Quantcast

First Impressions: Specialized S-Works Demo Carbon

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Cause the VPFree and V10 are exactly the same bike other than shock placement ;). I don't think the shock placement is what you are feeling that's noticeable.
Really, its as simple as tipping the bike side to side under you; no deep analysis or 'maths' needed that just obfuscate the obvious.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anyway, I've said my piece. I still think carbon bikes and parts are rad, in reality this has turned into a debate based on quasi-semantics of what particular properties of carbon can create pleasant ride characteristics rather than anything meaningful or practical, mainly because the inner engineer in me hates seeing technical inaccuracies being spread, not because this discussion actually matters!
Nah I'm just not sure you quite understand what I was talking about earlier. You mentioned oscillation frequencies but then dismissed them based on the frequency of impacts on a trail. No I don't ride on the scale of a few Hz.....I know that. But that wasn't the type of 'calmness' I've felt in road bikes for years and in one of the dh bikes in particular that's out there. It really is a resonance from impacts, not the low frequency of trail hits. Not every carbon bike I've ridden feels like this......like a GT for instance. But the V10s? Yeah.....there's something going on there that was never present in any of their aluminum frames. It's the exact same feel I've felt on a bunch of different carbon road bikes. It's not flex, and it's not imaginary. So when DP says something similar about a new carbon spec demo 8, I believe him. There are lots of things that you're not supposed to be able to feel but plenty of riders do........in suspension, in tires, in cranks.....

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Nah I'm just not sure you quite understand what I was talking about earlier. You mentioned oscillation frequencies but then dismissed them based on the frequency of impacts on a trail. No I don't ride on the scale of a few Hz.....I know that. But that wasn't the type of 'calmness' I've felt in road bikes for years and in one of the dh bikes in particular that's out there. It really is a resonance from impacts, not the low frequency of trail hits. Not every carbon bike I've ridden feels like this......like a GT for instance. But the V10s? Yeah.....there's something going on there that was never present in any of their aluminum frames. It's the exact same feel I've felt on a bunch of different carbon road bikes. It's not flex, and it's not imaginary. So when DP says something similar about a new carbon spec demo 8, I believe him. There are lots of things that you're not supposed to be able to feel but plenty of riders do........in suspension, in tires, in cranks.....

I will have a handle of Jack and a carbon DH bike in south shore this weekend.

You guys having any "DH group rides" to test the vibration and impact resonance damping capabilities of the frame and whiskey filtering capabilities of my liver?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I will have a handle of Jack and a carbon DH bike in south shore this weekend.

You guys having any "DH group rides" to test the vibration and impact resonance damping capabilities of the frame and whiskey filtering capabilities of my liver?
I have a trail down here to test it out on. The official record is 1:41 it has been that since 2000..... :)

Shepherdwong

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
Might be wrong but throwing this out there, once up to speed aren't most hits more like square waves(many frequencies present) than simple low frequency? Also don't nearly all hits have components perpendicular(side to side and straight back) to the direction the suspension moves in and thus are only dampened by the frame/tires/spokes like a road bike?

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've noticed the (relatively subtle) differences between materials in hardtail applications, but having owned steel, aluminum & carbon dh bikes, i think material composition is pretty much superfluous in comparison to geometry & suspension design considerations. i'd consider the merits of carbon on the basis of superior strength to weight ratio, but that's about it. fully subjective, seat of pants testing, of course.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
i've noticed the (relatively subtle) differences between materials in hardtail applications, but having owned steel, aluminum & carbon dh bikes, i think material composition is pretty much superfluous in comparison to geometry & suspension design considerations. i'd consider the merits of carbon on the basis of superior strength to weight ratio, but that's about it. fully subjective, seat of pants testing, of course.
Sure, I'd rather have a good aluminum bike than a carbon bike with crappy geometry or suspension. But what about the same bike? For example, the carbon or aluminum version of a nomad? The difference is not superfluous in my opinion.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yeah, perhaps my sentiment was ill-presented; for sure i'd chose the carbon nomad - for lighter weight, greater stiffness, and (perhaps) greater long term longevity, so yes, not superfluous differences. the whole high-frequency oscillation damping thing leading to some sort of tangible performance gain (in the context of long travel frames), is, imo, bunk. however, believe what you want to believe. carbon is rad, regardless. cool to see people finally embracing the stuff.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I did a run on a carbon v10 today. Wasn't impressed. Cost about 3 times of my bike was 1kg lighter and didn't ride as good (ok the owner knows **** about suspesion and runs his rebound way too fast.

