not good enough for me to hunt down the artists. And there's not too much chit chat, although what their is is not too intelligent or insightful, typical brospeak and high fives, but this is after hucking freight trains, so fair enough.

Although the film travels all around BC and eastward, hucking freight trains seems to be the central theme of the film. Good old Canadian hucking and big air. I'm not really into hucking. Seems to be more balls than skill. In fairness, their is more to this film then hucking. There's a section of Graham Agassiz doing some old school big mountain free carving - straight out of Kranked. Semenuk has a pretty sweet section - there's definitely some skill there. I'm not a huge slopestyle guy, but this was a really well shot and enjoyable to watch. The highlight for me was Stevie Smith's section, he is just a pleasure to watch. I wish there was more of him in this film. They should just make a film about him in fact. 100% Stevie.

Anyway, it's hard to recommend spending your dosh on more of the same, but it's only $30 CAN so what the hey...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
agreed. good, but not great. my only real complaint is that i wish it was longer.

edit: i got this because it was bluray, and there aren't a ton of options for blu ray bike vids yet.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
edit: i got this because it was bluray, and there aren't a ton of options for blu ray bike vids yet.
same here- Blu ray looks amazing, and the shots in the film are all very pretty to look at, but this one didn't get me as stoked as I thought it would. Stevie Smith's section made the rest of the movie worth it though- he was absolutely ripping.

I felt like some of the creative shots the costal crew has used in the past to convey speed and give a since of how technical a trail is were passed on in favor of more conventional wide or panning shots.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, DVD just doesn't cut it on a 61" tv. derp. at least i have something added to the pile to help pass the time on the trainer.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Stevie Smith's section made the movie. I think one train gap was enough; two was overkill.

I wish they would have had more footage of Fernie. The trails off the ski hill are epic.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I thought it was badass. 35 minutes is about enough for my attention span. I rarely make it through web edits more than a couple minutes long unless they are really good. From a trailbuilding and cinematography standpoint there was some really sick stuff in that vid.

I guess stevie's segment was probably the best but the opening scene ripping fresh trails and huge stepdowns over boulders was killer too. Matt hunter killing it, gapping through massive ferns and epic forest? awesome.

shredding right from the opening credits, minimal talking, great filming, decent music, no repetitive dirt jump segments, and some old school freeride tribute lines...gets an A from me.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
I liked it. I thought 35 minutes was just about right. I would've liked to see a longer Stevie Smith and Kenny Smith sections and cut out some of Semenuk dejavu.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just watched this. Semenuk is an alien. That kid is just as skilled or more than any racer on the planet in his respective field. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is a retard. Anyone who doesn't realize how well that segment was shot is the retard that other retards look at and and say 'damn, that's a retard!'

The attention to dusk/dawn/magic hour shooting was insane in that flick. Very solid work.

Adobe After effects needs to patent a new transition called 'tree wipe' after this movie. :rofl:

Those train gaps were rad. In this day and age anyone whining about 'hucking' is just another dork who's never hit a big jump in their lives. Follow Kenny Smith around whistler some time and tell me his riding is 'just balls'.

Definitely got some rad footage of Stevie Smith. Could have used more for sure.

About my only real gripe was the heavy fisheyes on Kenny Smith's part. Kind of made the steepness of what he was riding a little washed. I know they wouldn't have been filming it at all if it ain't nothin special.

Solid over all. I still see it as kind of a 'freshman release' though and expect some even more kickass stuff from them in the future.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Agree with the above mostly positive comments. It's a fun, beautifully shot movie that got me pumped to ride and build some more trail. I thought the trails in the flick were great and nearly as cool as the riding--full of bad ass, I-wish-I-could-build-there spots. I wish they would include some "the building of" extras separate from the film like Digger used to back in the day. I know follow-cam is kinda overdone with everyone having a go-pro, but I would love to have seen some of that trail that Mike Hopkins was riding...what a cool line. If you like nonrace movies, this is worth having IMO.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just watched this. Semenuk is an alien. That kid is just as skilled or more than any racer on the planet in his respective field
Absolutely. The step-up to nose-wheelie to bar-spin drop makes video games look under-realistic.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Just watched this. Semenuk is an alien. That kid is just as skilled or more than any racer on the planet in his respective field. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is a retard. Anyone who doesn't realize how well that segment was shot is the retard that other retards look at and and say 'damn, that's a retard!'

