Quantcast

Eclipse Tubes anyone tried them yet ?

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
So myself and my riding buddies have being getting sick of killing the current selection of tubeless all mountain tires. I dont want to put my almost new tubeless tires in the bin just because of a small hole that sealant wont fix and I'm back to running regular tubes in the rear. That leaves me back to getting regular pinch flats on rides which is a pain in the ass. Some of the guys have gone back to running dh tires but im too fat and lazy to sacrifice the low rolling resistance of the All Mountain tires. So some time ago I heard that the Syndicate team were using these Elipse super lightweight tubes in there V10s

at €49 a tube even at trade prices these will be an expensive experiment so Im wondering if any of you Monkeys have tried them out and if so how did you find them ?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No troll here. But wasn't there just a thread on these? It had some more information on them and if I remember correctly, someone posted about using them.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
A tube that costs the same as a tire, so you don't have to buy a new tire? Doesn't sound like a wise investment unless they're impossible to flat.

I just use super-glue on holes that Stans won't heal, never let me down, and never had to toss a tubeless tire due to a hole.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I may hit them up and try out 2. I tried emailing the distributor awhile back and never got a response.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Try the Taiwanese alternative, FOSS EFT tubes. Cheaper, but not as cheap as a regular tube ($14-20 on Ebay). About 30% lighter than a regular 2.25" tube though... And never had a pinch flat since I use them. They are really good at keeping the air in when they get punctured. I even ran my rear tire with a couple of thorns in it for a week without noticing it...

BTW, I tried the cigarette lighter method to repair a puncture. It worked OK two out of three times, and in the last attempt the darn tube caught fire... I'm using their self-adhesive patches ever since.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I just ordered a pair of 2.35" to try on my 6" bike. $30 shipped for 2. We'll see how they hold up, I'm a wheel destroying hack....
Are you talking about the FOSS tubes? If so, a couple of recommendations: if you get a puncture, DO NOT OVERINFLATE THEM to find it. They are made of a much more dense material, which helps them to close the puncture around the object which caused it, but that very material makes them not as elastic as plain old rubber. If you overinflate them out of the tire they will stretch and deform. Also, pay attention to where should the gluing be in relation to the wheel's rotation direction.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
A tube that costs the same as a tire, so you don't have to buy a new tire? Doesn't sound like a wise investment unless they're impossible to flat.

I just use super-glue on holes that Stans won't heal, never let me down, and never had to toss a tubeless tire due to a hole.
they're ment to be impossible to flat but I was wondering how true that was. If they live up to there reputation having one in the back could be a big advantage for me especially when racing. Nothing feels like burning money like a race ruined by a puncture.

Cheers for the heads up on the FOSS EFT Tubes i might order a few tonight