As of that I couldn't really notice that oscillation-thingys that make you guys faster.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
yeah, perhaps my sentiment was ill-presented; for sure i'd chose the carbon nomad - for lighter weight, greater stiffness, and (perhaps) greater long term longevity, so yes, not superfluous differences. the whole high-frequency oscillation damping thing leading to some sort of tangible performance gain (in the context of long travel frames), is, imo, bunk. however, believe what you want to believe. carbon is rad, regardless. cool to see people finally embracing the stuff.
Fair enough. There is an argument that at this point we are talking about marginal differences, so any slight improvement counts. In any case, it's true that I'm pretty much equally slow on carbon and aluminum bikes. :D

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yes it is.
Absolutely don't like. Seems like the guy who designed the graphics of the helmets is now responsible for the special(ized) edition bikes.
Luckily they've got a new one for the helmets.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Reread if it wasn't clear; I didn't say it made a difference (or that it didn't.), only that it could be felt.

the shock on my v10c is a full foot lower in the frame than the shock on my VPFree, it's very noticeable; I don't think that's why I'm faster on it -- that's just because its a way better bike in every way (for DH)[Stiffer, lower, longer, slacker, lighter, more travel...]

1 kilo on my 18 kilo XL V10c is a liiiiiiitle bit more than 1% (5.5% actually).
So you weight nothing? Are you the first weightless man? If no than it's around 1%. Again it's rider + bike, not the bike alone. That's why lower bb actually makes a difference.

As for the vp-free vs v10 - vp-free has a high bb height. It's a silly comparison since they are completely different bikes anyway. It's a fake correlation and it can lead you to some really silly ideas.

Tipping the bike under you doesn't mean **** unless again you are weightless. It is noticeable if you tip it without a rider but when you ride? Not really. Want to make experiment - take one of your bikes and strap something around 1kg to your downtube. - you will feel it in the parking lot but on trail? Placebo at best.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So you weight nothing? Are you the first weightless man? If no than it's around 1%. Again it's rider + bike, not the bike alone. That's why lower bb actually makes a difference.

As for the vp-free vs v10 - vp-free has a high bb height. It's a silly comparison since they are completely different bikes anyway. It's a fake correlation and it can lead you to some really silly ideas.

Tipping the bike under you doesn't mean **** unless again you are weightless. It is noticeable if you tip it without a rider but when you ride? Not really. Want to make experiment - take one of your bikes and strap something around 1kg to your downtube. - you will feel it in the parking lot but on trail? Placebo at best.
Yes, BB height makes a difference, but isnt dependent on or exclusive of other design factors. Is bike weight irrelevant? Screw 1kg, why not 2? Is there no advantage to a lighter or balanced bike? Have you never noticed a heavy fork that's .5kg more than another? Moving 60g of rotational weight to the hub on a wheel is a big deal, but moving 1000g on the frame is inconsequential? Bike + Rider is NOT one mass. Physics are apparently subjective in your world, not mine.

Yes, I would notice the 1kg strapped to my downtube, you think you wouldnt? Now strap it to the top tube.

I never said whether it made a difference in performance; it's definitely not placebo no matter how hard you insist.

Would you like to see President Obama's birth certificate now?

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
That's why lower bb actually makes a difference.
This.

The TLD Ltd Demo looks like a kids bike who put flame stickers on it - actually cool for a 5-6 year old boy who loves his bike (It was really cool when I was that young :D).

Also, the whole checkered flag theme is so 2007.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Is bike weight irrelevant? Screw 2lbs, why not 4? No advantage to a lighter or balanced bike? Never noticed a heavy fork thats 1lb more than another?
Where did I say weight is irrelevant? I've said shock placement is irrelevant. It's centralized mass anyway so it hass little problem. As for the fork - I never went 1kg in fork weight differance on the same bike so I won't comment on that. If you want to base you assumptions on the same idea as your vp-free vs v10 feel free to do it.

Dropping 60g of rotational weight on a wheel is nirvana, but moving 900g is inconsequential? Bike + Rider is not one mass. Physics are apparently subjective in your world, not mine
You either need to go back to school for reading comprehension skills or phisics. I never said bike + rider is one mass in all cases but if you calculate the effective CoG than you have to take rider mass as well. I agree in many cases rider mass should not be taken into equation but if you think it's the same for CoG calculation you are delusional.
1. Why the hell then f1 and other race cars try to put the seat as low as possible even when the driver is a smaller part of the system? Because the seat weights so much? Well that or they just know less than you because you rode 2 completely different bikes and found some correlation. I'd check if you didn't ride different socks on those bikes because they may influence your Cog :rolleyes:

2. Find a chance to ride 2 different horizontal bikes. 1 that is as close to the ground as possible, another one that is much higher (1m above the ground). Come back to me after that and tell me rider mass doesn't matter.

