Quantcast

Fox 40 or 888 or Boxxer or Bos

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Based on experience of riding the BOS RaRe, '10 Boxxer Team & '09 40's, I would go with either the Boxxer or the BOS.

I'd been on 40's for the best part of 2 years, never really got on well with them. I always found they sit too high in their travel, have little small bump compliance and could be described as 'wooden' in feel. Some of that I think was down to the chassis being very stiff, resulting in a lot of trail buzz, and the rest, being down to just the way they are. I discussed options with Mojo to make them, dare I say, a little more Boxxer like in feel, but as the engineer said, they just don't feel like that & are a real marmite fork. Either you get on with them or your don't. Unfortunately I didn't.

At the time I was running a CCDB on the back of my bike, which felt great, unfortunately the fork felt like it was unbalancing the bike an awful lot. Front end was skipping around, whilst back felt planted. I tried to resolve this by running a spring weight too light for my weight, which helped, but it still never got rid of the feeling of 'nervousness' from the front end. My girlfriend now rides that frame & shock combo but with an '08 Boxxer Team and the bike rides so much better its untrue.

I swapped the 40 onto my new bike, which had a Stoy on the back, and had similar experiences. I persevered with the 40 until about 4 months ago where enough was enough, and went for a '10 Boxxer Team. Fairly similar in feel to the previous Boxxer Team, rebound side of things feels a lot better though. The bike feels a lot more balanced since the change.

The BOS I have only tried for a couple of runs, they felt very wierd in the carpark test, slow and lethargic, and until I was up to speed, I wasn't sure what the fuss was about, but there was a couple of steep rutted sections on the track I was riding & they felt really good on them. I'd like to spend some more time on this fork, but unfortunately my pockets arn't lined with gold! The Boxxers in effect, cost me nothing off the sale of the 40's, whereas the BOS would require some serious investment. I'm no way good enough to warrant that sort of expenditure on a fork just for the sake of trying one out.

Very happy with my Boxxer though. Much more comfortable than I was with the 40. It appears mine are the '10.5 model with the revisions already done. They came with little grease & virtually no oil in, and the E clip holding on the rebound adjusters is a PITA on the lowers to remove, but other than that, thumbs up from me :)

Of course all of this is subjective. Other people may love the 40 for the very same reason I hate it! Likewise for the Boxxer. But then thatw hy we have all this choice! Love to try the Dorado, but on our shonky UK uplifts, those lowers would last about half a day...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

yea go head and hate.

and btw manitou would be stoked if i rode the bos and gave them input on another top quality fork. They asked me to test out my saint brakes i won but i said id rather sell them brand new. But if i can test out the bos and give them feedback its different than me wanting to freeride on it on thursdays...
You better not do that. You might create a black hole by comparing these two forks with actual, real world expereince.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
personally, and this is speaking from absolutely 0 technical capability, I'm interested in the new 888, the only problems I've had with marzocchi over the last few years was with their air system, with that gone, i should see no reason why the new 888 evo won't be the ****, imagine all the butter smoothness of 888's past with the weight savings of the air-sprung version...could be a lethal combination...also i'm not too high on boxxers either, i've heard a couple of people getting forks w/o oil...d'oh!!! And the 40s i've seen...typically are pissing oil...but the BOS...should be interesting to see how more people feel about them as more people start buyin em

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
NICE NICE.....

But unfortunately, i opted for the Boxxer team as i got a great deal.....

Final build of my Morewood will be posted in a Week or two, i just need new tires... don't wanna post it up with beat used tires.. :-)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
lol me too man. I dunno how I'm gonna race next season. (hopefully the bike holds together)

This thread hurts my brain as much as demo9's
hahaha yes being unemployed sucks, i didnt race that many USAC races so im sure they will deny me of my pro license this year. PM sent back junty.

dhcooke

Chimp
Feb 5, 2009
I can't remember where I heard this, but it was a legit source. Just to give you an idea on the forks...

18,000 ups and downs and bos needs a rebuild
8,000 for boxxer
6,000 for 888 and fox
2,000 manitou....don't know if that includes the dorado

don't know how accurate the numbers are, but the order is correct

Im personally going to get a boxxer, purely based on price and quality. If I could afford a bos I would probly get it. Ive seen enough 888's blown to know I can't trust those. Can't say I know much about fox besides whats above.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What 888's because last time I remember they needed much rarer servicing than Fox and Boxxer?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I can't remember where I heard this, but it was a legit source. Just to give you an idea on the forks...

8,000 for boxxer
6,000 for 888 and fox

Im personally going to get a boxxer, purely based on price and quality. If I could afford a bos I would probly get it. Ive seen enough 888's blown to know I can't trust those. Can't say I know much about fox besides whats above.

hahahahahahhahahahahahaha :rofl::rofl: I just shot snot out of my nose laughing so hard

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!

8,000 for boxxer
6,000 for 888 and fox

ha this is funny. this explains why my buddies boxxer would have to be rebuilt every 2 weeks while my dorado has been going on months? riiiiiiiiight.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

8,000 for boxxer
6,000 for 888 and fox

No time for the ole' up-downs today love, gotta service me damper cartridge.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

8,000 for boxxer
6,000 for 888 and fox

post of the week.
thanks, i needed a laugh

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I lost count of my fork's ups and downs somewhere in the 2000s back in like July.

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
If I go half down then a quarter up then 3/4's down then an eighth of that up then I bottom out then go all the way up, is that 1,2,3 or 4. Or is there some multiplication rule that I am unaware of?

bryantaber

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
888's Blow since they have switched to manufacturing in taiwan instead of Italy. I had a 04 Monster T that felt so Butter. I cant believe the 888's are made by the same company. They just haven't had the same quality since the change. TAIWAN= More Profit. Boxxers on the other hand have gotten soooooo much better since SRAM took them over. Compession adjustment is barely noticable and the rebound is non existent on my Buddies' (plural) 888s. Sorry for the generalization. It's just how I feel about it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Boxxers on the other hand have gotten soooooo much better since SRAM took them over.
youre right. it only took them a couple of tries to get the 2010 Boxxer's sorted out.

ive been riding my Evo Ti for about two straight weeks now and its performing better than i could ever imagine