Quantcast

Fox 40's, issue with arch snapping????

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Hi guys,

I have seen 2 pics of totally snapped fox 40 arches, and i personally know at least 1 person who has hairline cracks forming in the rear of the arch in the exact same place as the ones i saw on pinkbike. All these forks are the 05's, anybody know if they have changed the castings for 06? Anybody else having these problems with them??

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Dirtworks has their lowers on back order, and suprise suprise, Daver from Farkin cracked his too. Stories suggest that it's freak incidents that causes it, and something that a fork should be able to survive.
Hmmm... shame, really. Nice fork otherwise.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
It's happening to all of them. You should sell yours to me, super cheap, before you break it.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
So no one is having these issues? These are isolated cases??? 2 pics from pinkbike (differant forks by the way) and a pic of the guy i knows fork, hairline crack in back of arch. They are all in the exact same spot........

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've seen two pairs with broken arches. To be fair, one of them broke after a tree collision that would have broken nearly any fork. The other one didn't crack all the way through and the owner just noticed it while cleaning his bike. I've got nothing against the forks though and would love a set myself but for a fork that is stil pretty rare in these parts I've seen more broken this year than any other fork.

*edit* - although seeing/hearing more about a broken Fox 40 could just be due to the "newness" of the fork and the amount of interest in them. Maybe people just don't discuss broken Boxxers anymore?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
thaflyinfatman said:
Daver breaking something should never be taken as any kind of evidence against a product. He broke a STEM for christs sake.
how the hell do you break a stem? anyways i think that 3-4 cases of cracked arches on a first generation downhill fork isn't too bad. i mean keep in mind how many of these forks exist. and i bet fox will replace them or at least discount new lowers.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Transcend said:
You do realize that that arch design has been used on every single fox fork since their inception right?
You do realize that no fox fork has been for dh until now? XC riders are not a good indicator of how strong a fork design is.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
nickaziz said:
You do realize that no fox fork has been for dh until now? XC riders are not a good indicator of how strong a fork design is.
Right, so Dirt Jumpers haven't been using fox forx since they came out? And kids haven't been racing hardtails Dh on them? Including WC float RLCS that are the lightest and most drilled out fork in the inventory? Or the 36/talas/vanilla in all of their flavours.

I know many, MANY Djs who will abuse a fork much much more then dh does. So don't patronize me until you know what you are talking about. I worked at fox when the forx were released and have seen the abuse those riders put them through.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
well i've had my vanilla125r for 2 years now and have beat the living snot out of it. Granted its a sc fork, on a hardtail. and i've only raced DH on it once. But i've bombed down porcupine rim, and dirtjumped the crap out of it. i have freeridden it and put aftermarket springs to make it stiffer too. The seals were replaced once, and they needed it. But other than that one seal replacement, and stiffer springs for djing, the fork has held well. I dont think i would buy any other brand of fork from hear on out.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
check on mtbr. i know of 2 ppl that have cracked their are. Both of them also knocked the black penis too

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I know a few people who have them, and I have seen a ton of them at the races. Everyone I have spoken to loves them. Personally, I haven't seen or heard of anyone breaking their forks, except on the internet...not too sure if that actually helped.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
snowskilz said:
check on mtbr. i know of 2 ppl that have cracked their are. Both of them also knocked the black penis too
uggg... dam you, i wasted 10 minutes of my life on that site reading utter trash, but i did find this pic. Again, same location, differant fork :confused: :confused:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Transcend said:
Right, so Dirt Jumpers haven't been using fox forx since they came out? And kids haven't been racing hardtails Dh on them? Including WC float RLCS that are the lightest and most drilled out fork in the inventory? Or the 36/talas/vanilla in all of their flavours.

I know many, MANY Djs who will abuse a fork much much more then dh does. So don't patronize me until you know what you are talking about. I worked at fox when the forx were released and have seen the abuse those riders put them through.
You've falling into the internet trap. Just because one fork looks a little similer to another (a 40 vs a vanilla casting) doesn't mean they are the same or that both should work the same. The exact thickness, exact variation of relieved material, exact direction of forces, exact curvature and radius of the arch, distance between legs, etc will make each of them different, and just because one works doesn't mean the other will. Do the vanillas have 40mm stanchions? Didn't think so. Just because fox makes some other great forks doesn't mean that they won't have to beef up or slightly change the casting on the fox 40.

