friday gfmt

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I'll come pull y'all out with my Land Cruiser if you get stuck. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Even my M+S all seasons + the Land Cruiser's 4WD are sufficient for an exemption from the chain requirement, which is good since chains the proper size are both expensive and a pain in the ass.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
in colorado

my 65 beetle had studded snows.....

the 2 gti's had all seasons...

the jetta had all seasons....

the passat wagon had all seasons....

never really had a problem getting around unless there was over a foot of snow on the ground.....

hard to believe i went through five cars in 7-8 years...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It has been a very stressful week putting together a one of the biggest proposals my company has ever attempted. Closeout meeting in 22 minutes. A beer shall be cracked before I dial in.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
bleh this week got me like the beginning of this song...

BUT. i did get a bonus & a raise this week. :dance:
wrapped a big project that was a classic case of too many cooks.
skiing all weekend hopefully sunday will be another pow day.
so life is guten.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Even my M+S all seasons + the Land Cruiser's 4WD are sufficient for an exemption from the chain requirement, which is good since chains the proper size are both expensive and a pain in the ass.
Almost 25 years in Colorado - chains one time. Previously mentioned. They NEVER require chains on passenger vehicles here on the highways. $hit gets closed before that.

There is a bill in the state legislature to require snow tires for vehicles traveling in the mountains during the winter/spring: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/02/25/colorado-lawmakers-consider-stricter-snow-tire-requirements-2/

I support this wholeheartedly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There is a bill in the state legislature to require snow tires for vehicles traveling in the mountains during the winter/spring: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/02/25/colorado-lawmakers-consider-stricter-snow-tire-requirements-2/

I support this wholeheartedly.
Looks like it passed the state House, going to Senate next. It's actually not that strict, with any of the following sufficing:

- chains in the car
- AWD + 4/32" tread depth
- FWD/RWD + M+S or mountain snowflake (yes!) tires + 4/32" tread depth

Better than nothing, I suppose.

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2015a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont/CF2287B3E744B2CD87257DA200616C06?Open&file=1173_eng.pdf

42-4-242. Winter traction equipment - I-70. (1) FROM NOVEMBER 1 OF EACH YEAR TO MAY 15 OF EACH YEAR, A PERSON SHALL NOT DRIVE A MOTOR VEHICLE ON INTERSTATE 70 BETWEEN MILEPOST 133 (DOTSERO) AND MILEPOST 259(MORRISON) UNLESS THE MOTOR VEHICLE: (a) HAS TIRES THAT ARE IMPRINTED BY THE MANUFACTURER WITH THE MOUNTAIN-SNOWFLAKE SYMBOL AND THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST FOUR THIRTY-SECONDS OF AN INCH; (b) HAS TIRES THAT ARE IMPRINTED BY THE MANUFACTURER WITH THE "M+S" OR "M/S" SYMBOL AND THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST FOUR THIRTY-SECONDS OF AN INCH; (c) HAS FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE OR ALL-WHEEL DRIVE AND HAS TIRESWITH A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST FOUR THIRTY-SECONDS OF AN INCH; OR (d) CARRIES TIRE CHAINS OR A TRACTION CONTROL DEVICE WITHIN THE MOTOR VEHICLE AT ALL TIMES.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In theory, I could take a Corvette on DOT slicks over I-70 as long as I had chains in the car.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Looks like it passed the state House, going to Senate next. It's actually not that strict, with any of the following sufficing:

- chains in the car
- AWD + 4/32" tread depth
- FWD/RWD + M+S or mountain snowflake (yes!) tires + 4/32" tread depth

Better than nothing, I suppose.

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2015a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont/CF2287B3E744B2CD87257DA200616C06?Open&file=1173_eng.pdf
I think the value of this bill may be to get people to realize that when they f**k things up traffic-wise because their tires are shitty they are going to have to pay. Perhaps even some will decide the cost of dedicated snows is worth it. I've done the shitty-tire slalom more than once going up into the mountains...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The people who fuck things up are probably half broke and would default on even the fine. :D

/me is not an optimist, especially after seeing those seeking used castoff tires wander into Discount Tire this morning

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It constantly amazes me (it shouldn't at this point) how many people love dumping their cars in ditches when it snows. It's like some sort of contest.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
And for the record, I'm on vehicle #3 in the past year. I would claim #tycoonlifestyle but it's more like #totallingcarsmakesyoupoorevenwhenitsnotyourfault

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Serious note, got full approval on our custom duty belts and holsters, about 5 k for us.

On the note on the tiers, scares me how many folk do not actually understand what the ratings mean or actually do
M+S just means the tire will self clear when rotating. This is important in snow and mud conditions. It does not mean traction in the cold
the snow flake means the rubber remains pliable in conditions below 45f This is good in cold condtions, and does not mean the tire will get traction in snow. Only that it remain sticky on cold roads.

Bottom line SLOW THE FUCK DOWN IN SHITTY CONDITIONS

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ugh. Waiting to pick up a prescription for my wife. Not impressed with my employer's pharmacy speed thus far.