Quantcast

Fox 40's, issue with arch snapping????

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sanjuro said:
Many people think warranty means "free upgrade". Companies take a loss, sometime huge, on warranties. It is the price of doing business, however.

Does a tiny crack mean the entire Fox line of forks are suspect? Well, I have a Fox Talas which has received its share of abuse, and no complaints from me.

Fox has taken care of customers with a problem, and I think that is all one should expect.
I agree. I have a 40, a talas, a float and multiple rear shocks. I have never had a problem with a single fork. This includes me casing the hell out of everything DJ on an original float RLC with WC crowns.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Transcend said:
He was also quick to point out that the casting can already take MUCH more stress then their competitors forks, as per their testing.
Interesting, this seems to be a "company line". I also have some connections with fox and I also hear the same thing, although there are so many variables when talking about what is stronger, stiffer, weaker and flexier that you can't really make any generalizations. Is the 40 the strongest fork on the planet? It may be in one sense, but after a little fatique on the structure or a small nick it may implode, it's all about the perception. In any case, it's interesting to hear the same thing from a different source...

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Transcend said:
You seriously do not get it? A warranty covers manufacturer and material defects, period.

You slamming it into something or twisting the hell out of it in a rut is NOT a manufacturer or material defect. It is pilot error. If the casting was full of bubbles, then they would cover it, it clearly isn't the problem.

If you hit a pot hole in your brand new car hard enough to break the rim, do you think they will give you a new one because some other idiot did the same thing?
I get your point and I don't own a DH40.
I'm just asking the question...
Does it mean it has to broken straight out of the box?
I mean when exactly would it be broken then, If not Riding...
You said it yourself that Fox has admitted a "Casting Defect" in certain models
How do we know that these Forks that have been broken don't fit the
warranty guidelines and Fox just isn't stepping up to the plate?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bpatterson6 said:
I get your point and I don't own a DH40.
I'm just asking the question...
Does it mean it has to broken straight out of the box?
I mean when exactly would it be broken then, If not Riding...
You said it yourself that Fox has admitted a "Casting Defect" in certain models
How do we know that these Forks that have been broken don't fit the
warranty guidelines and Fox just isn't stepping up to the plate?
It means it has to break due to a fault in manufacturing or materials. IE bubbles int he casting, material warped etc.

Fox has NEVER admitted a casting defect, they have simply changed the casting. No one said why.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Transcend said:
It means it has to break due to a fault in manufacturing or materials. IE bubbles int he casting, material warped etc.

Fox has NEVER admitted a casting defect, they have simply changed the casting. No one said why.
Indeed you did say that Fox Changed the Casting and no one said why...
Leaves alot for speculation don't you think? I definately find it quite peculiar... :sneaky:

But I do agree with you Transcend, I wasn't trying to brew trouble...
Just Inquiring minds want to know...I Fancy a DH40RC2 sometime in the next year.
Thanks for the information from a direct source.
You are always quite informative.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Transcend said:
or take up ping pong.
Dammit I just smacked my paddle on the table and chipped it. Can I get this replaced under warranty??

Anybody ever read their owners manual?

Warranty Policy
The factory warranty period for your fork is one year (two years in countries in the EU) from
the original date of purchase of the bicycle or fork. A copy of the original purchase receipt
must accompany any fork being considered for warranty service. Warranty is at the full
discretion of Fox Racing Shox and will cover only defective materials and workmanship. Warranty
duration and laws may vary from state to state and/or country to country.
Parts, components and assemblies subject to normal wear and tear are not covered under
this warranty.
Fox Racing Shox reserves the right to all final warranty or non-warranty decisions.

General Exclusions from this warranty shall include but are not limited to any failures
caused by:
Installation of parts or accessories that are not qualitatively equivalent to genuine Fox Racing
Shox parts.
Abnormal strain, neglect, abuse and/or misuse.
Accident and/or collision damage.
Modification of original parts.
Lack of proper maintenance.
Shipping damages or loss (purchase of full value insurance is recommended).
Damage to interior or exterior caused by improper cable routing, rocks, crashes or improper
installation.
Oil changes or service not performed by Fox Racing Shox or an Authorized Service Center.

The fork is designed for downhill riding. It is not designed for downhill crashing. So crashing and snapping your fork is in no way the fault of defective materials or workmanship. Crashing is not part of this sport. It is something that happens as we push the limits. Ride with in your limits and you could make it through a season without crashing. No one says you have to always be pushing yourself to ride DH.