The attention to dusk/dawn/magic hour shooting was insane in that flick. Very solid work.

Adobe After effects needs to patent a new transition called 'tree wipe' after this movie. :rofl:

Those train gaps were rad. In this day and age anyone whining about 'hucking' is just another dork who's never hit a big jump in their lives. Follow Kenny Smith around whistler some time and tell me his riding is 'just balls'.

About my only real gripe was the heavy fisheyes on Kenny Smith's part. Kind of made the steepness of what he was riding a little washed. I know they wouldn't have been filming it at all if it ain't nothin special.

Solid over all. I still see it as kind of a 'freshman release' though and expect some even more kickass stuff from them in the future.
I like the part where you say people with different opinions from your own must suck at riding bikes.

Also, I don't think anyone is disputing Semenuk's skills. I like how smooth he is despite the complete insanity of what he's doing.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC

this movie is way better than a lot of people are giving it credit for. there's so much amazing camera work and the editing is first rate, lots of subtle stuff that's really impressive imo. The riding is nothing to sneeze at either. This movie is better than almost anything else that has come out in the past few years too.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
this movie is way better than a lot of people are giving it credit for. there's so much amazing camera work and the editing is first rate, lots of subtle stuff that's really impressive imo. The riding is nothing to sneeze at either. This movie is better than almost anything else that has come out in the past few years too.
Do you really think it's any better than the original Collective release from 7 years ago? OK, the riders have stepped it up a little (Semenuk at least), and it's HD, but I felt like it was a similar film overall. That film had pretty awesome camera work and editting as well...

If you liked the Collective, you'll like this. (And I did like the Collective.)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I like the part where you say people with different opinions from your own must suck at riding bikes.
Nah I know lots of really good bike riders who can't hit big jumps well. :D /JK

Come on man, it's a bike movie. The idea is to create spectacle. One of the guys instrumental in making the flick had always wanted to hit that jump over a train.....so of COURSE they shot it. It's all bike riding, and it's still calculated speed and some skill to do it. This isn't bender making stem babies off of stuff with flat landings and just expecting the bike to compensate.

The few big jumps they shot in the movie were being ridden by pretty skilled people. It's not 'just balls'.

And I have to admit, most of the people I see saying that tend to dismiss it because they've never done anything like it. Again.....not bender style.....but someone like Kenny Smith who knows how to ride. Knowing where to put your bike down and doing it on a big jump is exactly the same as putting together lines through rocks. It still takes honed intuition and the ability to read terrain. I mean really, those jumps didn't look fun to you?

That's all.

Do you really think it's any better than the original Collective release from 7 years ago?
I haven't watched the first collective vid in a while but I'd be surprised if I did and couldn't say that this was certainly shot as well or better.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I agree with this 100% it's really fresh and well done. 1 less train gap is all I would ask for.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I really enjoyed it. The bro-ness and industry speak was at a minimum. (does anyone else get annoyed by the term "zone") Music was good, riding was great, interviews and monotone over dramatization of the sport (I'm looking at you Clay Porter) was kept at acceptable levels. I give it a 8/10.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why you gotta be dissin on cocaine man?

;)

What you said applies to 30mph through super steep techy rocks too IMO.... People have died doing that.

I personally think it would be kind of neat to watch a full sized locomotive hauling ass underneath you while in the air but I do concede that I really don't think about it that much.

How about a herd of elephants.........now that would be cool and really demonstrate what mountain biking is all about. Or an apollo sized rocket.......now we're talkin! :rofl:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
got the BD yesterday and just finished it today.

i was expecting another "bro-tastic" movie but was glad to see that was kept to a minimum. the movie was shot fantastic and although the music isnt my personal preference, it wasnt that bad and it fit with the film. lots of great riding and steep sections (especially kenny hill's section.) as others said, the lack of dull, boring monotone narration was awesome. the film was definitely short but it wasnt that noticeable since the riding was great. the few crashes were pretty damn gnarly too!

i am a bit bummed the BD was only in 2 channel audio.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Is it possible to buy just the DVD or do you have to get the combo pack?

I would prefer to download but I won't use iTunes, so I guess that's out.