If you ever hike try putting all the weight at the top of your pack and tell me how it works out. Or maybe a lopsided centrifuge would convince you.
That's almost as irrelevant comparison as your vp-free vs v10 one.

but in the end all I have to say to you is this:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
If you want to base you assumptions on the same idea as your vp-free vs v10 feel free to do it.
You are the one assuming I am basing this on one comparison.

And, as an aside - my VPFree has an 8.25" x 2.25" shock giving it 7" travel vs 8.5 stock, and a ~14" BB and a 64deg head angle. But I propose you were assuming stock. Still not an ideal comparison, but hardly the dogged difference you have exclaimed.

I never said rider mass doesn't matter, you are the one discounting variables.

F1 (or Nascar etc...) puts ALL the weight it can as low as possible. Refer to your own example.

I am making no assumptions, I am observing the laws of physics, while you vociferously avoid them.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You are the one assuming I am basing this on one comparison.

F1 (or Nascar, or..) puts ALL the weight it can as low as possible. Refer to your own example.

I am making no assumptions, I am observing the laws of physics, while you vociferously avoid them.
Can you at least try to respond to my post instead of repeating I avoid laws of phisics. Which ones? It's you who claims putting 1kg more on the top of your backpack matters yet the weight of an 80kg rider doesn't matter.
Also read my post again - I didn't say weight placement doesn't matter, it doesn't matter in this case. Not in a noticeable way. It's 1% of the system weight moved by what? 10cm? How many mm do you think it will lower the rider + bike Cog on trail? Seriously make a guess.

Again please at least try responding to my post instead of just posting "you dont knowz phizikz, duuuh" over and over again.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Can you at least try to respond to my post instead of repeating I avoid laws of phisics. Which ones? It's you who claims putting 1kg more on the top of your backpack matters yet the weight of an 80kg rider doesn't matter.
Also read my post again - I didn't say weight placement doesn't matter, it doesn't matter in this case. Not in a noticeable way. It's 1% of the system weight moved by what? 10cm? How many mm do you think it will lower the rider + bike Cog on trail? Seriously make a guess.

Again please at least try responding to my post instead of just posting "you dont knowz phizikz, duuuh" over and over again.
You are overanalyzing. I can feel the difference, if you cannot, woe unto you. I have addressed your points, they are extremely overstated and bloated with opinion; you dismissed my backpack example out of turn when it is perfectly valid example of weight distribution, and as a small percentage of a combined package (is the pack somehow independent in a way the bike is not?).

I repeat the term physics, because it supports my argument; you have conceded that ("1%") but denied the 'noticeability'. No matter how many ways you look at it, and whether or not you feel it - moving the shock lower in the frame effects the bikes balance - which is something that I and others can feel. Weight placement of components on your bike can be very noticeable without being drastic.

The bike is not part of you, it's weight, and the distribution of weight throughout its structure effect the way it handles, independent of your weight. YES there are combined properties, but your discounting the distribution of weight in the bike is no different than your NOT discounting overall bike weight.

I didnt, and wouldnt say "you dont knowz phiziks", just that you choose to avoid their real world impact because YOU dont feel the difference and feel the need to deride and defeat another who claims to as feeling a placebo.

Why are you so interested in trying to prove that point?

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You are overanalyzing. I can feel the difference, if you cannot, woe unto you.

I repeat the term physics, because it supports my argument; you have conceded that ("1%") but denied the 'noticeability'. No matter how many ways you look at it, and whether or not you feel it - moving the shock lower in the frame effects the bikes balance - which is something that I and others can feel. Weight placement of components on your bike can be very noticeable without being drastic.
1. You can feel the differance on 2 completely different bikes. Of course the one with if I remember right close to 0.5'' lower bb will feel like it has lower CoG.
2. There are people who feel the touch of Jesus and that doesn't make them right. Same for any placebo. Unless you can give me a reasonable why would that make a noticeable difference when moving the shock lowers your cog probably by a few mm at best, probably less.

Also how does phisics proove how much you notice something? The only thing it proves that yeah lowering the shock lowers the cog but it also proves that 1% being a couple of cm lower will lower your cog by only a fraction of that couple mm the shock was moved.

I still don't understand why do you claim moving the shock a couple cm will move the shock close to that value.