If this is truely a problem, then I'd expect fox to address it, they have a pretty good reputation. People dirt jumping on float 100s and vanillas has absolutely no bearing with the fox 40 and why the arch is breaking. Completely diffent forks, completely different castings...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Jm_ said:
You've falling into the internet trap. Just because one fork looks a little similer to another (a 40 vs a vanilla casting) doesn't mean they are the same or that both should work the same. The exact thickness, exact variation of relieved material, exact direction of forces, exact curvature and radius of the arch, distance between legs, etc will make each of them different, and just because one works doesn't mean the other will. Do the vanillas have 40mm stanchions? Didn't think so. Just because fox makes some other great forks doesn't mean that they won't have to beef up or slightly change the casting on the fox 40.

If this is truely a problem, then I'd expect fox to address it, they have a pretty good reputation. People dirt jumping on float 100s and vanillas has absolutely no bearing with the fox 40 and why the arch is breaking. Completely diffent forks, completely different castings...
Oh i agree completely, but the "innovative arch design" or however he put it is generally the same idea across all these forks.

Obviously something is wrong if multiple ones are breaking int he same place - probably a stress riser.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
kidwoo said:
Actually it kind of is..........

Get one.

I'll buy the big blue tubes back from you.
Not a chance. I'm finally getting it sorta dialed. Of course I only use the thing once a year... so I don't know why I even bother.

Is N* still open? I need to ride som'fin fierce. Thread HIIIIII-JACK! wassup.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ohio said:
Not a chance. I'm finally getting it sorta dialed. Of course I only use the thing once a year... so I don't know why I even bother.

Is N* still open? I need to ride som'fin fierce. Thread HIIIIII-JACK! wassup.

Bummer. It's original owner wants it back after trying for two years to get boxxers to work right.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
kidwoo said:
Bummer. It's original owner wants it back after trying for two years to get boxxers to work right.
Huh? You're on a 888...

The owner before you?

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
I broke a stem once before. It was an Azonic Shorty stem. The body of it between the bars and the steerer just kind of sheared off all in one smooth motion when I was pedaling out of this small gully and pulling on the bars hard. Not a good feeling at all. It kind of surprised me how thin the walls really were on that particular stem and that it is mostly hollow. Everything has a breaking point and will break if used enough, even products advertised as "indestructible".

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Did everyone forget already how many people were having problems last year with cracking lowers, or mysterious mid leg oil leaks on the 888? Or how about all the Super T arches that have snapped? I know a couple rides who had superT's go early.. mine even had cracks in my arch, but the guy who bought it didnt care....

As much development you can do to a new product in test labs and with "on hill" testing, you cant really duplicate what the end user will do to it. Maybe the casting design, or process has weaknesses, or maybe they forgot to put the value in the FEA program for "wheel between the knees side load parking lot test".

Freaking Weaksauce 40! thats the only good thing to come from that MTBR thread.....

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
oly said:
Did everyone forget already how many people were having problems last year with cracking lowers, or mysterious mid leg oil leaks on the 888? Or how about all the Super T arches that have snapped? I know a couple rides who had superT's go early.. mine even had cracks in my arch, but the guy who bought it didnt care....

As much development you can do to a new product in test labs and with "on hill" testing, you cant really duplicate what the end user will do to it. Maybe the casting design, or process has weaknesses, or maybe they forgot to put the value in the FEA program for "wheel between the knees side load parking lot test".

Freaking Weaksauce 40! thats the only good thing to come from that MTBR thread.....
Nothing good ever comes from mtbr.com.........

I remember all that, but it got fixxed up in the next revision of the fork (to my knowledge anyway), haven't heard or seen any 888's leaking or breaking at the thru axle lately.

What i want to know is if fox have beefed it up in that area for 06 as it looks like it ***may*** be a potential weak spot.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
well ive been watchin that issue unfold on the various boards the broken forks get posted on and i think its been established quite clear that thats the weak spot of the design of the lowers.

but that just means that thats where the fork will fail first, not that it will fail prematurely or not, which is the really interesting question, i mean, if it takes an impact that would have bent any lowers or cracked any other fork lowers in random places, then i suppose its ok, anyway, i think that the whole idea behind a dramatically oversized structure might not be such a good on if the fork is so rigid that it snaps instead of twisting, but thats just me.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
thaflyinfatman said:
Daver breaking something should never be taken as any kind of evidence against a product. He broke a STEM for christs sake.
Ah, thanks guys, i love you too.