We bitch about people crashing and sueing resorts because they crashed and injured themselves. How is asking manufactures to replace the parts we broke on our bike during a crash any different? Take some responsibilty for your actions and just man up and buy the replacement parts.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Daver said:
Hand on, i'm arguing for non warranty when MY fork is broken?!?!?! Kick me, please.
HAHA your lucky they are hooking you up. unfortuneatly they have not done that for the ppl i ride with.

I really hope fox steps up on this one.

SIG AVY!

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Transcend said:
eh?

If you hit a tree and expect a warranty, you are nuts. If you slam it into a rut and twist at 40mph and expect a warranty, you are nuts.

Jesus, i swear the MTB industry has the whiniest bunch of consumers I have ever met. You broke it, period. DH is a rough spore, nut up and buy replacement parts, or take up ping pong.
Lets look at 2 companies here.

1st. Ironhorse. Their is a slight amount of slop in the rear end(7pt and sunday). So they come out with new hardware and offer it up to everyone who wants it.

2nd is Fox they have multiple ppl break their forks and dont do anything about it other then charge them money for new lowers.

Ironhorse is the victor, the problem they have is small yet affects many ppl and will cost them a fair amount of money to replace all the bushings and pins(and in a few instances linkages). Fox on the other hand has 1 casting they need replaced know it and have done nothing about it cept charge customers for the repairs.

Now if Fox was a good company they would offer some type of hook up for the ppl that were breaking said casting. But seeing as that they are an ego tripping company its the riders fault.

And please dont tell me about mtn biking being the whinest bunch of consumers. Have you ever seen girls at a purse store come on now they have us beat by a mile...

On a side note i have been snowboarding for a very long time. During this period i have owned 5 diff companies snowboards. Of which i broke 8 boards and 3 pairs of bindings. One of those 8 were not warrantied. And the reason it wasnt warrantied was because of "rock" damage. The other 7 boards i broke were riding park. The honorable snowboard companies replaced the boards bc i was doing what the board was meant for.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Transcend said:
....He was also quick to point out that the casting can already take MUCH more stress then their competitors forks, as per their testing.
That's what I was going to post but I came into this thread too late. I know that Fox does destructive testing on all their forks and ALL of the other brands forks as well. They use the data they gather to make their product better than the competition. I believe that any comparable fork (Dorado, Boxxer, 888 etc) shown in all of these pics would have broken also if not in the same place somewhere else and most likely sooner.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
snowskilz said:
Lets look at 2 companies here.

1st. Ironhorse. Their is a slight amount of slop in the rear end(7pt and sunday). So they come out with new hardware and offer it up to everyone who wants it.

2nd is Fox they have multiple ppl break their forks and dont do anything about it other then charge them money for new lowers.

Ironhorse is the victor, the problem they have is small yet affects many ppl and will cost them a fair amount of money to replace all the bushings and pins(and in a few instances linkages). Fox on the other hand has 1 casting they need replaced know it and have done nothing about it cept charge customers for the repairs.

Now if Fox was a good company they would offer some type of hook up for the ppl that were breaking said casting. But seeing as that they are an ego tripping company its the riders fault.

And please dont tell me about mtn biking being the whinest bunch of consumers. Have you ever seen girls at a purse store come on now they have us beat by a mile...

On a side note i have been snowboarding for a very long time. During this period i have owned 5 diff companies snowboards. Of which i broke 8 boards and 3 pairs of bindings. One of those 8 were not warrantied. And the reason it wasnt warrantied was because of "rock" damage. The other 7 boards i broke were riding park. The honorable snowboard companies replaced the boards bc i was doing what the board was meant for.

Gimme a break. Bolts are not entire lower castings. Fox has been replacing a few at races if they were cracked. If they cracked due to a material defect or workmanship they will be replaced. If they aren't, too bad.

Why shoudl they pay for anyone else's mistakes?

You guys need to get a grip.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Transcend said:

I have to defend Transcend here. Having worked in a shop for many years I've seen just about anyhting you can imagine. Almost without fail it is possible to see how somehting breaks. You can tell pretty much exactly what happened. There has to be an indication defect. It is possible to break anything. There are thousands of them out there and the highest number I saw of broken arches was 5. Its not like you are riding them on a bike path.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Transcend said:
Gimme a break. Bolts are not entire lower castings. Fox has been replacing a few at races if they were cracked. If they cracked due to a material defect or workmanship they will be replaced. If they aren't, too bad.

Why shoudl they pay for anyone else's mistakes?

You guys need to get a grip.
A. Because the intended use is extreme and according to Fox, It is supposed to hold up, that's what they have bragged about.

B. As long as it's within the said 1 year warranty period, I would think that some feel they paid their money and deserve to get their moneys worth.

On the other hand...

I believe, you pays your money you takes your chances...
If it breaks, it breaks. Move on...NEXT!