The bike is not part of you, it's weight, and the distribution of weight throughout its structure effect the way it handles, independent of your weight. YES there are combined properties, but your discounting the distribution of weight in the bike is no different than your NOT discounting overall bike weight
Yes independent of your weight. When do you ride can you please give me examples when your bike behaves independent in your weight? I will give you 2 examples:
- Jumping
- Crashing

What others are they? If you feel that a lower CoG mid air helps you feel free to do so but in other areas of ride you have to calculate the rider weight because you steer the bike with your body (well unless you never lean into turns and only steer with your bars).

I'm not discounting it - as see it as a part of the system. You on the other hand discount the rider.

I didnt, and wouldnt say "you dont knowz phiziks", just that you choose to avoid their real world impact because YOU dont feel the difference and feel the need to deride and defeat another who claims to as feeling a placebo.
So how is me not feeling the right worse than you feeling it? So if you feel it it's phisics and if I don't it's not? Not to mention I don't say I don't feel it, I say I'm not thinking about it because all the different bikes I rode had different geometry, bars, stem length etc., not only shock placement as you claimed with your vp-free and v10 comparison.

The only feel example I used are horizontal bikes because of the huge difference between rider height from the ground while most of the mass of the bike stays in a similar place. I tried them on a german bike expe and I was very surprised how unrideable some of the higher seated bikes were.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
1. You can feel the differance on 2 completely different bikes. Of course the one with if I remember right close to 0.5'' lower bb will feel like it has lower CoG.
2. There are people who feel the touch of Jesus and that doesn't make them right. Same for any placebo. Unless you can give me a reasonable why would that make a noticeable difference when moving the shock lowers your cog probably by a few mm at best, probably less.

Also how does phisics proove how much you notice something? The only thing it proves that yeah lowering the shock lowers the cog but it also proves that 1% being a couple of cm lower will lower your cog by only a fraction of that couple mm the shock was moved.

I still don't understand why do you claim moving the shock a couple cm will move the shock close to that value.

Yes independent of your weight. When do you ride can you please give me examples when your bike behaves independent in your weight? I will give you 2 examples:
- Jumping
- Crashing

What others are they? If you feel that a lower CoG mid air helps you feel free to do so but in other areas of ride you have to calculate the rider weight because you steer the bike with your body (well unless you never lean into turns and only steer with your bars).

I'm not discounting it - as see it as a part of the system. You on the other hand discount the rider.

So how is me not feeling the right worse than you feeling it? So if you feel it it's phisics and if I don't it's not? Not to mention I don't say I don't feel it, I say I'm not thinking about it because all the different bikes I rode had different geometry, bars, stem length etc., not only shock placement as you claimed with your vp-free and v10 comparison.

The only feel example I used are horizontal bikes because of the huge difference between rider height from the ground while most of the mass of the bike stays in a similar place. I tried them on a german bike expe and I was very surprised how unrideable some of the higher seated bikes were.
Yes, my entire argument is based on the comparison between my VPFree and V10. I have never ridden any other bikes. Ever. (Clue: it was AN example. And short shocked, pretty close Geo except the WB) Bicycles move around under you, left, right, up, down, forward, back - even when you're on the ground - separate masses acting on each other at ALL times; more noticeable when you leave the ground, of course.

Forget it. This is binary, it's real no matter what lengths you go to rationalize it. You concede the difference only you say it's not noticeable, I say it is.

That would boil down to opinion - mine at least has the 1% behind it, yours only has doubt.

I get it, you can't feel it, go celebrate your obstinance!

'combined COG' - n/a

Last edited:

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
To get into the Huck Banzai / Norbar debate, I believe that it is important to consider the bike as a separate mass from the rider. Sure there are cases where they act together, but when riding dynamically, they are quite separate, and quite unlike a formula race car where the driver's mass is almost motionless.

The first thing I learned in a DH lesson from Shaums March is to separate your bike from yourself. Look at how he corners:

This is where a low bike COG can be best felt: whipping your bike over from side to side.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Kind of the same thing with not riding with a death grip, i definitely agree that going through switchbacks the cog of the bike matters. A low cog means less mass has to be transferred side to side while going between turns which in turn means a quicker responding bike.

However i think shock placement matters the most when it regards a long coil shocks placement, while i suspect that moving, say an rp23 wont make as much of a difference since it is pretty light in comparison.

livanh

Chimp
Jun 17, 2011
- Jumping
- Crashing
The bike does move a ****ton more under you. the better a rider the more you move the bike around while your upper body is calm. cornering, coasting over rocks, flicking around rocks etc etc all examples where weight distribution of the bike plays a role.

looking at rider + bike as one is probably right for newbs though.