Rik said:
Dirtworks has their lowers on back order, and suprise suprise, Daver from Farkin cracked his too. Stories suggest that it's freak incidents that causes it, and something that a fork should be able to survive.
Hmmm... shame, really. Nice fork otherwise.
DW aren't sure about whether its a warranty case, Calimari is going to try and get something happening, but i'll be at the next State round for sure.

bballe336 said:
how the hell do you break a stem?
With ease. The clamping area on my titec flared after 2 years of abuse.

AND, just FYI, another mate (U17s) played 6th on a set that were cracked the under the arch on both sides. He only realised they were cracked after i showed him where mine were, but he decided to get some points anyway. After his run "yeah, i heard another crack and didn't want to look down in case they'd cracked straight through". As it turns out, they hadn't cracked the whole way through, but the hairline was now wider and had moved past the second web.

So thats 2 sets in the same weekend, by one rider who's a fast hack, and the other whos a slow heavy hack.

Oh, and here's my pic.

Attachments

Cooper

Chimp
May 18, 2005
Sydney, OZ
ha calimari... i new it would start to catch, not a bad code name 4 a squid ay dave!
bummber about the forks, i caunt c any reason why it should not be a warantee

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im starting to think forks are getting so light that it is compromising strength. Ill stick with my 888 or get an Avy in the future.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Kanter said:
Im starting to think forks are getting so light that it is compromising strength. Ill stick with my 888 or get an Avy in the future.
People keep thinking the 40 is so light because they made it so thin, but after one rebuild where you only ad in 3 tablespoons of oil per leg you come to realize where they saved alot of weight. Also the Stock Ti spring is a good way of marketing a high end product with less weight, even though most people have to change out to the heavier spring.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
it's kind of sad to see the arches snaping. thay looked like a solid racing fork. fox should step up for next year with some new lowers.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
oly said:
People keep thinking the 40 is so light because they made it so thin, but after one rebuild where you only ad in 3 tablespoons of oil per leg you come to realize where they saved alot of weight. Also the Stock Ti spring is a good way of marketing a high end product with less weight, even though most people have to change out to the heavier spring.

same is the case with a WB 2.0 or dh3 but it still weighs over one extra pound. theres a lot more oil iside the damper you know.

ive been inside a 40 and the stanchions are thin wall, nothing risky, but thin wall none the less and being that they are so large its a risk they took.
the lowers are also very very thin and lightened out.
anyway, i would (pure e-speculation here, as usual) the problem isnt that its so thin, its that its brittle.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
oly said:
True, but that could be a big problem too. Very small oil volume and small diameter pistons relative to the size of the fork. This means that it might work great for a season, but then take a huge dive.

I think that vitox has some good points too.

I'm going to e-speculate a little here. The best fork for hucking always has been, and still is, the Monster T. Other companies simply have never produced a fork of this type for riding as abusive as this. We get lots of companies releasing their new DH racing forks, and you immediatly see (sponsored) people doing huge hucks on these forks, a lot of decent riders go out and buy them too and use them for big launches. If you are going to be doing big drops regularly, the Monster T is still going to hold up way better than a fox 40, boxxer, dorado, etc... It seems that 95% of people doing these "big drops" should really be using the Monster, but due to advertising and product placement, you rarely see it anymore. The fox 40 was originally billed as a racing type fork, and it doesn't have an adjustable oil level controlling bottom out like a Monster T, so when you start getting big air on it, you may be overstressing it. You don't have to bottom something to overstress it, just ride it outside of it's intended usage.

It seems like everybody flocks to buy the latest "DH racing" fork, when what they need for the type of riding they are doing is a Monster. The 40 is no monster, it doesn't have the wall thickness, the solid metal reinforcement, the crowns, the oil volume, the piston diameter, the adjustable progression, etc....

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
vitox said:
same is the case with a WB 2.0 or dh3 but it still weighs over one extra pound. theres a lot more oil iside the damper you know.

ive been inside a 40 and the stanchions are thin wall, nothing risky, but thin wall none the less and being that they are so large its a risk they took.
the lowers are also very very thin and lightened out.
anyway, i would (pure e-speculation here, as usual) the problem isnt that its so thin, its that its brittle.
Did you happen to measure it?

The stanchion thickness of a 02 monster is 2mm, and the lowers are around the same thickness of cast/cnc'd aluminum.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Cave Dweller said:
Did you happen to measure it?

The stanchion thickness of a 02 monster is 2mm, and the lowers are around the same thickness of cast/cnc'd aluminum.
i would bet that it is significantly thinner. the fox weighs 6.** pounds and the monster weighs 12.5 without stickers right? so the fox might be somewhere around 1.25mm wall thickness and lighter internals. just an estiamte but i bet its not too much thinner than that.