Some feel that as long as you are NOT "Running Into Trees" or
"No major accident" caused the failure, then yeah Fox should warranty it as long as it is within said warranty period. Anything outside of said warranty period is fair game and subject to Fox descretion.
Some happen to think they should warrany it out of good faith if nothing else. Fox has made their money on the fork, why is the consumer not allowed to get his or her moneys worth also?
Fox has always been noted for their Fine Craftsmanship and Designs, and I don't think the DH40 is any different. No matter what, I still love the fork and fancy one for myself.

This is my final thought on it, this could go on forever...

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Transcend said:
If they cracked due to a material defect or workmanship they will be replaced.
My vannilla broke due to a bubble in the casting. They didnt replace it... Your logic is untrue in fox's world

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
snowskilz said:
My vannilla broke due to a bubble in the casting. They didnt replace it... Your logic is untrue in fox's world
Were you nearly as annoying when you called them for warentee as you have been on here and MTBR for the past month? :nopity:

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
snowskilz said:
for real, your shiz is getting old. :rolleyes: We've heard about a thousand FOX bashing posts from you now. Is it your personal life mission to destroy FOX? It will never work dog. Give up already.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Zach Dank said:
for real, your shiz is getting old. :rolleyes: We've heard about a thousand FOX bashing posts from you now. Is it your personal life mission to destroy FOX? It will never work dog. Give up already.
dude, I'm going to tell the mtbr crowd that you're posting here. you're reputation there will be RUINED!!! :blah:

(oh yeah, DH40 has held up since may for me with only one problem, scratched stanchion, but can't blame fox for that. :cool: )

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Zach Dank said:
No my goal is for everyone to see how sh!tty of a company fox is. They dont stand behind there product. You and many other ppl support fox bc they hook u up. We'll guess what fox has given me and my friends nothing. It is there corporate responsibilty to stand behing their product. But you prolly wouldnt understand that bc your too busy with your e-cult of 16 yr olds :eek:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
snowskilz said:
We'll guess what fox has given me and my friends nothing.
Bro, you want to be given something, ask for stickers. It is no companies' responsibility to GIVE you or your friends anything.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
snowskilz said:
No my goal is for everyone to see how sh!tty of a company fox is. They dont stand behind there product. You and many other ppl support fox bc they hook u up. We'll guess what fox has given me and my friends nothing. It is there corporate responsibilty to stand behing their product. But you prolly wouldnt understand that bc your too busy with your e-cult of 16 yr olds :eek:
if you handled your dealings with them as well as you have online (Ridemonkey and mtbr i see), then no wonder they left you hanging. You came right out of the gate pissing everywhere before consulting anyone, so it seems like you created a self-fullfilling prophecy. Dont you think some companies follow these things?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
snowskilz said:
So what you're saying is the corporations sit in their corporation buildings, and are all corporationey, and they make money?

A nickle to the monkey who recognizes that line and can name the film.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
ohio said:
Bro, you want to be given something, ask for stickers. It is no companies' responsibility to GIVE you or your friends anything.
i wasnt talking about free stuff i was talking about warranty.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
zedro said:
if you handled your dealings with them as well as you have online (Ridemonkey and mtbr i see), then no wonder they left you hanging. You came right out of the gate pissing everywhere before consulting anyone, so it seems like you created a self-fullfilling prophecy. Dont you think some companies follow these things?
When my personal fork broke i took it back to the shop i purchased it at they called fox and without fox knowing what happened or anything they told them its $150.00 So i called to fox to find out what was wrong. The fork broek while riding xc. it snapped at the dropouts like a few others and there was a bubble in the casting. I offered to send them pictures everything. All they wanted from me was my credit card # so they could charge me the $150.00 for their casting mistake...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
snowskilz said:
When my personal fork broke i took it back to the shop i purchased it at they called fox and without fox knowing what happened or anything they told them its $150.00 So i called to fox to find out what was wrong. The fork broek while riding xc. it snapped at the dropouts like a few others and there was a bubble in the casting. I offered to send them pictures everything. All they wanted from me was my credit card # so they could charge me the $150.00 for their casting mistake...
sure, I believe you.

not.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
James | Go-Ride said:
So what you're saying is the corporations sit in their corporation buildings, and are all corporationey, and they make money?

I have no idea where the quote is from and no most corporations dont do that. It just pisses me off when a company doesnt have the guts to stand behind there product.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
snowskilz said:
You will get no love from any company with that approach. I've had good CS from Fox and so have a lot of others. Try speaking like a normal human instead of playground finger-pointing and you might get a better response.

