Quantcast

Five Ten purchased by Adidas

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm running the Karvers, have been good all season. They are a bit bulky & heavy for trail riding, but have held up well.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got a pair of Basics, which didn't hold up very well at all. They're still hanging in there, but barely... The sole is going to drop right out of them any day now. I could go barefoot, and stylishly!

I've also got the old beige/grey Rennie-boots and I just completed season 3 on them. They're still running strong. They reek like Satan's taint, but they still perform as required...

As far a Addidas goes, I don't see the big deal. Matt Hunter pro model!

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
The Classics suck - even at the Chainlove price. But my Impacts have been solid. Granted I only wear them for dj/ sk8pk, but they still look pretty new after more than a season.

And Adidas has been into to extreme sports for a while already. Dennis McCoy rode for them back in the mid - late 80's.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Massively larger. So large it barely registers on their bottom line, afaik.
Yep, pretty sure Adidas buying 5.10 is 100% about the trendiness of climbing gyms and bouldering geekery. I doubt MTB even came up during negotiations.

As far as rubber compounds, Adidas has more than enough $$ to back an R&D and lawyer swindle combo to get around Stealth rubber patents.

Also, I will be the first in line for a Samba with S1 rubber and a anti-flex shank... and maybe an armored toe box. Love my Impacts, but they are way too wide and ugly... traction knobs on the sides!?!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Also, I will be the first in line for a Samba with S1 rubber and a anti-flex shank... and maybe an armored toe box. Love my Impacts, but they are way too wide and ugly... traction knobs on the sides!?!
Word. I'd be stoked with stealth rubber version shell toe.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Love my Impacts, but they are way too wide and ugly... traction knobs on the sides!?!
Agreed. I have fairly large, wide feet and the 5.10s seem like they are sized for the top 1% of foot width. As 99%'ers, we should probably protest.

I'm on my 3rd pair of 5.10 Impact Highs, last 2 were the Rennie model, which looks a little better. I get one season (use 'em for "xc" and dh) before the soles start to wear through, but by that time they have gotten too soft anyway. They need to use a better shank or whatever you do to keep boots from getting too soft.

I have a pair of the Adidas mtb shoes for platform pedals, they get no use. If I were a dj'er they might be ok.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
listen up the impacts are the ones that hold up to serious abuse...everyone i know that bought the slimmed down versions are unhappy...

I agree they are heavy (wore them for some hiking in utah) but on pedals you dont notice...

I bought the very first gen 'intense' shoes back when i was in college and wore them for everyday shoes...Lasted me all 4 years of school/riding...then my foot blew through them at Diablo 5 years later...those were the original impacts which are somewhat unchanged. Good shoe, heavy, clunky but for dh they are rock n roll.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Not a fan of this sell out makes business sense but then what made them successful is they filled a much needed void and what also made them successful was function point of difference.

I love the chunky looks as you guys call it I'll be buying up some more impacts have 2 pairs Sh and stds love my Hills even more comfy and the sole seems to have a nicer compound to the std black impacts don;t know if thats true but they do feel different on the same pedals and had similar amount of usage.

Also run Minnars on my AM love em too.

Sad day, be OK if Addias doesn't mess with proven formula take the 5:10 designer as well and keep the same formula and keep winning.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Hmm... I don't know why some of you are so upset about this whole thing. Maybe they'll help bring back the skin suits! YEAH!!!

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
My understanding (based on friends that work for Five Ten) is that the riding segment is way, way bigger than their climbing business.
Your friend is dead-on. I believe the figure mentioned was 60/40 bike/climb.....

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Problem is Adidas shoes absolutely suck. I've never seen a pair of Hematomas that didn't fall apart.
I've had two pairs that didnt. I forget what happened to the first pair, but I know I had them for at least 5 seasons of DH'in. My current pair has lasted 3.5 seasons now and are still going strong.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
So,
What part of "Addidas owned Mavic for more than half a decade" don't y'all understand?
Heck, the entire e.13 team raced in Addidas clothes for at least 3 years and they've been pushing their eyeware in cycling for nearly a decade as well. The specifics of the various sub-brands and pseudo licensing agreements are a little complicated but Addidas has certainly had their hands in cycling since Eddy Merckx and Roger DeVlameick were winning races in their shoes in the 70's.

I don't want to be a dink, but if 100% of your products are already made overseas I don't really know how you can "sell out".

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So we all agree on the very obvious, not internet nutjob, reasons for Adidas to buy the company.

Typical purchase price of a biz is 3 times the annual sales (ballpark of course) fits the bill.

1. Stealth rubber
2. Market penetration in bike and climbing shoe industry
3. The enslavement of any and all present and future Troy Lee sponsored athletes
4. Leverage to buyout all stock in Fraser
5. Produce moar rubber foot shimz

Only #1 & #2 should be the obvious and rational reasons, even to you turd brains. :D

As for what Dogboy said, it would make sense. Climbing shoes you buy once ever 5-6 years maybe.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I don't understand all the groaning...this is a very good thing for the sport. As has been mentioned before, cycling has become Five.Ten's key market, and obviously Adidas sees that. Adidas hasn't gotten any traction in the past with their cycling products aside from some support of their eyewear line by guys like Bearclaw, Romaniuk, etc. I can see where people get upset about boutique framebuilders and parts companies selling out, but a "boutique" shoe company? Five.Ten has the kind of following that will force Adidas to continue to innovate and improve cycling footwear.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
I don't reckon it's anything to worry about .5.10 is being brought into the Adidas brand family. Doesn't mean the new impacts will be an Adidas product. It's just coming under the umbrella company which financially will be great for 5.10 and it's future.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I hate to say it but TL;DL... I couldn't get through the second slide. it sounded too much like a business bro-mance. "they're a perfect fit, they're exactly like us, we hit it off from the start".... I probably missed some good stuff later on, but I couldn't make it there.

I normally really like all of Vital's coverage though...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
adi-dass is fun to say in a bad german accent, along with "leviss" (in America known as Levi's). Speaking of, I think RunDMC often rocked adi-dass with leviss.