Quantcast

Elbow Guards

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Here at the Euro races, the rules state elbow guards as mandatory.

I hate 'em. :plthumbsdown:

I'm after the bare minimum elbow guards to get around this stupid rule. I'm talking stretching a sock over my elbows. Something I won't know are there, but will satisfy the officials.

Whats out there?

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
I would say definitely go with something that is a sleeve and doesn't have straps. I have a set of TLD elbow guards, and while I like them, they tend to increase arm pump, or rather bring it on sooner than it should.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
there was a company, some big skate lid co, that does fake arm and knee pads. They are printed to look like the real thing, but are just neoprene or something.

Seriously though, why not wear real pads?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Because I hate sht on my arms. I don't like body armour at all, but realise it's need. I wouldn't go so far as fake arm/knee pads.

TLD came up trumps with their T-Bones for the knees, and I think the 661 Evo lite XC elbows could be alright.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'd go to your nearest sports store and pick up some neoprene elbow wraps.

The 661 Evo's offer great flexibility with the D3O material.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey Damo,
I got in a big argument with the heads of IXS about this at the Chatel race and they were trying to tell me that a Leatt brace was ridiculous and that they can't believe that riders would even consider wearing one without a full upper pad suit. I tried to explain what the riders think and they didn't want to hear it. They started attacking me for not wearing gloves and I asked them why I should and that I don't even race? We even started yelling and it didn't finish well. They are an uptight bunch, eh?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yeah, I remember that incident too Ben.

One of our lads on the Playbiker Iron Horse team was told he had to wear gloves, so he cut the palms & fingers out to please them. He had a Leatt brace on too. They told him it was ridiculous. One of the other team members was told he had to wear elbow pads, so he borrowed some, then crashed in his race run from arm pump.

Fcken retards if you ask me.

I raced a German iXS DH a few years back. I couldn't put my upper body armor on because my arm was in plaster (I had the cast formed around my handlebars so I could still race, but that's another story) and my knee pads were stolen the night before the race. I qualified 12th wearing just shorts and t-shirt, but they disqualified me and banned me from racing there.

I fully understand the consequences of not wearing armor, but it is a decision we, the racers, should make ourselves. I hate upper body armor, but will wear a back plate on particularly gnarly courses. I will always wear knee pads however.

/end rant.

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
I'm searching some guards too...i want something confortable...but protective for the elbow...it should be something like a sock...

i watched the 661 chicken wing but they looks a little bit too soft...

but maybe the 661 chicken wings could work for you

Last edited:

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
azonic makes a elbow wrap i am thinking about. they look light and i hear they stay in place, i tried the ones that strap with velcro and they sucked. nothing worse than elbow pads that end up on wrists just from not even crashing.