If you crash and something breaks, it's pretty damn hard for the company to figure out fault. Sure the fork should hold up to DH/FR, and that involves some crashing. But if you broke it 'cuz your bike landed cross-up from a 25 foot ledge after your most recent biff, it's not their fault any more than it would be if you broke it trying to drive into the garage with your bike on your roof. In my experience, whenever it's a tough call, the decision to hook you up or tell you to piss of comes down to your attitude.

And broham, based on what I've seen, your attitude sucks. :stosh:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Transcend said:
sure, I believe you.

not.
Well ya should because thats what happened. The guy at fox i talked to was Chris in Customer service. I would supply you pics but i threw away the fork since no one was interested in purchasing a broken fork. And if you really dont believe go over the mtbr and go into the shock forum and search for broken fox forks. theres 2 threads in there started by other ppl a yr ago that fox warrantied there forks (vannilla 125)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
snowskilz said:
Well ya should because thats what happened. The guy at fox i talked to was Chris in Customer service. I would supply you pics but i threw away the fork since no one was interested in purchasing a broken fork. And if you really dont believe go over the mtbr and go into the shock forum and search for broken fox forks. theres 2 threads in there started by other ppl a yr ago that fox warrantied there forks (vannilla 125)

No, no. I believe you called. I don't believe they asked you for your credit card number and that's it. I used to work for fox doing warranty rebuilds. Hell, I single handedly set up the entire system in eastern canada (from CS, to computer system, to doing the rebuilds).

They will ask you to send them the product, with an RA number, before they say anything if the fork is still under warranty. If the fork is out of warranty, then no dice either way.

I also don't believe you were pleasant and non-confrontational.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Transcend said:
No, no. I believe you called. I don't believe they asked you for your credit card number and that's it. I used to work for fox doing warranty rebuilds. Hell, I single handedly set up the entire system in eastern canada (from CS, to computer system, to doing the rebuilds).

They will ask you to send them the product, with an RA number, before they say anything if the fork is still under warranty. If the fork is out of warranty, then no dice either way.

I also don't believe you were pleasant and non-confrontational.
When i said all they wanted was my CC it was a figure of speech sorry. We went through the whole over the phone process what were you doing, how did it happen, did the wheel break yada yada yada . got an RA number then was told straight up it was going to be $150.00 there was no lets look at it, nothing.

Since that point i have not been happy with fox. But now they know there is some kind of fault out there. Daver's fork is a perfect example. And they are not publicly doing anything about it. Maybe i should just shut up walk away and go play on my nice plushy working avy until the arch breaks :rolleyes:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
James | Go-Ride said:

Team america, world police.....

I accept paypal.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
snowskilz said:
I would supply you pics but i threw away the fork since no one was interested in purchasing a broken fork.
ok, either you are incredibly dumb, or are really lying. No one throws out an entire 2K fork because they dont want to pay for castings (ooo, the so-called 150$ :rolleyes: ) or at the very least sell off the parts as a demand grows for them. And yeah, the thread over on mtbr says it all, you cant seem to get your story straight.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
snowskilz said:
When i said all they wanted was my CC it was a figure of speech sorry. We went through the whole over the phone process what were you doing, how did it happen, did the wheel break yada yada yada . got an RA number then was told straight up it was going to be $150.00 there was no lets look at it, nothing.

Since that point i have not been happy with fox. But now they know there is some kind of fault out there. Daver's fork is a perfect example. And they are not publicly doing anything about it. Maybe i should just shut up walk away and go play on my nice plushy working avy until the arch breaks :rolleyes:
Sorry, still do not believe you. If it was still under warranty, they would have checked the casting for manufacturers defects. If it is NOT under warranty, then yes, lowers are about $150.

Also, i would have bought the fork for $150 in a second - so please try not to lie through your teeth.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
zedro said:
ok, either you are incredibly dumb, or are really lying. No one throws out an entire 2K fork because they dont want to pay for castings (ooo, the so-called 150$ :rolleyes: ) or at the very least sell off the parts as a demand grows for them. And yeah, the thread over on mtbr says it all, you cant seem to get your story straight.
It was a Vanilla 125rlc. cost me $300 tried to sell it to 2 guys on here for $75 no one wanted it. moved 8 months later and went in the trash when i moved. Which thread on mtbr are you talking about. 40 thread or the vanilla thread from a yr ago

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Transcend said:
Sorry, still do not believe you. If it was still under warranty, they would have checked the casting for manufacturers defects. If it is NOT under warranty, then yes, lowers are about $150.

Also, i would have bought the fork for $150 in a second - so please try not to lie through your teeth.
I offered the fork to 2 ppl on here for $75. The one guys name was downhill something And the other was some random dood. I never posted an ad on here which now it looks like i should of cause i coulda made some money off the broken pos that sat in my kitchen for 8 months